Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

lgatlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

This photo was taken in March. It's only the second opportunity I've had to photograph stars. Living near a big city, I never knew the beauty of the universe other than through other's experience. The Milky Way is simply amazing in person to see.
Thank you for looking. I welcome your comments and suggestions for improvement.
PS...Light painted the tufa.
Lonnie

Appreciate feedback on reprocessed version.
Fixed shadow per Jim Fox.
Thank you.

Reprocessed

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF14mm f/2.8L II USM lens    14mm    f/2.8    20s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Original Post

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 03:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Very pretty capture of the night sky. The light painting feels a little over done to me (like the light was really bright), and doesn't give a natural effect.

I like all the color you captured in the sky, and that bright star in that little space between the rocks is creative. Very nice shot.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:03 PM
Lobohowler

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Agreed - really nice job with the sky, although are the red streaks in the upper right corner due to flare from light painting? Is the bright "star" actually the moon? I think getting the balance between the foreground exposure and night sky is a very tricky thing, but with more experience you will undoubtedly get better at it. Thanks for sharing.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:13 PM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

That's a nice shot Lonnie
Light painting is a tough thing for me and and think this is pretty good. You could isolate the foreground and maybe do some highlight reduction and see what you think.
The sky rocks, wow in a single 20 sec image. You could try isolating the sky, then invert an image mask (adjust mask with levels) to reduce noise levels of the background sky further without affecting the milky way. Maybe reduce the magenta color a little.
yeah, the flare in upper right. Maybe you can clone it a little to reduce the strength of it.
These are all tiny little thoughts. I think it is a great shot.

David

Edited on Apr 17, 2014 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:34 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Lobohowler wrote:
Agreed - really nice job with the sky, although are the red streaks in the upper right corner due to flare from light painting? Is the bright "star" actually the moon? I think getting the balance between the foreground exposure and night sky is a very tricky thing, but with more experience you will undoubtedly get better at it. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your feedback. This photo was taken about an hour before dawn. That said, I believe the clouds in the upper right corner are being illuminated by refracted light, not from the very small flashlight used to paint the tufa.
Lonnie

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:39 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Lobohowler wrote:

The bright "star" is actually Venus rising. I will work on the tufa exposure to reduce the brightness.
Thank you for your comments/advice.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:41 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

dgdg wrote:
That's a nice shot Lonnie
Light painting is a tough thing for me and and think this is good. You could isolate the foreground and maybe do some highlight reduction and see what you think.
The sky rocks, wow in a single 20 sec image. You could try isolating the sky, then invert an image mask (adjust mask with levels) to reduce noise levels of the background sky further without affecting the milky way. Maybe reduce the magenta color a little.
yeah, the flare in upper right. Maybe you can clone it a little to reduce the strength of it.
These are all
...Show more

Thank you David. I'm going to try your suggestions. Those are clouds in the upper-right corner, not lens flare.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:44 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

The light painting does look a little overdone to me, which makes the tufas look slightly fake. However, I still like the image. You captured and processed the MW beautifully.

-Nick

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:15 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Hey Lonnie,

Overall, a very nice job with this, and really good for only being your 2nd time trying to shoot stars. I would suggest like the others to just tone down the light on the tufa's some more. I look forward to seeing the edit of this.

Jim

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Jcarlson

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Very cool. Great job!

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

It's a very nice capture Lonnie.
My only suggestion would be to lower the intensity of the foreground light and remove the red lines from the top right of the frame.
Fred

Apr 17, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Lobohowler

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Question for those experienced with light painting: Apart from the intensity of the foreground light, the fact that the lighting came from the side and cast strong shadows kinda gives the impression that there is a car with headlights off somewhere to the right. This could be mitigated by lighting from the other side of the frame as well, but then a lot of the interesting foreground texture and contrast might be lost. What technique do you suggest in terms of painting light from different directions in a case like this?

Edited on Apr 18, 2014 at 02:13 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:57 PM
lgatlin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:01 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Hey Lonnie,

The work on the edit is much nicer. My only nits still would be to lose the shadow and stronger light source in the lower right corner so that it doesn't look like someone's car headlights had lot up the scene.

Jim

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:33 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Lobohowler wrote:
Question for those experienced with light painting: Apart from the intensity of the foreground light, the fact that the lighting came from the side and cast strong shadows kinda gives the impression that there is a car with headlights off somewhere to the right. This could be mitigated by lighting from the other side of the frame as well, but then a lot of the interesting foreground texture and contrast might be lost. What technique do you suggest in terms of painting light from different directions in a case like this?

For myself, you want the light coming from only one side. If you did light from both sides like you are considering you would end up with no shadows and hence a very flat looking scene with no depth to it.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Apr 18, 2014 at 03:36 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

The reprocessed version looks much better. well shot

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:04 AM
Littlefield
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Nice job on redo.
Don

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:10 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Hey Lonnie,

Those last edits really make it sing! Good job with the edits.

Jim

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:52 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

nice job with the edit. light painting looks good. now you are a pro light painter. I'm jealous.

You have to decide how dark and what color you want your background sky. I think this one works well, if it is how you want it. Early on, pick your black point to taste so that your sky values are not black clipped. Then use your color balance to adjust background sky colors. Your can always use a luminance mask of your image later to enhance your milky way separately. Image masking is how you would adjust sky noise as well.

Nice job!

David

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Lobohowler

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Milky Way Over Mono Tufa (Reprocessed)

Great job.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password