Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

I'm asking this here because I know there are several of you that have additional "personal" cams, and I want something that provides quality results.

At this point, I have no camera at all. So, I've been wanting to find a small system for documenting my journey through this offramp in my life.

So, far, I've really just been looking at the Fuji X-T1.

Any other highly suggested systems?

Thanks!

Alan

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:40 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

The X100/S is a pretty sweet little camera... It's no wedding camera, but it's a great little camera for personal stuff that isn't a bother to carry and you don't have the added GAS-pressure of more possible lenses.

I only sold mine because I decided to try and stick to film for personal stuff.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:30 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

the x-t1 (which I have) and oly e-m1 could be the ticket.

I myself absolutely love the x-t1. It has some minor quirks but on the whole, it's a great camera and the lenses are absolutely stunning ( I have the 14, 23 and 56). It's more than adequate for documenting-style.

I've read your post about your illness btw, very sorry to hear that and I wish you all the best.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:53 AM
JanetG
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

I have absolutely enjoyed my omd em1- and em5. they make it easy enough for anyone in my family to use - which is great! just touch the back screen and viola - picture taken. and this is going to irk some folks - it stays in P mode..

it makes taking photos fun and not work.

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:55 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

amonline wrote:
I have no camera at all.

I'll throw this out there ...

Last I heard, you still have your lenses. What about Canon's smallest DSLR, the SL1? Takes all your lenses!

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:16 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

wow, that is small!

Apr 17, 2014 at 06:00 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Love my x100s

Apr 17, 2014 at 06:43 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

The sony rx1 has been fantastic for me thus far. It yields the best image quality of any camera I've used. It is a fixed lens, full frame camera with a zeiss 35mm f/2 lens.

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:52 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

I had the X100s and sold it, only because it was just somewhat limiting. I found myself wanting to shoot with something a bit tighter than 23mm all of the time. That just kinda got old. I will get another mirrorless. Probably the Xpro1 or an XT1.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:21 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

canerino wrote:
The sony rx1 has been fantastic for me thus far. It yields the best image quality of any camera I've used. It is a fixed lens, full frame camera with a zeiss 35mm f/2 lens.

I like to follow your Growing Up Anerino blog, that RX1 seems to be super legit.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:22 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Digg, thanks for the idea, but I'm actually thinking about giving it to my son after this is all over with. So, I wanted him to end up with his own setup that's small, mobile, all-in-one and still will provide great quality.

Chuck, out of curiosity, what other cameras in that ballpark have you shot against the Sony? I really wanted to keep the price in the 1500-2000 range. Other expenses are breaking me right now. This is why I was looking at the T1 in a kit setup. I know the Sony has better specs.

evertdoorn, thanks for the kind words. The Olympus is another one I've been considering. So far, I've just liked the images I've seen coming from the T1 a little more, but you know how that goes. lol

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:47 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

If you like 35mm (I do) I would just go with an X100 or X100S, sounds like it's a good fit. More pleasant to use compared to the RX1 too.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:17 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

GH4 is coming out in the next week or so. Its been told to have the best m43 sensor ever made.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028453-REG/panasonic_dmc_gh4kbody_lumix_dmc_gh4_mirrorless_micro.html

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Alan ... played with the fuji pro1 and the X100s. my dad's.
He has all the primes except the 56mm.
The X-T1 looks really good.
matched with 2 primes ... good to go.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:50 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Besides terrible battery life and lack of built in viewfinder, the RX1 is quite nice.

The x100/x100s or any other fuji is a bit more fun to use though (button configuration). I am going to sell my x100 though if that give any indication of how I feel.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:57 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

SloPhoto wrote:
Besides terrible battery life and lack of built in viewfinder, the RX1 is quite nice..

In actual use I've found battery to be absolutely fine, no trouble at all. Lasts for ages. But I don't spray our loads of photos.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Alan, I've used the x100 and Olympus OMD. Both are very nice cameras. But I prefer the rx1.

I would agree with Joe that batter life kinda sucks on the rx1. Just buy a few of them and keep them in your pocket.

FYI. You can pick up a used rx1 in the price range you are looking in the BS forum.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

I would also consider the a7. Sony is really on point these days. Their camera/lens offerings are pretty great. They have a stellar zeiss 35 f/2.8 and 55 f/1.8. They are most likely coming out with a zeiss 85 f/1.8 next.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

evertdoorn wrote:
wow, that is small!

Isn't it, though!

With how much everyone is looking for small gear these days, I'm surprised the SL1 doesn't get any mention here.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:43 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Mirrorless Setup for Documentation?

Ran across this in the Canon Forum, in a thread about using lighter gear:

"The image quality of the G1X, EOS M, SL1 and the better EF-s lenses can yield wonderful results. I'm particularly pleased with the SL1 + 55-250 STM"

Apr 18, 2014 at 06:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.