Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · The Patriarcs

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Patriarcs

This is why I left DPreview to escape the sharpness cops. I agree with others, a highly downsized image is a poor place to judge critical sharpness.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:58 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Patriarcs

I like the composition and color rendition. The foreground rock and the two lighted patriarchs are balancing each other as if they are holding the table clothes straightening at diagonal corners. What surprises me though is that the water flow and the clouds in the sky seem very smooth at the shutter speed of 1/20s. I am not sure Fred's skillful post processing was the result. Nevertheless, this image is well captured.

PS: I am curious to know if you also notice the shutter vibration @50 mm, of this camera that Lloyd claims.

Edited on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM
tsaphoto
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Patriarcs

Nigel Turner wrote:
I'm not looking at the submerged rock at all. If you feel that the image is shape then all is well, but if I had invested well over $5,000 for body and lens I would be extremely pissed of. Its soft!

It would be interesting to her Fred's view though.

I guess its each to their own and what pleases you. No wonder the camera companies make so much money.

I've been there several times, and that rock is out of focus in real life. Fred's capture is true to the scene.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM
wswartzwel
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Patriarcs

"I've been there several times, and that rock is out of focus in real life. Fred's capture is true to the scene. "

That is the funniest post. Love it!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM
sangdabom73
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Patriarcs

Great shot of Patriarchs, Fred. I'm looking forward to your other Zion NP images =)

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Patriarcs

Hey Fred,

Nice work on this one. I really like the rock in the foreground, it really adds that one extra touch to this. As for any softness, it looks fine to me.

Good job working the light with this.

Jim

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Patriarcs

If that is the DR you can get from a single exposure in the A7R then I may have to make the move. Nicely captured and processed!

My only nit is the curved line of the opposing bank. I know it isn't, but my first thought when I look at the picture is "too bad about the power line". I may just have to get over it :-)

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Patriarcs

wswartzwel wrote:
"I've been there several times, and that rock is out of focus in real life. Fred's capture is true to the scene. "

That is the funniest post. Love it!

That settles it. Order has been restored.... ;-)

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Jcarlson
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Patriarcs

Beautiful light.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The Patriarcs

How was that shot @ 50mm? Is it stiched? Looks pretty wide angle to me.

No conclusions can be made about sharpness at that reduced size. The reduction method could probably just use some tweaking to give it a more crisp look, but that's all.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:02 PM
edwinIII
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The Patriarcs

Great scene, the sunlit peaks and foreground rock color compliment each other nicely

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The Patriarcs

ben egbert wrote:
Great one Fred. I have struggled with the patriarchs. Trying to get them without shadows, well now I know I don't need to.

Ben,
There is a lot of contrast at this time of the day. (about 30 minutes after sunrise).
You may have to bracket your shots. I got away with this because of the tremendous DR from the Sony A7R.
Fred

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The Patriarcs

mihind24 wrote:
Where exactly are you seeing the soft focus on the foreground rock? Do you realize that part of it is underwater? Do you realize that there is a thin "glaze" of water on the exposed portion of the rock? This can play tricks with your mind, and you can trust me, I've been to Zion a lot. It looks very sharp to me, and everyone else as is evident by the posts. Perhaps your monitor settings are not optimal? Could also be your connection, once in a while an image loads funky for me due to my horrible ISP, which
...Show more

It's not a very detailed rock and water was passing through it so it got that slimy look. It looks fine at 100% though.
Fred

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The Patriarcs

ben egbert wrote:
This is why I left DPreview to escape the sharpness cops. I agree with others, a highly downsized image is a poor place to judge critical sharpness.

I'm glad you have you here in the soft side of town.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The Patriarcs

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I like the composition and color rendition. The foreground rock and the two lighted patriarchs are balancing each other as if they are holding the table clothes straightening at diagonal corners. What surprises me though is that the water flow and the clouds in the sky seem very smooth at the shutter speed of 1/20s. I am not sure Fred's skillful post processing was the result. Nevertheless, this image is well captured.

PS: I am curious to know if you also notice the shutter vibration @50 mm, of this camera that Lloyd claims.

As I wrote in my review when carefully inspecting my files at 100% magnification, the vibration blur was noticeable above 100mm focal length from 1/30s until the 1/125s shutter speed range. The blur is very subtle but it is still there. I have never seen any blur below 100mm.

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The Patriarcs

Slabshaft wrote:
How was that shot @ 50mm? Is it stiched? Looks pretty wide angle to me.

No conclusions can be made about sharpness at that reduced size. The reduction method could probably just use some tweaking to give it a more crisp look, but that's all.

After reading your post I went back checked the exif. and realized I mixed up the data. This image could never be taken at 50mm..not even stitched.
The correct info for this image is: A7R, Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L @f9, 1sec.
Fred

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:39 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The Patriarcs

Fred Miranda wrote:
After reading your post I went back checked the exif. and realized I mixed up the data. This image could never be taken at 50mm..not even stitched.
The correct info for this image is: A7R, Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L @f9, 1sec.
Fred

Okay, that Exif information, 1s exposure, seems to resolve my question about the smoothness of the sky and water.
Also the photo was taken at 17mm not at 50mm. I was rather worried that something doesn't quite make sense. Thanks for the clarification. Also thanks for the info about the camera shake data. I have a keen eye on this camera.. that is why..

Apr 17, 2014 at 02:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The Patriarcs

Fred Miranda wrote:
Ben,
There is a lot of contrast at this time of the day. (about 30 minutes after sunrise).
You may have to bracket your shots. I got away with this because of the tremendous DR from the Sony A7R.
Fred

Yes, I did a 3 images blend from behind the waterfall and never was able to make it look natural. I think the clouds in your sky helped a bit. You have a wonderful composition here. I usually go out sand trail a bit further to get a full view of the three peaks and no foreground but by then it is too harsh and anyway its a sterile shot from that location.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:42 PM
genefixer
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The Patriarcs

Fred

nice use of the anchoring rock!!

Mike

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:07 PM
titas
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The Patriarcs

This is sweet. A very nice and appealing shot Fred. I love the light and composition.

Titas

Apr 18, 2014 at 03:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.