Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Peacekpr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

My wife and I have been having a discussion on what constitutes the ultimate kit. I tend to look at things from an engineer's prospective while my journalist wife has a different POV.

I should mention we often do weddings in the summer for fun and travel extensively in the other seasons.

So I like to have one cropped sensor camera with weather sealing for outdoors work. The 7D with a 24-105L and a 100-400L fits this nicely.

For weddings we stick to full frames (5d3 & 1DS3, prime lenses (35L,50L, & 85L) and rounded out with a shared 24-70L 2.8 Mk2, and a 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk2.

For journalism she uses a Sigma 18-200 DC OS on a 7D.

What do you use and what are the benefits in your opinion? If you had unlimited funds; what kit would you own?

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Peacekpr wrote:
If you had unlimited funds; what kit would you own?

Logically, if I had unlimited funds I would own at least one of every camera, lens, flash, lighting system, processing computer, tripod, tripod head, rails, bag, and filter made. I would also own a large enough warehouse to store it all, and possible several around the world with duplicates to act as depots for when I am traveling. I would also hire several assistants to maintain and organize it and to buy new equipment as it becomes available.

Questions like the one you pose are meaningless but entertain forumtographers endlessly.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:56 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Monito wrote:
Questions like the one you pose are meaningless but entertain forumtographers endlessly.

In response to the OP, this question is kinda meaningless. As with any profession or hobby, one has equipment that one needs to do what one wants. My gear list constantly changes, the only constants being a decent camera body and fast mid-range zoom, and I'm not sure my current habits or gear list would change if I had unlimited funds (although I might buy a 600mm lens just to see what it was like to play in the superzoom league)

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:04 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

pipspeak wrote:
As with any profession or hobby, one has equipment that one needs to do what one wants

Often with hobbyists, they get the equipment they want and then try to rationalize it as a "need".

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:06 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Monito wrote:
Often with hobbyists, they get the equipment they want and then try to rationalize it as a "need".

True and I've been there in the past, buying something that intrigues me in the hope it would lead me to pastures new, only to have it gather dust in a closet. But then I discovered the B&S boards here

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:10 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

A short answer, your current kit would do me just fine, only thing missing would be a high grade point-n-shoot and a super tele like the 500 f4L II

As for an 'ultimate' kit, I don't really know as I've not had any significant time with top-of-the-line gear. Having never used Leica, Zeiss glass, nor any of the Mark II glass Canon has released, I'm at a loss for what would be 'best. Ultimately I'm nearly there already, mostly because of physical issues with grip and gear weight.

So here goes...first a high-end point-n-shoot like my G12 or the new G1XII.

Bodies
- 1 fast FPS Crop body; 1.3 or 1.6X; 7D or maybe a 1DIV...for anything action related.
- 1 FF body; 5D2/6D or 5D3; for city/landscapes, macro, portraits and other mostly static subjects.
- 1 film; one of my an EOS3s, for everything...

Lenses
- Smaller/lighter zooms, 17-40L, 24-70 or 24-105 f4 IS and 70-200 f4L IS
- Shorter Primes, 24 f2.8 IS, 35 f2 IS, 50 f1.4, 100L macro
- Longer Primes, 300 f4L, 400 f5.6L or 100-400L
- Super Teles, maybe the 500L II or the new 200-400L

Flash
- Update my older flash gear to to newer radio versions; 600RTs.

You can view my profile for my current gear list, as said I'm kinda close, there's just the longer glass and a FF body that are missing...I'm quite happy where I'm at today...sorta

That said, I could be most happy with 'just' a crop body and a small set of primes, something wide like a 24, the 100L Macro and 300, one flash, extension tubes and a 1.4x T/C and my G12...plus my 36yr old Domke F2, gotta have a nice/snazzy bag to carry things in...right

Jerry

PS. No small children, animals or any other creatures were injured during this reply/fantasy, some bugs were shot earlier but were not terminated, they flew away in peace or very agitated, I couldn't tell due to a viewfinder blocking my peripheral vision

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 05:42 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:29 PM
nads
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

My kit is much more rounded with the addition of the EOS-M with 11-22 and 22mm 2.0.

I've been crop only since the days of the 300D and I've always owned a single body. The M gives me the 2nd body and the 11-22 quickly replaced my trusty Tokina 12-24.

My most common shooting has become candid shots of the kids with the 22mm on the unobtrusive body that goes everywhere and picks shot after shot in situations where the 7D would never have been. Nevermind the fact that short of going full frame, a fast 35mm equivalent FOV isn't available on a crop body Canon.

I know I'm becoming a EOS M fanboy... I can't help it, it keeps on delivering for me.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

I do most of my DSLR shooting between 16mm and 135mm. I like both zooms and primes, with a special fondness for TSE and macro lenses.

