New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · n00b looking for advice

five1johnson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · n00b looking for advice

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and to photography as a hobby. I've always found it interesting so I decided to take the plunge and buy a camera that could get me good results while I learn how to actually produce a decent photo. I have a few friends who shoot and they pointed me to FM as a resource. So, before I start clicking away I thought I would check here and see what websites, books or other resources you would recommend to help me learn some of the basics (framing, lighting etc.).

The camera I'll be starting off with is a Sony NEX-7 with the Kit lens as well as a Sony 50mm F1.8 OSS lens. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:22 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · n00b looking for advice

One thing you can do is browse the various boards here: landscape, portraits, etc. Lots of advice to be found, although not all at once, including where to go, exposures, camera technique, lighting, post processing, and on and on.

But the best teacher is go out and take pictures, and see what you like. It's what YOU like that should be important to you. If you don't like something, think about why you don't like it, and then try to do something differently the next time.

And finally, If you run into a problem that you don't know how to solve, post a question.

Good luck to you, and have fun! Post some images too!!
keith

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:34 PM
five1johnson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · n00b looking for advice

Thanks Keith. I imagine I will have a lot of "what the heck happened here?" pictures that I can post and get help with. I see A LOT of good photos posted around the site but not a bad idea to post some bad ones to figure out how to correct them,

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:59 PM
branhamj

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · n00b looking for advice

I am in the same boat. Just got a NEX-5R and looking for some ideas/inspiration. Good luck!

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:10 PM
five1johnson

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · n00b looking for advice

Good luck branhamj. I almost bought that 5R myself. It came highly recommended from a friend of mine who researches this stuff religiously. He owns one himself and says he likes it so much that he only uses his full body Canon when he really wants to settle in and set up a shot. I only went with the 7 because it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:25 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · n00b looking for advice

Since one thing you asked about was books, I'll recommend Michael Freeman's Digital Photography Handbook, and The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby, for starters. There are of course many others, and also lots of video tutorials available on the web.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · n00b looking for advice

I recommend reading the manual and knowing you're camera. If you don't know much about photography, Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is a good book to explain the basics of exposure and using Aperture, Shutter and Manual modes in simple terms. Access to videos also comes with the book. And Google, there are hundreds of articles on different types of photography. Most important: Practice

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM
SugarRush

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · n00b looking for advice

Definitely read your camera manual (it helps quite a bit). For books, looks at Amazon's best sellers/highest rated and those will get you started. I started with a book on exposure in addition to a general photography book, and a nature photography book (because that was my main subject interest).
Websites can also be a big help, one that got me started was the digital photography school site (pops up on google). It's also really nice to read professional photographer blogs to get a sense of how they create their photos.

Hope this helps!

Apr 18, 2014 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.