FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Metal extension tubes

mfrank999
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metal extension tubes

For the D800 and 300 f4 lens.
What are the higher quality AF extension tubes, and are any of them metal?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM
euua
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metal extension tubes

nikon PN 11 - full manual with full metal body
There is not much you can get in good metal tubes with full body support.

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:22 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metal extension tubes

Get generic or Tamron tubes.

They basically "extend" the lens from the body and create an enlarged image.

They are usually sold insets of three and I have yet to know the difference between the generic and the brand tubes

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:32 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metal extension tubes

The kenko ones are AF and metal

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:50 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metal extension tubes

m.sommers00 wrote:
The kenko ones are AF and metal

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

+1

Guy

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metal extension tubes

i'm afraid the Kenko ones are not all metal the bodies are polymer. i have them. nor do they need to be all metal either. they are AF though

the actual attachment breech mount components are chromed metal though.

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Metal extension tubes

The Kenko AF Nikon extension tubes I have are plastic bodied. Unless they have changed them(possible, but no mention of metal in that B&H page), to get metal, you could buy a junked Nikon teleconverter and knock out the glass

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Metal extension tubes

Heres what i have used for years, a Vivitar 2X macro focusing converter ( with the elements removed). This gives you a nice focusing helicoid like extension. The tube is about 45MM collasped and grows to 60MM extended. I had lots of luck on a 300 EDIF screw drive lens. Glass can easily be removed with simple household tools. If you have to remove an element by force, EYE PROTECTION is a must. Tubes are usaually available from KEH Camera. I have both Nikon and Canon FD. They think more of the Nikon mount price wise. Heres a quick idea what can be done with a FD 300MM lens. The Vivitar collasped brings the inf. focus down to about 9 feet. The target size is similar to a post card, 31/2 inches X 5 inches. See photo two for hand held shot. The Canon MFD is about 91/2 feet and its moved to about 31/2 feet, see photo three. The target size is about 1 1/2 inches by 2 inches. Focusinf with the Vivitar focus ring of course moves you closer as desired. I had to break the final (4th. element ) in each one i did. I believe Carsten on FM was able to remove all four.
Harry Palmer

Glass less Vivitar macro focusing converter

Target at MFD , 1 1/2 X 2 inches .

Image two, target at Inf. , 3 1/2 X 5 inches

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:39 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Metal extension tubes

euua wrote:
nikon PN 11 - full manual with full metal body
There is not much you can get in good metal tubes with full body support.

I second this.

The PN-11 is a solid, one piece tube. For the 300mm, you need a fair amount of extension and the 52mm of the PN-11 is excellent.

I tried the Kenko tubes and found that the three tubes together after use would sometimes be just loose enough to cause connection problems.

At high magnification you'll rarely be using autofocus, and the camera can meter on-sensor so you really don't lose much.

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:36 PM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Metal extension tubes

I have used the Kenko's with my 70-200 with no problem at all. Great butterfly combo. I wouldn't stack them with that lens, but never wanted to anyway.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Metal extension tubes

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Heres what i have used for years, a Vivitar 2X macro focusing converter ( with the elements removed). This gives you a nice focusing helicoid like extension. The tube is about 45MM collasped and grows to 60MM extended. I had lots of luck on a 300 EDIF screw drive lens. Glass can easily be removed with simple household tools. If you have to remove an element by force, EYE PROTECTION is a must. Tubes are usaually available from KEH Camera. I have both Nikon and Canon FD. They think more of the Nikon mount price wise. Heres a quick idea
...Show more

That's pretty cool! I may have to give that a try - I used to use old TCs for extension tubes, but one that focuses would be pretty sweet.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:25 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Metal extension tubes

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Heres what i have used for years, a Vivitar 2X macro focusing converter ( with the elements removed). This gives you a nice focusing helicoid like extension. The tube is about 45MM collasped and grows to 60MM extended. I had lots of luck on a 300 EDIF screw drive lens. Glass can easily be removed with simple household tools. If you have to remove an element by force, EYE PROTECTION is a must. Tubes are usaually available from KEH Camera. I have both Nikon and Canon FD. They think more of the Nikon mount price wise. Heres a quick idea
...Show more
Thanks for sharing. I might give that a try. My dislike of the Canon close up lens is having to move the camera back and forth to fine focus.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:08 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Metal extension tubes

MitchSC wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I might give that a try. My dislike of the Canon close up lens is having to move the camera back and forth to fine focus.

Then tubes are not your solution, because the focusing process will be very similar (using AF and fine tuning by moving the camera back and forth).

Guy

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Metal extension tubes

I use a PN-11 as well, built super well, and can accept a collar. No AF, but that's usually OK for macro applications. The Kenko tubes are not metal unless they have recently changed, but they offer AF.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Metal extension tubes

Picked up the Kenko set for Canon AF, all metal there, no reason to believe that the F-mount version would be different, they retail for about $200. AF functions well with enough light, as does IS and so on.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Metal extension tubes

gugs wrote:
Then tubes are not your solution, because the focusing process will be very similar (using AF and fine tuning by moving the camera back and forth).

Guy

That's why the make focus rails. They are universal in use

Apr 23, 2014 at 06:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Metal extension tubes

johnctharp wrote:
Picked up the Kenko set for Canon AF, all metal there, no reason to believe that the F-mount version would be different, they retail for about $200. AF functions well with enough light, as does IS and so on.

These?

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:00 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Metal extension tubes

sjms wrote:
That's why the make focus rails. They are universal in use

Like these:

various_-9 by gugs, on Flickr

Guy

Apr 23, 2014 at 08:26 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Metal extension tubes

sjms wrote:
These?

Those are the ones!

Apr 23, 2014 at 08:33 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Metal extension tubes

Best metal tubes I can think of:

From left to right:
Left top: PN-11 (52,5mm)
Left bottom: PK-13 (27,5mm)
PK-11 (8mm)
PK-12 (14mm)
And on th eright another PK-13 (27,5mm)

They do not offer AF or electronic contacts but I never found those very useful when using tubes. These tubes are rock solid, even when stacked. I no longer own the 200-600 f9,5 K zoom Nikkor but I would mount that to these tubes even when stacked. I mounted it to a PK-13 once and couldn't notice a difference in stability compared to mounting the lens directly to the camera.

This of course only applies when you find a set that is not completely worn down.

Apr 23, 2014 at 08:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.