New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Just before the Communist Government's collapse, a few entrepeneurs along Arbat Street.
Eight young men selling trinkets stacked on card tables.
Some of them looking with envy at the young man who can afford to have a small dog on a leash.
That's how the first of their free market economy got started- some 25 years ago.

Charlie Shugart 2014

Arbat Street in Moscow, USSR

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM
saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Living in India, an ally of the USSR back then, I, along with millions of others, were convinced the USSR was the land of milk and honey (their women are HOT - gotta give them that). USSR spent a lot of money on propaganda and we grew up reading huge magazines full of beautiful photos from Russia - beautiful buildings, landscapes, happy people.

One of my friends moved to Russia to get his medical degree. He came back after 2 years and convinced us it was awesome. We believed him. He was there when the union collapsed. He came back soon after and told us it was hell there and he was trying to save face. He was rich, so he could afford things many Russians couldn't. He said there were long lines outside grocery stores for bread, milk, etc.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

At least they have something to sell. I like how the light separates all the subjects.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Looking good Charlie. Takes me right back as if I was there.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:52 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

These photos remind me of how poor the image quality of film was. They are nice photos, but no one would accept a camera with such poor IQ today.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

saaketham wrote:
Living in India, an ally of the USSR back then, I, along with millions of others, were convinced the USSR was the land of milk and honey (their women are HOT - gotta give them that). USSR spent a lot of money on propaganda and we grew up reading huge magazines full of beautiful photos from Russia - beautiful buildings, landscapes, happy people.

One of my friends moved to Russia to get his medical degree. He came back after 2 years and convinced us it was awesome. We believed him. He was there when the union collapsed. He came back
...Show more

Thanks for the input. It reminds me of an important thought: Never ask a born-rich man what it's like to be poor.
Things worked more smoothly during the Communist Government's heyday, true. When the general population is in constant fear of their lives, they tend not to complain.
And the first tastes of freedom and building a never before-seen Russian free economy and representative government are wildly exhilarating. And incredibly difficult to actually accomplish.
Will a free Russia succeed? I don't know- but I wish the people the best.
Charlie

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:58 PM
robfactory

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

As a photographer, communist countries are amazing places to shoot. The architecture and faces of the people are always amazing.

Apr 25, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

elliotkramer wrote:
These photos remind me of how poor the image quality of film was. They are nice photos, but no one would accept a camera with such poor IQ today.

Because we were posting at the same time, Elliot, I missed your comment until now.
How nice of you to feel so free to insult the work of people who were shooting before the invention of digital cameras. What a swell guy .
Charlie
PS. I tried to find some examples of your work- and found no uploads.
Does that mean in nine years on FM you've made 1371 comments on other peoples' posts, but have NOT posted any of your own work?
If that is correct, I must say

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:24 PM
theJcrowe

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

I spent a few years in Mongolia, a big ally of the USSR, and I've got to say, it was by no means all bad. Literacy rates went up 95% in 90 years, everyone was fed and had a place to sleep. Great shot too, Charlie!

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:27 PM
pinto85

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

great pic, bring back memories. Thank you.

Apr 29, 2014 at 05:17 AM
vesper

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Love the chess sets in the foreground of the table.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:44 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Moscow----Back in the Days of the USSR

Good composition. Interesting street scene.

Oct 02, 2014 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.