New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

anorphirith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

Hi, I'm looking for a light travel camera. I've used a x pro 1 for a while and i really like what the xtrans sensor produce. Ive recently tried the sony A7 and was a little disappointed by the images they looked a bit plasticky. Also pulling the highlights and shadows distorted the colors more than the xpro would have.
I haven't tried the A7r yet but one of the incentive to get it is the zeiss 55mm that has amazing reviews.
But i'll also need a 35mm lens on it and sony doesnt offer a viable choice as of yet.
As for the mpx i dont really care, i can print 20x30 on 16mpx. Ill never print bigger than that.
Thanks!

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

Why is the 35mm f2.8 FE Sonnar not a viable 35mm choice ? Its super small and light, weights like 100 some grams, hardly know its even on the camera, and its got great sharpness across the frame, even wide open. Its a fantastic 35mm

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:48 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I have both the xt1 and the a7r. I use fuji glass on the xt1 and canon glass on the a7r. I find that for landscapes that i am deliberately trying to make the best image, the a7r is amazing. For going around day to day capturing moments at a whim the xt1 and the 35/1.4 is a great setup. Both have there place.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:50 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

killersnowman wrote:
I have both the xt1 and the a7r. I use fuji glass on the xt1 and canon glass on the a7r. I find that for landscapes that i am deliberately trying to make the best image, the a7r is amazing. For going around day to day capturing moments at a whim the xt1 and the 35/1.4 is a great setup. Both have there place.

Same here. For landscape and critical tripod use, the A7R is my first choice. I have the 35 and 55FE lenses which are amazing but so are Zeiss ZEs (I have the 15, 21, 35/2 and 100MP). However, when I'm roaming the city, the Fuji X-T1 is the camera that constantly ends up in my hands. I'm using only native lenses and have the 14, 23, 35, 56, kit zoom and 55-200. All are excellent . . . even the kit. In fact, I'm starting to believe that the Fuji can satisfy all my needs . . .

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:45 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

rji2goleez wrote:
In fact, I'm starting to believe that the Fuji can satisfy all my needs . . .

You certainly produce amazing work with either system, which goes to show, its really more the photographer than the camera, or that pretty much every camera system on the market is capable of producing great results in the right hands.

I personally went from the A7r to the XT1 to the XPro to the A7 and all produce great images, just depends on what gives you the files you like and works with your way of shooting. For me, it kind of came down to if I wanted to spend $1000 for the 56/1.2 or get the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 in e-mount for $300 for portraits and it was a pretty easy choice to make as the Rokinon/Samyang 85/1.4 is simply amazing on a FF body.

I had the Zeiss 85/2 Planar and though that was good, but wide open and even at f2.0, the Rokinon just gives such a nice smooth OOF rendering. Lens was worth switching camera bodies for.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:03 PM
anorphirith
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

After long deliberations i decided on the a7r... I really want to be able to use the voigtlander lenses at full frame potential

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:18 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

anorphirith wrote:
After long deliberations i decided on the a7r... I really want to be able to use the voigtlander lenses at full frame potential

If your talking about the M mount VC's, be aware that there are some issues with color shifts and/or smearing with anything wider than about 35mm.

Some don't mind it, other find it a deal breaker. Also for some like the VC15, the A7 actually does a bit better

21/1.8 seems to be about the only exception to this, although it has heavy curvature of field, and is a bit big/heavy

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:27 PM
absolutic
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I have A7r and thinking about XT1.....that 56 1.2 is calling my name....

The good thing about Sony A7r is that I can and do use my Canon EOS lenses on it, and it is kind of a good thing. On the other hand, I've gotten many more compliments on my Fuji photographs (I've owned XE1/XE2/X100/X100s, and currently own X100 and XA1) than on Sony A7r. In fact several people flat out told me that my Fuji X photos look much better than my Sony A7r ones. Which is unusual because typically either people are just good at taking photos on any of the cameras, or they suck with any of them.

