Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

roman.johnston
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Inspired by the series Cosmos, decided I would give it a first try at doing Star Trails photography. Tired of the same old same old for the tulip festival. Called ahead and got permission from the wonderful owners over at Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival in Woodburn Or. Place closes at 6:00PM....almost everybody out at 8:00.....was up on a high perch...tripod all set up and sat and watched the world go by. Coyotes serenaded me as the lights went down and the stars started to come out. I thought ahead and wore an extra layer, but should have brought thin gloves. It was an awesome evening.

Then the stars started to shine. Time to get to work. Focused on the bright moon....set camera to manual focus. got shot composed....took a few test shots to insure composition and exposures were what I wanted (viewfinder was almost useless) Amazed that the 2/3 moon was MORE than enough to keep the ISO at sane levels and even Mt. Hood as well as the tulips were actually quite well lit.

Set interval timer to 30 seconds, and 300 shots. Put my folding chair down, went to the bathroom, insured I had a snack...sat down and listened to the camera click for about 40 min. Fell asleep till the cold woke me up. My teeth were chattering like a wind up toy. So decided time to interrupt the interval timer and make due with what I had. Turns out what I had was plenty to get the picture I envisioned.

Still playing with stackers. The first one I tried (Star Stax) kept dying in the middle of the conversion but it had the "Gap Fill" feature...bummer.

Did statistical mode in Photoshop and that worked fine except the gaps. Still looking, but got the finished product.

Well enough blabbering...here is the one shot I got (actually 62 shots joined together).

Thanks for taking a peek.

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Just incredible, Roman. This photo rocks!! But you are breaking my neck.
Two thumbs up.
Kee

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:12 PM
kdacharya
• • •
p.1 #3 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

amazing - stacked 62 pics, wow.

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:39 PM
srkbar

p.1 #4 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Very well done

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:48 PM
Lobohowler

p.1 #5 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Very impressive - particularly for first time with star trails.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:03 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Really cool shot.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:51 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Hey Roman,

Pretty nice work here. Good job.

As for stacking software, my preference is for Startrails. I have been using it for a # of years.

As for gloves, for years I have been using the thin rubber coated work gloves that are pretty easily available now. I wear them almost all the time I am shooting even if it isn't cold, besides giving you extra grip, they prevent accidental greasy finger prints on lenses and filters. On longer trips when out backpacking, they prevent the skin on the fingers from wearing away and getting sore and cracked. I keep 3 different pair with me all the time.

Jim

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:54 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #8 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Good job Roman!
Congrats on the first born!
:-)

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:34 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Very nicely done!
A great contrast of the flowers & the stars
AND I might add, a refreshing unique star trails image

Dan

Apr 18, 2014 at 09:22 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #10 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Exceptional work my friend!

Bravo!

Apr 18, 2014 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

khilleg
• • •
p.1 #11 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Pretty cool, Roman! This is one area I'd like to get into, but I feel it would be better to do this with a Mark II or newer 5D vs my 5Dc.

Glad to see you made it to the tulip festival. I finally got there this past Monday after being away for 2 years - I had to check out the pink tractor and got a good sunset for a change

I'll post some pics soon but the Gorge is teeming with flowers right now. Barns and rusty cars in fields of flowers are calling my name

Kevin

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:06 AM
DSC01
• • •
p.1 #12 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Roman, great job here looks fantastic excellent idea for your comp. I think it works better with some gaps. Complete trails look too static to me and since your showing about a quater circle the gaps add to the graphic interest of this image. Regards Dean

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:20 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Nicely done! Never thought Mt. Hood could look small...

Phil

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:56 AM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #14 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Beautiful shots Roman. Very creative.

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:11 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Thank you very much for the kind feedback!

Jim, thanks for the referral to the software. Looks like a stand alone. Will give it a try, working with .jpgs is a bit of a limitation for me. Looking for a plugin for photoshop that might handle native photoshop files and who know...maybe RAW?!? Thanks very much though...will look strongly at this.

Kevin, if you look at the Exif in the shot, I was only at like 600ISO. The moon was fairly bright and your 5D should be MORE than capable. I got a fairly decent "Pink Tractor" sunrise shot as well this last weekend. Hope to see you out there.

Roman

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Tremendous Roman!!!
dan

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:03 PM
fingerda
• •
p.1 #17 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Very impressive. Well done!

DaveF

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:30 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Thanks Dan & Dave!!

Roman

Apr 22, 2014 at 01:49 PM
elitefroggy
• •
p.1 #19 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

I think it even gets better when cropped down about 2/3rds as it highlights Mt Hood and the tulips more. Works well both ways though.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:39 PM
coreybell
• •
p.1 #20 · Startrails, Mt. Hood, Tulips....

Beautiful photo, great story too.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password