FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review
Andy Westlake at dpreview.com just posted a Lab Test Review for the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art.

Here is an excerpt:

"From the lab test results, the Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art goes a long way to living up the high expectations that have been placed on it. Indeed it's one of the best-performing lenses of its type, bettered only by the much-more expensive Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 - and even then, not by all that much."

Read full review | Pre-order it from B&H Photo for $949

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

@ the 'buy on Gearshop' link in the top right of that article - price states "499.99", you click, and it's for the old 50mm 1.4 Not sure if on purpose, but that's sneaky as hell if so haha

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Very happy I held off from buying the 50L from the rumors months ago. Now to wait for it to ship!

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Sigma's new strategy of pointing out weaknesses in the Canon/Nikon line up and filling them with these lenses is ART. The fact that this lens is compared to the Otus in every review I've read so far says a lot about how far Sigma has come.

Can't wait for other lenses to be introduced

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

hijazist wrote:
The fact that this lens is compared to the Otus in every review I've read so far says a lot about how far Sigma has come.

Or how far Canon have fallen / stayed behind.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Its pretty evident that this is the new standard in 50mm AF lenses, and when you look at the image comparisons its really not that close. Its an amazing performance by this lens to be even close to the Otus.
Paul

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

stanj wrote:
Or how far Canon have fallen / stayed behind.

Its not just Canon -- its better than anything Nikon has too!

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

It would be nice if this prompts the OEMs to produce better lenses. Though it would also be nice if they weren't all $1000 plus.

Still, to beat the pants off of the Canon 1.2 L and the new Nikon 58mm for $950 is pretty sweet.

I believe "the emperor has no clothes" applies here.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:16 PM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Looking at the images, this lens renders like the Otus too. Very nice bokeh. Not dreamy like portraits from the 50L but subtle transitions from sharp to out of focus.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:21 PM
danielutzu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

I am Nikon. I gave up my old sigma 50 1.4 because of focus inaccuracies. I loved how the Sigma rendered the images, not just bokeh but also colors. However, the fact that focusing was erratic at 1.4 meant I could use few of my images. Part of the reason was the really short rotational distance the AF motor had to travel from min focus to infinity (about 90 degrees, if I remember correctly) which exacerbated focusing errors. This was about two years ago, at a time when Nikon itself had no decent 50mm - they had the G lens that focused well, but was generally soft and subpar compared to their other stellar G lenses (35G, 85G, 200G). They now have come up with the 58 I'm happy with, both for focus accuracy (after a trip to Nikon for calibration) and for the rendering / 3D feel of the images. There's no doubt that the image quality of the Sigma lens is amazing, and it's a sharp, sharp lens; I really hope it can also focus reliably on a decent camera when shot f/1.4-f/2 (say on a D4, in low light, and compared side by side with the nikon 58/1.4G). Now that would be a killer lens.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:44 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Stellar lens for the price, however it's interesting to me what design tradeoffs went into place with lenses like these. The 50L has traded sharpness for bokeh and the Sigma 50A has traded bokeh for sharpness. Looking at comparison tests, the 50L bokeh is clearly superior to that of the 50A. That said, the Sigma leads in just about every other category of image quality.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:40 PM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Lenstip has just posted their take, and their opinion is no less positive. Looks like most of the competition has had their arses well and truly kicked.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:46 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

I believe "the emperor has no clothes" applies here.

Who is the "Emperor" here - I don't understand you? Are you referring to the Nikon f1.4 or what?

So Sigma have made a great performing 50mm - at twice the size of any other 50 on the market excepting the OTUS. I think most manufacturers of standard lenses have not felt it acceptable to present a standard lens that is the same size as a decent 85/1.4, which is why they have not done it nor did they probably even consider it. Sigma are trying this approach and time will tell whether the idea of huge lenses is attractive to buyers. I'm not sure it will work in this case in the long run. The 35ART was big enough, but this one is even larger. Guess how big their revamp of the 85/1.4 will be?