I like a variety of formats, and stay for the most part between 24mm and 135mm equiv. for P&S and M43.

That gives me a pretty wide range to choose from, and I try to cover every focal length and fill every chink in both zoom and prime within that range. Viva la redundancia!

I'd say the OP is pretty advanced along the same vein. (Except for the sharing aspect! )

Apr 18, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Monito wrote:

Wow. Aren't you condescending. If you didn't like the question there was no reason to reply, unless you just needed to put others down to elevate yourself.

Why not just let people discuss what it is they would like? What's wrong with letting people have an occasional dream?

Apr 18, 2014 at 06:48 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Peacekpr wrote:
Why not just let people discuss what it is they would like?

What part of "entertain forumtographers endlessly" did you not understand? You style yourself as a "peacekeeper", but I have no such powers and no such designs on controlling what people discuss. The only reasonable interpretation of my phrase there is "Carry on! Go right ahead! You will anyway!"

It was a prediction, not a prohibition.

Peacekpr wrote:
What's wrong with letting people have an occasional dream?

Nothing I said denied people their dreams. I posted my dream, but you seem too interested in slamming me to notice and thus you got my intentions backwards.

Peacekpr wrote:
Wow. Aren't you condescending.

I dunno. If you feel condescended to, does the shoe fit? Perhaps it came a little too close to home? Another poster took it in the light-hearted way it was written. Do I have to put a smiley emoticon on everything?

Peacekpr wrote:
to elevate yourself.

I don't need to elevate or lower myself, since I don't see it as a competition. Perhaps you do since you think in those terms.

Relax.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Peacekpr wrote:
Wow. Aren't you condescending. If you didn't like the question there was no reason to reply, unless you just needed to put others down to elevate yourself.

Why not just let people discuss what it is they would like? What's wrong with letting people have an occasional dream?

Actually, Monito uttered a major truth, and in no condescending tone.
Many of us have waaaay too much gears for what we do photographically. Some soulsearching in that direction could not hurt.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

I agree with the former answers: "it depends".

I have what many feel is a classic kit: Leica M3 with 35, 50 and 90mm Summicrons. There's not much in general photography that I couldn't do adequately with that setup.

However, I have my fantasies. One is to take a dream kit to Tuscany. Just for fun, I actually looked up transatlantic cruises on the QEII because I couldn't figure out any other way to get all the gear there. My incomplete list was all primes, including 17 & 24mm TS, some ultrawides, the fastest 50, 85,135,200,300 & 400 Canon makes. A boy can dream, can't he?

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Currently the Sony RX1 and a Canon 5D3 w/70-200 f2.8L look good. But the RX1 being slightly crippled I am waiting to see what comes out next.

But essentially, being highly personal, those two cameras could feasibly do it for me. RX1 for walk arounds and when my hands are full - the 5D3 w/70-200 f2.8L for events and festivals and riots and, and, and...

I actually would like to keep my 135 f2L on the 5D3 and bung the Sigma 35 f1.4 on a Canon fullframe mirrorless... waiting, waiting.

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:27 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

I am completely satisfied with the gear I have. There is no camera or lens that I want at this time. I would just like to experience the enjoyment of being able to use it more .

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:34 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

mitesh wrote:
I am completely satisfied with the gear I have. There is no camera or lens that I want at this time. I would just like to experience the enjoyment of being able to use it more .

There's always plenty of gear I lust after, but I'm with you on the latter. I think rather than fantasize about gear I'd like I would rather fantasize about time I wish I had and trips I'd like to take to use the gear I already have to its full creative and technical potential

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:39 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

I`m finally GAS free.

I'm using a MK4, 400DO, Sigma 70-200 OS, and Tammy 24-70VC.

If money was no object, I'd be using a 1DX, 600f4 II, 70-200 II, and Canon 24-70 II

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:51 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Sports/wildlife body. X
Landscape/portrait body. X
Latest 16-200 f/2.8 in zoom lenses. X
Macro lens. X
500mm f/4L IS II. X
Extenders. X
Flashes. X
Tripods & bags. X

OK, I'm good.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Monito wrote:

Been guilty of that rationalization. Thank goodness for the FM Buy & Sell forum!

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

My idea of a well rounded kit is too avoid the current Leica digital rangefinder-like cameras (eg, Fuji X-E1). These seem much too angular, and I prefer the sleek rounded form of Canon DSLRs.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:07 PM
dmahar
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your idea of a well rounded Kit?

Ok, I'll play.

1D iv for crop body
5diii for full frame
Eos m for casual and underwater (don't want to risk flooding $3k + bodies!)

16-35ii
24-70ii
100l macro
70-200ii
100-400L
200-400L
1.4 TC

600 ex

This is what I would keep from my current GAS collection if I had to pick a "perfect set"

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:37 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.