Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · The Patriarcs

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Patriarcs

This picture was taken at my first sunrise in Zion.
It was a cold morning but a fun hike through the Virgin river. Amazing location!

Updated correct exif: A7R + Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L, @f/9, 1sec

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:37 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Patriarcs

Hi Fred,

This combination of camera and lens is exactly what I was thinking of purchasing into sometime soon.

I have to say that with this image I am somewhat disappointed. The foreground rock seems to have very soft focus but I have been led to believe that the lens is just about the best one can buy for a zoom and coupled with the Sony a7r I would have expected a lot better.

Therefore just wondering if this is a blend of images for HDR as I know the contrast range between the highlights of the top formations, and the river must be at least 7 stops if not more but HDR would cause problems.

Spent a lot of time over on the ALT Gear forums and the a7r images there look mostly top notch.

Guess I'll rent the same combination and come to my own conclusions later in the summer.

Nigel.

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:55 PM
dpbingham
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Patriarcs

very nice!

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:56 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Patriarcs

Very nice image, great light
Foreground rock looks fine to me!

Thanks for posting
Dan

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:39 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Patriarcs

I like this one a lot. Rock looks fine to me. Maybe he is looking at the part of the rock that is below the surface? Although it could be a blend, owning a D600, I can see how you could get the range with a single image.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Patriarcs

The foreground rock look sharp on my monitor, beautiful rendering colors, contrast and sharp. This is what I'm expected from this lens. I'm a bit disappointed because of the highlights on top to the mountain.
I wonder if have you tempted reduce highlight and contrast on top the mountain so both foreground and background with even lighting.

Edited on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:10 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Patriarcs

dswiger wrote:
Very nice image, great light
Foreground rock looks fine to me!

Thanks for posting
Dan

The fg and bg are tremendous Fred!!
Dan

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Patriarcs

Great one Fred. I have struggled with the patriarchs. Trying to get them without shadows, well now I know I don't need to.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:18 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Patriarcs

JimKied wrote:
I like this one a lot. Rock looks fine to me. Maybe he is looking at the part of the rock that is below the surface? Although it could be a blend, owning a D600, I can see how you could get the range with a single image.

I'm not looking at the submerged rock at all. If you feel that the image is shape then all is well, but if I had invested well over $5,000 for body and lens I would be extremely pissed of. Its soft!

It would be interesting to her Fred's view though.

I guess its each to their own and what pleases you. No wonder the camera companies make so much money.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:31 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Patriarcs

I noticed that too about the foreground rock being soft. Dont know if water movement caused it.
Great shot nevertheless.

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Patriarcs

Nice shot Fred!

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Patriarcs

A very pleasing scene and composition.

As to the debate over fg/bg sharpness:

Looks fine on my monitor.

I'm sure a large hanging print will also look exceptional at normal viewing distance.

While it could be argued that the rock is ever-so-slightly soft, it is not objectionable in the least.

In fact, seeing the exif showing 50mm @ f:8, I would not expect the apparent DOF to show everything from rock to peaks in tack-sharp focus.

So, conclusion: a fine shot in all respects.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Patriarcs

Nigel Turner wrote:
Hi Fred,

This combination of camera and lens is exactly what I was thinking of purchasing into sometime soon.

I have to say that with this image I am somewhat disappointed. The foreground rock seems to have very soft focus but I have been led to believe that the lens is just about the best one can buy for a zoom and coupled with the Sony a7r I would have expected a lot better.

Therefore just wondering if this is a blend of images for HDR as I know the contrast range between the highlights of the top formations, and the river
...Show more

You seem to get easily disappointed Nigel.
The A7R + Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II is a fine combination throughout the entire range. Aside from the TS-E and Zeiss primes, it would be hard to find anything better especially considering it's a zoom. You won't be disappointed...wait...maybe you will.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Patriarcs

very nice

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Patriarcs

JimKied wrote:

Thanks Jim,
This was a single exposure. Because of the focal length, this image could benefit from focus stacking but I decided against it because I was shooting in a very awkward position from inside the creek and the ground wasn't stable at all.
Fred

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM
mihind24
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Patriarcs

Nigel Turner wrote:

Where exactly are you seeing the soft focus on the foreground rock? Do you realize that part of it is underwater? Do you realize that there is a thin "glaze" of water on the exposed portion of the rock? This can play tricks with your mind, and you can trust me, I've been to Zion a lot. It looks very sharp to me, and everyone else as is evident by the posts. Perhaps your monitor settings are not optimal? Could also be your connection, once in a while an image loads funky for me due to my horrible ISP, which shall remain nameless.

Plus, we really shouldn't be claiming anything about poor sharpness on an image which is probably 1/10th the original size.

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:21 AM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Patriarcs

Nice shot looks sharp to me. Wonder if people are not clicking on the photo to see it in black box ? It appears sharper that way to my eye.
Don

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:35 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Patriarcs

Nice handling of the dynamic range here. I like it.
The foreground rock looks sharp. There may be some distortion that gives a subtle appearance of softness others have mentioned. I like it. Wait, I said that.

David

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:13 AM
Jim Sanderson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Patriarcs

Pretty nice Fred. That foreground rock puts you right in the picture. Wish I were in Zion rather than Fresno.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:27 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Patriarcs

Plus, we really shouldn't be claiming anything about poor sharpness on an image which is probably 1/10th the original size.

...and compressed for the web. Looks sharp even on my work computer monitor. I really enjoy this composition. I was looking for something like this myself when I went but couldn't find a pleasing foreground subject. This is a really nice image.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.