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:20 PM
juicer
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Robin Smith wrote:
Who is the "Emperor" here - I don't understand you? Are you referring to the Nikon f1.4 or what?

So Sigma have made a great performing 50mm - at twice the size of any other 50 on the market excepting the OTUS. I think most manufacturers of standard lenses have not felt it acceptable to present a standard lens that is the same size as a decent 85/1.4, which is why they have not done it nor did they probably even consider it. Sigma are trying this approach and time will tell whether the idea of huge lenses is
...Show more

The thing about size is, if that is a high priority for someone, they are better off looking at the amazing mirrorless options now available. None of which are made by Canon or Nikon either.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:28 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Lens looks good, but honestly I wish Canon would just tip their hand on a new 50mm 1.4 IS (or whatever they have planned). I'm really impressed with the AF consistency and speed on Canon's new lenses and bodies.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:33 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

I really can't believe the ability for people to continually bash a lens based on weight. . . I handhold / carry a 500 F4 IS L on my 1D or 6D gripped without any thoughts or issues. I also have a 300 F4 IS L that is much much lighter and easier to carry, but I carry the weight because when the moment counts I need the accuracy and clarity and reach of the 500 F4, not a fair comparison? Ok, consider it against even a 400 F5.6 which is small and lightweight, add on a 1.4x TC to give it fair reach putting it at 560mm, and still AF with a 1D body. Great, ok so why carry the heavier object? Because it does the job right. Again, if you don't want to shoot wide open, and you are concerned with weight, do the canon 1.4, but don't look at the Sigma and call it heavy, have you seen how many elements it has? Smh

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Not necessarily, there's no reason why a regular FF DSLR has to be huge - look at the 6D and then there are perfectly great normal sized lenses such as the 24-70 f4 or 2.8 II or the 24/28/35 ISs. The smaller formats will of course be smaller, but there seems no need for the all or nothing approach - "if you want small you must have mirrorless". I am glad that Canon is making an effort to reduce weight not increase it: look at all the newer super teles, 24-70mm ver II etc - all of which have better performance than their older versions.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:38 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Robin Smith wrote:

So Sigma have made a great performing 50mm - at twice the size of any other 50 on the market excepting the OTUS. I think most manufacturers of standard lenses have not felt it acceptable to present a standard lens that is the same size as a decent 85/1.4, which is why they have not done it nor did they probably even consider it. Sigma are trying this approach and time will tell whether the idea of huge lenses is
...Show more

If it delivers the goods, I'll lug it. We aren't talking 600mm bazooka weights here.

Like another poster said, if you want light weight, go mirrorless, which I did. Great for carry around anywhere system. If you want top quality...you must pay the piper.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:39 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

UCSB wrote:
Lens looks good, but honestly I wish Canon would just tip their hand on a new 50mm 1.4 IS (or whatever they have planned). I'm really impressed with the AF consistency and speed on Canon's new lenses and bodies.

Agreed. The problem is the "new" lenses are far and few between.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:41 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dpreview: Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Lab Test Review

Not bad it does better center to edge on 5D3 while at f/1.4 than the Canon 50mm 1.4 does at f/2.8 (and the Canon wasn't half bad at f/2.8)!

And wow at f/2 it outdoes the Canon 50 1.4 at f/5.6! And the Canon is AWESOME at f/5.6, better than L zooms pretty much and this one is already better at f/2?!

I do wonder if they had the rare bum Canon 50 1.4 though as most other test sites had the old Sigma worse than the Canon stopped down a little and they have even the old sigma better than stopped down Canon. Although it seems like the new sigma would at least match the old Canon stopped down even accounting for that.

Otus blows it away f/1.4 to probably f/1.8, but beyond that the differences probably become relatively small, especially beyond f/2.5.

If you pretend the Otus doesn't exist it's a mind blowing lens. (The Otus though, man does that show how beyond ridiculous that lens is.)

But AF and $3050 is probably worth more to many than the Otus f/1.4-f/2 performance. Otus is simply out of reach of many even if they'd prefer it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.