New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 24" displays, $500 or under

jimtron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24" displays, $500 or under

I'm looking for a new display, probably 24", for photo editing (and a bit of video editing). I can't afford the best ones that are $1,000 and up, but it looks like there are decent ones for under $500.

Anyone have opinions on these models, or others?

1. Dell U2412M
  2. Dell U2413
  3. ASUS PA248Q
  4. ASUS PB278Q (27")
  5. NEC EA244WMI-BK

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24" displays, $500 or under

I have the Dell U2412M and like it. I haven't calibrated it yet but don't really think I need to but will eventually anyway. No dead pixels that I see can either.

Apr 18, 2014 at 07:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24" displays, $500 or under

well that can be answered in what you want in results

Apr 18, 2014 at 09:20 AM
jimtron
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24" displays, $500 or under

Thanks Shutterbug Guy. Sjms, care to elaborate?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24" displays, $500 or under

shutterbug guy says he thinks his doesn't need calibration. that is far from the truth. your output product, like a print will give you a real good idea how far off you are. if you can't match your printed output within a margin of error to your screen you have issues. you want and need a standard to live and work by to get good repeatable results. you can accept what you get or you can control it instead.

i do use a very HQ monitor to edit my images in house with hardware based calibration. it is ultra consistent in correct color, contrast and brightness. my laptop has a good screen(so called 95% NTSC color gamut) but tends towards the cold side. calibration makes a big difference. it is much better balanced color after cal. not as good as the home screen though. but it is close enough to work with each other.

also many think that a LCD/LED monitor need not be warmed up. not so. most cal systems require at least 30 minutes of on time to "smooth things out" on the screen and will inform you of this.

Apr 19, 2014 at 07:32 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24" displays, $500 or under

sjms wrote:
shutterbug guy says he thinks his doesn't need calibration. that is far from the truth. your output product, like a print will give you a real good idea how far off you are. if you can't match your printed output within a margin of error to your screen you have issues. you want and need a standard to live and work by to get good repeatable results. you can accept what you get or you can control it instead.

i do use a very HQ monitor to edit my images in house with hardware based calibration. it is ultra consistent in
...Show more

With all due respect I was referring to my impressions of the monitor out of the box. There were no color casts, the brightness and contrast seemed pleasing to my eyes, basically the screen looked great. I did go on to say that yes, the screen would be calibrated eventually.

I agree that calibrating your screen is a good thing and highly recomended.

Apr 20, 2014 at 02:25 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24" displays, $500 or under

With all due respect "Eventually"? Months weeks days?

I would hope, these days, that any of these monitors would be reasonably good out of the box.
Its more of how they react to calibration that is of prime importance. Some you can't easily do or maintain. and that pretty good info to know right away. i mean you are looking for reasonable color accuracy right?

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:00 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24" displays, $500 or under

sjms wrote:
With all due respect "Eventually"? Months weeks days?

I bought the monitor in February, realized my software elapsed and won't work on Windows 7. (eye1display2). Ordered a Color Munki. One week later went out on assignment to an extremely remote location. I will return next month and then I'll be able to calibrate. Yep, eventually.

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24" displays, $500 or under

actually the i1Match software 3.6.2 worked fine with W7

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24" displays, $500 or under

sjms wrote:
actually the i1Match software 3.6.2 worked fine with W7

I may have to give it a try when I get back, thanks for the version number. All I know is the last known software to work with it is on a dead laptop. A visit to the x-rite website told me that the eye1display2 wasn't supported and recommended an upgrade.

Quoted from the website,

i1Display 2 (Discontinued)

We recommend i1Display Pro as a replacement for i1Display 2 (Discontinued).

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=788

It was a good excuse to get the Color Munki as I've been wanting to have print profile capabilities also.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24" displays, $500 or under

thats what i had the i1pro for

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:39 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24" displays, $500 or under

shutterbug guy wrote:
I may have to give it a try when I get back, thanks for the version number. All I know is the last known software to work with it is on a dead laptop. A visit to the x-rite website told me that the eye1display2 wasn't supported and recommended an upgrade.

The i1Pro is a far better piece of hardware that's apparently far less prone to changes in accuracy over time. I threw my old Display2 out because after four years of use everything it calibrated had an obvious pink cast.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24" displays, $500 or under

Faced a similar decision a few months back. Went for the NEC over the Dell. By all accounts the anti glare coating on the Dells is rather heavy handed and there are several reviews that claim this limits their suitability for photo editing. If you already have a 24" I would not mix monitor sizes, it is a major PITA unless you run the larger monitor at a lower resolution to match the smaller one.

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:34 PM
bscharf

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24" displays, $500 or under

+1 for not mixing sizes. Very annoying

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:18 PM
jonathandodson

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24" displays, $500 or under

I have the Dell U2412M and a 24" ACD and I'm think of getting another Dell. Its usually personal preference when monitors are involved.

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24" displays, $500 or under

I use a Dell 2412M calibrated with a Spyder4ELITE, has been a solid combo for both photo and the couple videos I do a month. Puts you around $500 from the quick iPhone googling I just did.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24" displays, $500 or under

I use a Dell 2410, Samsung 2333 and Apple 24" Cinema LED for both video and photo output. Like the previous said, its definitely worth calibrating your screen once you get it out of the box. Dell seems to be fave with me and the rest of the group.

*FWIW, i'm selling those three monitors if you are interested in any. Making way for a 27" for the retina.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:43 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24" displays, $500 or under

GroovyGeek wrote:
If you already have a 24" I would not mix monitor sizes, it is a major PITA unless you run the larger monitor at a lower resolution to match the smaller one.

Just out of curiosity, why?

I run my Thunderbolt display (2560x1440) and internal Retina MacBook Pro screen (1920x1200-ish) together all the time... main work area on the TbD and extra stuff on the MBP screen. Works awesome.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.