FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

jamesmorophoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I recently tested out the trials of the latest versions of these game-changing album design programs on a client album design today.

I figured this might be of some use to some of you still designing your own albums by more tedious means.

this is by no means an exhaustive review but rather a summary of my experiences with both programs.

I'm running a 2009 8-core mac pro with 16GB of ram and the OSX on a 128GB SSD, for reference. It can easily handle d800 files at full res. For the test, I was using my down-resd files I delivered to my client at 4500px long side.

Smart Albums

pros:

FAST

designed for mac and it shows.

I was able to select several subfolders I had categorized the images into, and it pulled all the images into a main gallery and imported them in under 5 mins.

images displayed thumbnail style at bottom of window. you can tell a vertical from a horizontal.

quick keyboard controls.

creative layouts with the touch of a button.

easy image swapping.

album style and formats are up to date w/ latest offerings from most manufacturers (except queensberry).

works great for flush mount designs, taking full advantage of the limitless layout possibilities.

fast export for proofing.

quick preview of template layouts.

cons:

keyboard dominant controls. I would've liked to see more touch or mouse controls. you can't drag to the next spread like you'd expect.

random layouts. you have to basically keep flipping through till you get one you like.

you can't modify the templates.

I would've really liked to be able to select part of a template I liked and mirror it to the other page, and to also mirror individual images (flip over Y-axis).

goofy templates don't use enough page space. I often found a layout I liked, but it kept cropping an image to a square when there was clearly enough room to maintain the original aspect ratio.

no option to maintain original aspect ratio.

no option to filter the types of templates it chooses. I would like the option to filter the choices of templates such as: 'maintain original aspect ratio', maximize negative space, minimize negative space, filmstrip templates only etc. There needs to be a way to reduce the randomization of the layouts that show up.

I was initially disappointed and hoped that the fundy build v6 would give me more control.

I didn't attempt to use this to design a template-restricted matted album, and I'm not sure it's capable of doing so. This could be a major deal breaker, as I've got 2 matted albums in the works.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Fundy Album Builder V6

pro's:

the potential ability to modify template sizes and groups.

Con's:

lacks the latest album styles and designs. I was surprised to not see formatting for the Finao Playbook.

right off the bat, you can tell this program isn't optimized for Mac. The trial kept giving me a damaged file error until I search a help forum and found out that you have to enable access by ALL programs, not just apple-approved--not a safety feature I feel comfortable enabling.

LAG: The lag made the software practically unusable. It lagged when I was filling out the registration form.

There's a 1-2 sec lag between clicking a selected image and it actually registering as being highlighted.

Quickly selecting multiple images is out of the question.

Trying to resize windows and the thumbnail gallery display took several seconds and was basically non responsive.

I continually found myself waiting for the software to catch up.

Not designed for Mac OSX. It felt like a cheap pc user experience. It forced me to go into each individual file directly and highlight all the images. quick shortcuts like 'select all' or simply selecting multiple folders does not work w/ fundy v6.

So I selected a single folder. It took over 5 mins to import a SINGLE FOLDER. Smart Albums imported the entire, categorized wedding from all the folders in less than 5 mins.

It reminded me of an older version of lightroom w/ the interface lag and import/export lag.

I couldn't figure out how to resize template frames, and couldn't figure out how to zoom in/out or reposition a single image crop within a template group.

The control buttons were not intuitive at all, and the interface was simply so laggy that I could've even tell if my actions or dragging/resizing attempts were even working.

The thumbnail gallery displays all images in a square format on the left of the screen in a vertical arrangement. this made it extremely difficult to identify vertical vs horizontal images, and I couldn't find a way to change this gallery layout.

I really, really wanted fundy v6 to work, but the lag made it unusable. The design wasn't intuitive at all, and I wasn't about to have to learn the nuances of new software when it was a no-brainer with Smart Albums.

So I went back to smart albums. Despite the lack of customization, I was able to figure out how to manipulate the templates and come up with some really nice layouts. moreover, it helped to keep my layouts fresh, and showed me new layouts that I probably wouldn't have come up with myself. It was a little frustrating letting go of control over template design, but also liberating in the sense that it forced me to consider more creative options that I would've chosen on my own. I tend to be conservative with cropping and end up with film-strip layouts for the most part. The random layouts were refreshing in a sense.

Bottom line:

Fundy Album Build v6 was lag city and was unusable on my mac, using down-rezd D800 files in the 16-20mp range. It's not adapted to work on mac, and it shows, dreadfully.

