Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

branhamj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

Hey everyone, I am a pretty fresh noob to photography and I have always like to take landscape shots (which have never looked good with the old point and shoot).

I bought into the Sony NEX line and I am looking for a lens that would lend itself to landscape shots. What would you recommend? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but I don't want a piece of junk that I will just have to replace later on.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

First, please try to limit yourself to a few postings every hour. This is a slower forum than most places you might be used to.

Have you purchased a full frame E-Mount camera or APS-C?

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:50 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

And who the hell are you to tell people how often they post? Don't like it, don't read it.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

The guy bumped six threads that were over a year old.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

time2clmb wrote:
And who the hell are you to tell people how often they post? Don't like it, don't read it.

I'm dying from the irony. Anyways, I think he just meant that the OP has brought a lot of threads back from the dead in short succession.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

branhamj wrote:
Hey everyone, I am a pretty fresh noob to photography and I have always like to take landscape shots (which have never looked good with the old point and shoot).

I bought into the Sony NEX line and I am looking for a lens that would lend itself to landscape shots. What would you recommend? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but I don't want a piece of junk that I will just have to replace later on.

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend?
What do you already own?
Which NEX?
Do you care for autofocus?
Do you know how to fully get the most out of the camera (tripod, shutter release, ISO100, post-processing, etc)?

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:15 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

Lots of different lenses can be great for landscapes, but it is tough to tell you what will be good for you. The Zeiss Touit lenses are good, both 12mm and 32mm, as is the Sony Zeiss 24mm and the Sony 10-18mm zoom. The FE 55/1.8 will probably produce images with higher resolution, but taking landscapes with a moderate telephoto is quite a bit different from using a wide lens.

My recommendation is to start with the 18-55mm kit zoom (or the 16-50 if that's what you already have). The image quality will probably be better than what you've had in the past, it might not cost you anything beyond what you've already paid, and it'll let you experiment with different kinds of framing. Look at a lot of pictures, maybe read a book or two, and try new things. When you feel limited by not having a wider, longer, faster, or higher quality lens, it'll be easier for all of us to help you pick the best lens for you.

time2clmb wrote:

I think that advice applies to you, too.

Cheers,
Jon

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM
mMontag
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

Take a look at the Rokinon 12/2 & Zeiss 16-70 = 18mm to 105mm. You can find the Zeiss 16-70 on E-bay for about $800 and the Roki for $300 - be sure to use a seller with a return policy in the case of an "out of tune" lens.

I was able to find a perfect condition 16-70 sub $800 without QC problems and expect the retail cost of that lens to come down in the next year or so.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Ariel70
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

Have you purchased a full frame E-Mount camera or APS-C?

I think he said he bought a NEX, so it's got to be an ASP-C.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

The guy spamming the forum to get 25 post to gain access to B/S area. He not even care to come back to read it and here you guys wasting your time to give him valuable info.

Apr 17, 2014 at 06:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

Bubble wrote:
The guy spamming the forum to get 25 post to gain access to B/S area. He not even care to come back to read it and here you guys wasting your time to give him valuable info.

+1

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:17 PM
branhamj

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

First, thank you Jon and Montag for the responses. I appreciate the information a lot. I have the ASP-C as well Ariel.

Having read through a lot of these threads, I think I have a lot to do in terms of learning some basics and getting more practical experience. Thanks for the tips!

Second, I do want to apologize for spamming the boards. I did shotgun a bunch of comments to get past that 25 line and I did not realize it would shoot the old threads to the top.

Not an auspicious start. I have been impressed by the community here and I am definitely embarrassed at the ruckus I caused. Sorry again.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony E-mount best landscape lens?

How much do you want to spend?
What do you already own?
Which NEX?
Do you care for autofocus?
Do you know how to fully get the most out of the camera (tripod, shutter release, ISO100, post-processing, etc)?

Apr 18, 2014 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.