1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

Sal Baker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:
I honestly expected the 28-70 to frankly suck, maybe be usable at f8 or f11, and picked one up for $250 used just because I'm going on vacation soon, and figured having an AF zoom would be handy for when other family members might want to take a shot.

I'm pretty amazed at how good the 28-70 is, even wide open. Its quite fast to AF, especially on the A7 with PDAF, and what else really surprised me was that its length only changes about 15mm over the whole zoom range. I thought it would extend nearly twice its length like
...Show more

Couldn't help but notice the black halos around the tombstone, particularly the right side. Are these artifacts from over-sharpening or possibly a detail enhancement plug-in?

Sal

Apr 21, 2014 at 07:17 AM
taran
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

When traveling I like being discreet so I chose the GX7, because it has a quiet shutter.

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:59 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

anorphirith wrote:
do you think the oly 21 would have performed as well as you zeiss 21 ?

The Oly 21, either the 3.5 or the f2 version don't perform any where near the Zeiss 21, not even close

However, the Zeiss 21 is simply massive, you could carry a full bag of OM glass for the same weight.

The Oly 21/3.5 is about the same size/weight as a 50 1.8, in fact I can't tell it apart from my OM 50 1.8, so while its indeed darn good, the real reason for it is size

I think my Canon FD 20 is maybe even a touch better, and half the price, but the OM 21 is just so tiny, and shares 49mm filters with some other glass so I carry it

I had the Zeiss 21 (18 as well) and they are both fantastic, best ultra wides I've owned, along with my Nikon 14-24, but all of them are beast to carry.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:33 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

Sal Baker wrote:
Couldn't help but notice the black halos around the tombstone, particularly the right side. Are these artifacts from over-sharpening or possibly a detail enhancement plug-in?

Sal

No idea really, I don't really pixel peep that much or even know what all the terms mean.

I just downsized a few quick test shots from playing around with the lens using BreezeBrowser and whatever sharpening et al., it provides.

Maybe all of the above ? Over sharpened, along with an artifact, all on top of some directional light ?

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:37 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

taran wrote:
When traveling I like being discreet so I chose the GX7, because it has a quiet shutter.

I usually find when traveling I stand out like a sore thumb because I end up being a foot taller than everyone, with a totally different skin tone and different way of dressing. Camera is the last of my worries for blending lol

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:40 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

taran wrote:

I agree, for street shooting. If that is what you are doing then the GX7 is dead quite with it's electronic shutter mode (edit - and titling EVF which is very cool, IMO!). Otherwise, I find the X-E2 shutter to be relatively quite compared to some of my Canon gear.

Edited on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:50 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:
I usually find when traveling I stand out like a sore thumb because I end up being a foot taller than everyone, with a totally different skin tone and different way of dressing. Camera is the last of my worries for blending lol

As an aside, I have read several threads where people have, for travel, recommended one bag over another because it is more discrete. I wonder where these people are traveling? As you mention, discrete is often just not possible. It is better to simply not have cameras swinging around you neck and a fat wallet in your back pocket.

Apr 21, 2014 at 09:56 AM
absolutic
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I am not a professional photographer by any stretch, but here are my ramblings.

I took my A7r and Fuji XA1 to a local Gardens place over the weekend for couple of hours of sanity away from the family and I ended up being very happy with the results from both of the cameras. Both are very small which I love.

Now Yesterday we drove to a local sea resort area with my wife and her friend from Europe who is visiting and my 2-year-old toddler who runs nonstop. The friend asked me for some photos. I took a bag with Canon 6D, 24-105L, 17-40L, 70-200L and 580EX II. The good thing is it all fit in my Tamrac Area bag. On the other hand, I have to tell you it was a torture to carry all these items and to run after my child up and down the slop and try to take photos of my wife's friend. And the resulting photos were not necessarily better than those from Fuji X or Sony A7r. My bag a day before, with both Sony A7r and Fuji XA1, and few lenses was much lighter and easier to carry. Plus changing smaller lenses is a joy, they don't necessarily try to fall out of your hands with the same frequency.

I really felt last night that I would either going to trade away my Canon gear for more of a Sony/Fuji items, or keep Canon strictly at home just for home shooting with strobes. For any sort of traveling, or even going out, I am taking Sony or Fuji. A joy of hiking with just Sony A7r with 35FE cannot be overstated, you don't even know its there.

Between Sony and Fuji is an interesting choice. It would have been an easier Sony only choice for me if they had autofocus lenses out in the length that I wanted and the types of lenses that I wanted. Instead, they offer 5FE lenses only, and 70-200 is not even a contender for me as it weighs the same as Canon 70-200/F4, so for me it is a no go. The compact 85 prime is not there. The 135mm is not there. The UWA is not there. On the other hand with Fuji you got some serious choices, with 56/12 which weighs only 400 grams, excellent 23/1.4 and 35/1.4, you got choices in wide angle with 12/2.8 zeiss, 14/2.8 fuji, and 10-24 fuji. With Sony you have to sit and wait and with their track record who knows how long.

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:37 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:

I hear you. I feel the same way sometimes, although I do think that having a near silent shutter can make a difference, since you can pretend to be shooting something not in the direction of the intended subject, and the shutter doesn't give you away. It just depends on the situation. People often don't mind when they see someone holding a camera, but they might mind if they think you're taking a photo of the them. I also think that it's one of the unintended advantages of the more retro looking cameras of late, because people don't seem to worry as much if they think you're shooting film and their photo isn't going to be all over the web five minutes from now.

