p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Just an early morning from trip to Florida

Early Morning Riser

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:50 AM
wswartzwel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Gorgeous capture. Just a tiny bit bright for my taste. I would love to be able to see more texture in the foreground wave, and foam. Still a great capture, with a nice colorful reflection off the water. Thanks for sharing this one!

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Beautiful light Robin. As a suggestion I would play with other aspect ratios. Perhaps 4:3 would work the best for this image.
Best,
Fred

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:06 PM
deadhumpy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Leveling the horizon would help as well. Nice light...

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:19 PM
davidmarsh
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Wonderfull

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:18 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunrise in Vero beach

I think you have a lot of potential with this shot, but there are several things I would suggest. First, make sure you have a level horizon when shooting along the ocean. Your horizon is leaning heavily to the right, and this is something that can be easily fixed in post processing. When shooting, consider getting a bubble level for your hotshoe, or if your camera has that feature built in, use it.

Secondly, the sky portion should be brighter than the foreground, but with this photo as presented, the waves in the foreground are significantly brighter than the sky. This means that perhaps you used too strong of a grad ND filter, or if you blended exposures, you used too bright for the foreground, and too dark for the sky.

Finally, the color feels very magenta for the top of the exposure, but very neutral for the bottom. The bottom feels natural, but the sky feels like it has been greatly manipulated with post processing. For a scene like this, I would expect to see some wonderful warm light (yellows and oranges) near the sun area, then a wonderful blue near the top of the frame. Instead, I see a lot of magenta that would only really show up well before sunrise or after a sunset.

If this was mine, I would go back to the drawing board and see what can be done. I do believe you have a lot of potential here, and would love to see a repost.

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Hi Lori,

You have the potential for a great shot here. I will echo Bens fine suggestions here. Make those changes and this shot will be award winning!

Jim

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:24 PM
mattpugs

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Beautiful colors, I would suggests to level out the horizon either while shooting or in post though.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Xellon

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Mother nature is full of colors

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:21 PM
Xellon

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Its a gem

Apr 18, 2014 at 01:21 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunrise in Vero beach

Ben Horne wrote:
I think you have a lot of potential with this shot, but there are several things I would suggest. First, make sure you have a level horizon when shooting along the ocean. Your horizon is leaning heavily to the right, and this is something that can be easily fixed in post processing. When shooting, consider getting a bubble level for your hotshoe, or if your camera has that feature built in, use it.

Secondly, the sky portion should be brighter than the foreground, but with this photo as presented, the waves in the foreground are significantly brighter than the sky.
...Show more
+1
Could not put it any better...

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:15 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunrise in Vero beach

yes, leveling the horizon but still a good shot - Vero Beach is great!

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:15 AM
gent1781

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sunrise in Vero beach

that is really nice. I need to try and get myself up early to catch the beauty of the sunrise

Apr 20, 2014 at 08:32 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.