New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

jusjee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

I don't know what this is. It seems to be on one of the inner elements and is only really visible when bright light is directly shone onto the lens. I'm hoping it's not fungus. I apologize for the subpar photos, I can try to capture better ones if it's necessary, but without a macro lens I fear this may be the best I can do at the moment. Thanks in advance!

35mm Leica Summicron

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:34 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

The good part is that doesn't look like fungus. It looks like a lubricant track on the lens surface. The bad news is lubricant tracks on the lens surface usually mean a screw or collar has gotten loose inside and is moving around in the lens. Either way the lens needs to be opened up and cleaned out - and if there's something loose it needs to be put back where it belongs.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:33 AM
jusjee
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on what a CLA would cost? I'm new to this. I just traded for this lens about a week ago on this forum and at first wasn't sure what to do, but I've been getting more paranoid about what it is. Regardless, this lens was posted as a 9 condition with clean glass. Would you think that's accurate. Looking at it again, I'm beginning to think not.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

I'd return it if you can. It's not clean glass. Plus if you send it to Leica, they send to Germany and turnaround time is, to say the least, leisurely.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help in identifying flaw in lens

Try the Rangefinder forums, they have some good repair people that should be quicker than Leica.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141193

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.