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:05 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

douglasf13 wrote:
I hear you. I feel the same way sometimes, although I do think that having a near silent shutter can make a difference, since you can pretend to be shooting something not in the direction of the intended subject, and the shutter doesn't give you away. It just depends on the situation. People often don't mind when they see someone holding a camera, but they might mind if they think you're taking a photo of the them. I also think that it's one of the unintended advantages of the more retro looking cameras of late, because people don't seem
...Show more

One interesting thing I've found when I've been shooting with various Fuji bodies, the Nikon Df, a Leica, or basically anything "retro" is that I find that actually draw MORE attention.

I always have people come up and ask about the camera, what is is, is it such and such model etc

Shooting with something like a Canon Rebel or Nikon D5000, no one gives a second look

Ultimate "stealth" camera was my Sigma Merrill, Talk about a 90's era, utilitarian black brick! lol. Looked like it was the first digital camera I ever bought, if not ever made.

Camera's like the X100s, especially in black, are darn sexy. We love how they look as photographers, and typically even non-photographers gravitate toward the designs.

I think a camera like my Sony A7 is actually pretty darn stealth too (though the R version was a little loud) because it says "Sony" in big white letters and lets face it, Sony is known as a consumer electronics company that makes TV's and BluRay players to most people

Its like.... "hey, check out my Sony camera, that I bought at the local Best Buy, when I picked up a new Blu-ray player". A boring and vanilla mainstream America as you can get really.

My A7r was certainly a tech Tour de Force, as was my RX1, but I never once got anyone ever comment on those cameras. X100..... That thing attracted comments like when I'm out walking my puppy.

I don't know if the "its just film" attitude really even makes sense these days. I don't think there is any popular mindset that its a film camera, so its just some old fuddy duddy with some old camera, or some art school student etc. Its not like "digital" is this cutting edge tech reserved for professionals, digital is as common as it comes, and these days people are far more likely to post images via smartphone than camera.

Now for video stuff, I think the point still works. I mean you film someone with a little handicam, vs you film someone with some big broadcast style camera, they are likely going to respond differently and wonder what its being used for (Though they may be more willing to get shot by the broadcast cam if they think they will be on tv lol)

With cameras though, I think film is such a forgotten dinosaur that its not even in the common collective.

Sure in 1997 you could say " sorry, just had 2 pics left to finish to roll" and diffuse a situation but say that today and I don't think most people would know what your talking about.

Kind of sad and certainly makes me feel old, but I can't even remember last time I walked into a grocery store etc and saw film, photo processing etc. Probably gas was $0.99 a gallon

Apr 21, 2014 at 05:18 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

anorphirith wrote:
do you think the oly 21 would have performed as well as you zeiss 21 ?

Nope, but it would mostly do it's job at f/11 or f/16. OM18 is another option. It was sharp with quite sharp corners on my 1DsII but probably a bit weaker with the 20 extra megapixels on the A7R I guess. Less contrast and pop than the Zeiss 21 but still a beautiful lens and only 300 grams.

Apr 21, 2014 at 06:00 PM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I print to 16*20 inch and am very happy with the Fuji. the lens selection fits me well. At 16* you can start to tell the differences between a full frame and the fuji in my opinion. Still my full frame stays home unless I am just going to do a tripod and or landscape thing. So my full has become my veiw camera and the fuji does everything else. I love wides so the sony is harder to find a personal fit there. Fuji 14 is nice. Both systems are nice and can do great work.

Apr 22, 2014 at 09:25 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:
One interesting thing I've found when I've been shooting with various Fuji bodies, the Nikon Df, a Leica, or basically anything "retro" is that I find that actually draw MORE attention.

I always have people come up and ask about the camera, what is is, is it such and such model etc

Shooting with something like a Canon Rebel or Nikon D5000, no one gives a second look

Ultimate "stealth" camera was my Sigma Merrill, Talk about a 90's era, utilitarian black brick! lol. Looked like it was the first digital camera I ever bought, if not ever made.

Camera's like the X100s, especially
...Show more

That's funny, because the only time I've ever had anyone come up to me and talk to me about my camera was when one person just said "Nice camera" when I was out shooting an M9, and when a few people came up to me at various times when shooting the X100 and said something along the lines of, "Cool, you're shooting a vintage film camera? How old is it?" Even my sister's fiancé wondered why I'd started shooting film when he saw the X100, and he isn't camera guy at all. I guess, to the layman, the X100 is even more vintage-y looking than other recent vintage-y cameras.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

About two years ago I was with the family and shooting the huge Pentax 67. To my surprise, an older lady saw me taking a shot of my family and offered the customary "would you like me to take a photo with you and your family?". She was not intimidated in the least by the Pentax 67! I showed her what to do and she took the shot. That was funny and strange.

When I shot the RX1, a lot of folks just completely ignored it, probably thinking it's a P&S of some sort. That and the Ricoh GR (this definitely gets written off as generic P&S) are probably the stealthiest cameras I have shot. I guess it helps that both are almost silent as well.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:40 PM
JPtheOG

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I'd go for an Olympus EM1, but with the choices you offered, I'd suggest the Fuji.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM
hauxon
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

douglasf13 wrote:
That's funny, because the only time I've ever had anyone come up to me and talk to me about my camera was when one person just said "Nice camera" when I was out shooting an M9, and when a few people came up to me at various times when shooting the X100 and said something along the lines of, "Cool, you're shooting a vintage film camera? How old is it?" Even my sister's fiancé wondered why I'd started shooting film when he saw the X100, and he isn't camera guy at all. I guess, to the layman, the X100 is
...Show more

I think it's the silver versions that people think are fancy (or even a Leica). Had a silver Oly E-P1 and was often asked about it. Not so much with my black Fuji cameras. ...or maybe people asked because the E-P1 was one of the first mirrorless cameras and rather uncommon at the time.

Apr 23, 2014 at 04:40 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.