Smart Albums was fast, intuitive and seems to take advantage of the processing power of my mac. despite the limitations in customization, I was able to create a very nice album, FAST--and it forced me to consider alternatives to the tried and true layouts I tend to stick to.

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

Interesting. On my PC (I haven't tried Smart Albums so I can't comment) Fundy is fast. Importing images takes ~5 mins or so which I wish could be faster. Once images are imported I don't see any lag in my system.

I found a slight learning curve to the program. But now resizing images, changing size, opacity and moving them is now second nature and fast.

You can also change the thumbnail format to have them display non cropped thumbnails. That drove me crazy until I learned how to change that.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

*update*

I'm seeing that you can create a custom album size and export .psd spreads. So you should be able to type in the requisite trim/safe zone sizes, along w/ the spread sizes and image gap sizes. Then export the .psd's, instal the seldex coverter to create the .dat files to submit for printing.

This seems like it's a solution for anyone using a matted album company that allows custom cut mats (i.e. seldex/finao).

Can anyone confirm that you can use Smart Albums to create matted albums w/ custom mats? It seems like on the requisite options exist. Now if only you could export .bat files....

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:20 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I found smart albums to be a more intuitive; it's more focused on auto-building spreads in which, IMO, it does a nicer job than Fundy; I simply like the templates much more. From SA I export to Indesign and do a bit of tweaking or custom spreads if necessary and if not, I export to JPG's and start printing.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:49 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

Fundy Pro: available now on PC

Also, I experience no lag using Fundy on my PC.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

joosay wrote:
Fundy Pro: available now on PC

Also, I experience no lag using Fundy on my PC.

like I said, it looks like it was designed for a PC. It's lag city on my mac. Anyone with a mac experience this?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

jamesmorophoto wrote:
like I said, it looks like it was designed for a PC. It's lag city on my mac. Anyone with a mac experience this?

okay.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

importing def. takes much more time currently in Fundy (fyi, I test drived Fundy on PC, and on Mac along with SA). It's a known issue @ Fundy and something that will no doubt be improved in a future version.

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:24 PM
pattyw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

jamesmorophoto wrote:
Smart Albums

you can't modify the templates.:
That alone would end it for me.

Apr 18, 2014 at 03:09 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

So far we are loving SA, it is still in it's infancy so it will get better with time.

Honestly though a 2009 8 core Mac Pro w/16GB of ram is no longer a screamin machine. I have the same machine but with 24GB of Ram and I'm hoping to be able to replace it at the end of this season.

Apr 18, 2014 at 03:38 PM
bthatton
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

On my 3 year old iMac Fundy runs absolutely fine. I love it. The inability to customize templates in smart albums steered me away from it ultimately.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:00 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I'm using Fundy on a 2 year old MacBook Pro and I don't have any lag issues.

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:42 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I'll have another go at it, but sheer amount of time it takes to import 1/5th of a wedding vs smart albums is extremely hard to overlook...

I could finish an album by the time it imported a single wedding.

mark, it's old but still kicking. I built mine one an ssd and another raid drive. no lag with d800 files. wonder what the lag issue was all about,,

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

Thanks for the write up! No timeline on a PC version yet.

I'm still doing it the old fashioned way, an album takes me around an hour, which is fine with me. But if so,e software can make it slightly quicker, I guess that's a good thing. I'm not keen on plastering loads of images across a spread though, so maybe it's not best suited for me.

Apr 19, 2014 at 04:57 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I've used only Fundy but I learned it pretty quickly and had an album designed in a half hour (with learning the software and designing) so personally I love it!

And yes SA should be better suited to MAC people because that's who they made it for. Us PC people were left out in the cold... so I appreciate the Fundy people stepping in

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:18 AM
silentwings
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

Why nobody mentions there is no "undo" button in Funday album builder which is absolutely nonsense to me?

I have posted the comparison long time ago and you can see the details below. Fundy really had some serious issues that push me away ~~~

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1281144/0#12211361

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

Fundy is working on this and will be included in a future update.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I have a monster of a PC, and Fundy v6 works perfectly, quickly and smoothly. I would like an undo button, but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:06 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fundy Album Builder V6 vs Smart Albums

I use Smart Albums on my Mac and like you said, it's stupid fast! There are mouse controls and you can view the layouts outside of "flipping through them with the arrow keys," you just have to read the instructions.

To me, Smart Albums is a little easier to use than Fundy and it's quick. I like it a lot.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.