Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
After looking at your photos, I was confused an didn't get it. Then I looked at the inspiration shots and started to understand a bit more of what you were going for.

However, what makes the inspiration shots so successful is the manipulation of sizes and shapes of the people's features rather than the post processing. To me, the inspiration shots are very clean, but it's simply all about altering perspective based on size manipulation.

I think you focused too hard on post-processing techniques in your images (in particular the skin softening and cheesy lens flare), but didn't go far enough
...Show more

Hmmm very precious input here Tony Hoffer, must say it was my real inner battle, although i did enlarge head, mouth and eye size (and sometime ear) i was constantly second guessing myself: Was i going too far in changing the faces' physionomie since kids already have disproportionate head to body proportions ? You're really giving me a valuable point of view here. Especially since i had already observed that Girotto's work was more emphasized on proportion than skin retouching indeed. Although he does something magical with the skin that really make peach fuzz obvious. But he never revealed his "secrets" stating it would kill the magic if he did. Of course i interpreted this as a potential reduction of business going his way if he made "making of" videos. Quite understandable i'm not judging here if i had such a secret i would probably keep it to myself as well.

This being said i might have one or two shots i could still experiment with from this series. If i find another suitable one i will work more on the proportions and perspective than the skin retouching.

Thank you Tony for a most valuable criticism. I really appreciate it :-)

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:22 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
After looking at your photos, I was confused an didn't get it. Then I looked at the inspiration shots and started to understand a bit more of what you were going for.

However, what makes the inspiration shots so successful is the manipulation of sizes and shapes of the people's features rather than the post processing. To me, the inspiration shots are very clean, but it's simply all about altering perspective based on size manipulation.

I think you focused too hard on post-processing techniques in your images (in particular the skin softening and cheesy lens flare), but didn't go far enough
...Show more

^^^ This. ^^^^

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

So I did nearly the opposite as you Ray. I focused on the features and didn't pay enough attention to the overall effect.

Julian is one of my grandsons and he was thrilled with his cartoon but my daughter thought it was 'creepy'.

If you're interested here is a link..

Julian as a cartoon

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

Greg, don't forget to remove the "s" from the http tag in flickr.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5306/13924316784_62aa704044_c.jpg

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

Thanks Ron.

Greg

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Cartoon effect, pursuing a vision.

Wow excellent job Greg, really a great cartoon effect here and it only show how much i've deviated from the genre in my studies of the it. Love the facial attributes in general but especially the eyes and freckles :-)

I'm impressed :-)

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.