Fuji XE1 with Nikon 85 1.4D:

http://brodsky.smugmug.com/Portraits/Portraits-1/Portraits-at-Huntingtons-Nov-2/i-mg76q8C/0/X2/DSCF9019-X2.jpg

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:10 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

ddd

Edited on May 01, 2014 at 07:13 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:20 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

redisburning wrote:
you sure that's not just Fuji people with their confirmation bias goggles on?

the Fuji produces fine APS-c files. The Sony fine full frame photos. But in the end, there is no replacement for displacement.

Who said anything about "Fuji people"? How did we go from people, of which there are all kinds, to Fuji people. Talk about bias.

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:50 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

ddd

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I think you reply is more defensive. I am simply questioning the logic of going from "people" to assuming it's "Fuji people" - which makes no sense. So yes, I did catch you...and your response belies your intent.

By the way, if anything, I need to justify my Canon purchases as they FAR exceed anything spent on Fuji.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

ddd

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

ddd

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

Let's recap:

- You never print larger than 20x30mp, and your current 16mp sensor satisfies you for this.
- You're like the XT files.
- You want something light and functional, including an at least moderately fast (but sharp/nice) 50mm, and the same out of a 35mm
- You're not a fan of the A7 files.
- You don't really care about resolution.

I think that points very, very clearly towards the Fuji instead of the A7r. You already love the sensor and find it does what you want. You like the files, and the resolution. You have immediate access to two category-topping lenses at the right focal lengths in the 23mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.2. You also have access to a broad range of Fuji lenses cover all sorts of focal lengths natively today, with the option to use 3rd party native mounts and adapted mount MF options.

To me, this is clear. For the OP, look at an X-E2 or X-T1 if you want to buy now, and you plan to hold the camera for a while. Go back to an X-E1 if you want something to hold you over while you wait for the next gen XT in either APS-C or FF flavors.

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:21 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

My answer would be the opposite if you had said:

- Not a fan of XT.
- Need more than 16mp.
- Satisfied with an f/2.8 35mm lens.
- Shooting landscapes from tripod exclusively, or landscapes by hand predominately.

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:
If your talking about the M mount VC's, be aware that there are some issues with color shifts and/or smearing with anything wider than about 35mm.

Some don't mind it, other find it a deal breaker. Also for some like the VC15, the A7 actually does a bit better

21/1.8 seems to be about the only exception to this, although it has heavy curvature of field, and is a bit big/heavy

The M mount VC 35 f/1.2, although a fairly heavy lens, does work well by almost all accounts as well.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

millsart wrote:
You certainly produce amazing work with either system, which goes to show, its really more the photographer than the camera, or that pretty much every camera system on the market is capable of producing great results in the right hands.

I personally went from the A7r to the XT1 to the XPro to the A7 and all produce great images, just depends on what gives you the files you like and works with your way of shooting. For me, it kind of came down to if I wanted to spend $1000 for the 56/1.2 or get the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 in
...Show more

The Zeiss 85 f/2 Planar, I don't know that lens. Can you describe it a bit more?

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:15 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

I think fuji will be a much more viable system for me on the next generation of sensor. If I'm spending a lot of time and money traveling, I want to make sure the files I get are predictable and what I'm used to.

Edited on Apr 19, 2014 at 08:19 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:19 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji XT1 or Sony A7R ? travel photography

justruss wrote:
Let's recap:

- You never print larger than 20x30mp, and your current 16mp sensor satisfies you for this.
- You're like the XT files.
- You want something light and functional, including an at least moderately fast (but sharp/nice) 50mm, and the same out of a 35mm
- You're not a fan of the A7 files.
- You don't really care about resolution.

I think that points very, very clearly towards the Fuji instead of the A7r. You already love the sensor and find it does what you want. You like the files, and the resolution. You have immediate access to two category-topping lenses at
...Show more

There is one thing left, however, that hasn't been mentioned. Perhaps the OP prefers really shallow depth of field, even shallower than the Fuji lenses can provide. If so, something like the Voigtlander 35 f/1.2 can't really be matched by the Fuji system. I agree all that is being said is pointing to the Fuji, but there is that remaining issue. Also personally, if I was printing often at 20 X 30 I would prefer the higher resolution of one of the Sony cameras. At 13 X 19 I find 16 mp is plenty, but I prefer the higher resolution if I go bigger.

Apr 19, 2014 at 08:19 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.