FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Real Estate lens!

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Real Estate lens!

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Impossible to correct? One click in Lighroom with the right profile?

I don't see a profile in the latest version of lightroom.

Apr 17, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Ryder
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Real Estate lens!

I'm surely not an expert in this area but I have found that the distortion (call it non linear or whatever) in some lenses does not correct so easily. Especially for interior and/or architectural work some will require more than one click in LR. In my experience, this includes some lenses in the Nikon line up that one might choose for such work. The 16-35 for example. I'm not saying it can't be "fixed," especially for RE purposes, but it might take a bit more work. I would not assume that LR will be an acceptable one click fix for interior/architectural work with all lenses.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:35 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Real Estate lens!

treebeard wrote:

There is user created profiles for LR for this lens. At least they worked flawlessly on Lightroom 4. The profile is probably on the name of Samyang 14mm, because it is the most popular brand the name is sold under. I can test this out after the easter when I am back at the office.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Real Estate lens!

PTLens can also correct the distortion quite well, although I agree that the 14mm is too wide for most things (still, I made it work when I had one).

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Real Estate lens!

Ryder wrote:
I'm surely not an expert in this area but I have found that the distortion (call it non linear or whatever) in some lenses does not correct so easily. Especially for interior and/or architectural work some will require more than one click in LR. In my experience, this includes some lenses in the Nikon line up that one might choose for such work. The 16-35 for example. I'm not saying it can't be "fixed," especially for RE purposes, but it might take a bit more work. I would not assume that LR will be an acceptable one click fix for
...Show more

Agree with this, some of the LR "build in" lens profiles are very primitive and do not fix the small distortions very well. However if the profile is made accurately it can fix about any distortion. Of course correcting distortion always lowers the resolution of the photo a bit.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Real Estate lens!

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
There is user created profiles for LR for this lens. At least they worked flawlessly on Lightroom 4. The profile is probably on the name of Samyang 14mm, because it is the most popular brand the name is sold under. I can test this out after the easter when I am back at the office.

That would be cool.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM
nikontypes

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Real Estate lens!

I think the Rokinon works fine for real estate photography such as interior shots. There are some profiles available from the Adobe Profile Downloader that work well, but maybe won't get things perfect. Most real estate agents just want small, low resolution shots for internet sites. The Sigma 10-20 was also reasonably good on DX for interior shots. 24mm is not wide enough for most real estate shooting.

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:51 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Real Estate lens!

nikontypes wrote:
I think the Rokinon works fine for real estate photography such as interior shots. There are some profiles available from the Adobe Profile Downloader that work well, but maybe won't get things perfect. Most real estate agents just want small, low resolution shots for internet sites. The Sigma 10-20 was also reasonably good on DX for interior shots. 24mm is not wide enough for most real estate shooting.

I probably should have NOT purchased the Sigma 24-60 but it's such a nice lens, sharp, good contrast and the focus is dead-on with my D600. I am thinking of the Rokinon, Samyang, or whatever it's called.

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:55 PM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Real Estate lens!

Psychic1 wrote:
Scott

Your photos are meant to entice prospective clients to call, not disclose every nook-n-cranny and prevent a visit.

Your wife needs an opportunity to show and sell.

I shoot a Canon 1DsIII and TS-E24L.

I agree. But many real estate agents want too many pictures and really don't understand the concept of a few good images creating the desire for a viewing.
Too many pictures (especially artless ones) give the viewer an opportunity to dismiss a property without really getting to understand what the place is like.

As for lens I use a a 17TS-E and assorted other lenses as I need. Often I will just crop a tighter frame out of a wide view with no real concern for resolution as most of the FF cameras have more than enough res for the average web view that the image is destined for.
I started in the business with a Sigma 12-24. Yes it was softish in the corners but NO ONE noticed and I made a lot of money with it. I have a Rokinon for the extremely wide views and it does the job and is tack sharp. As for distortion, there are LR profiles and with an UWA who can tell what is lens distortion and what is perspective exaggeration absent crazy barrel distortion?

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:52 PM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Real Estate lens!

treebeard wrote:

Google the question and it will lead you to several download options for the lens profile. Adobe does not have one AFAIK

Apr 19, 2014 at 02:55 PM
markd61
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Real Estate lens!

I found this helpful post:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/samyang14.html

Apr 19, 2014 at 03:00 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Real Estate lens!

markd61 wrote:
I agree. But many real estate agents want too many pictures and really don't understand the concept of a few good images creating the desire for a viewing.
Too many pictures (especially artless ones) give the viewer an opportunity to dismiss a property without really getting to understand what the place is like.

As for lens I use a a 17TS-E and assorted other lenses as I need. Often I will just crop a tighter frame out of a wide view with no real concern for resolution as most of the FF cameras have more than enough res for the average web
...Show more

My wife was showing me a house online last night and whoever took the images ATTEMPTED to HDR them and the distortion and color was horrible. I would imagine too many images or many bad images could turn someone off.

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:16 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Real Estate lens!

Scott

When a couple decides they are going to purchase a house they will relentlessly turn over ever stone, regardless of the quality of the photography.

They become possessed

I will do a mild HDR, +1, -, -1 if the Sun is blasting through the windows.

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:56 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Real Estate lens!

Real Estate interiors are a big part of my business. My pictures are in Luxury Homes Magazine almost every month out here in Hawaii.

I shoot a full frame (5d2) with my 17-40L and it is always at 17mm.

IMO, anything less wide (or on a crop) and you will be doing realtors (and yourself) a great disservice.

The 17 T/S should be about the best there is for this genre.

You are going to want to portray the interiors as big as possible and you won't achieve that with 24mm (especially on crop)

HTH

greg

Link to my Real Estate page:

http://gregsimages.com/gallery-2

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:06 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Real Estate lens!

gheller wrote:
Real Estate interiors are a big part of my business. My pictures are in Luxury Homes Magazine almost every month out here in Hawaii.

IMO, anything less wide (or on a crop) and you will be doing realtors (and yourself) a great disservice.

You are going to want to portray the interiors as big as possible and you won't achieve that with 24mm (especially on crop)

HTH

greg

Link to my Real Estate page:

http://gregsimages.com/gallery-2

Thanks Greg. I am thinking I may sell the Sigma 24-60 that I am using on my D600 and get something wider. The only other time I would use the lens is when I go out hiking along brooks, streams, etc...not sure if I really want to sell the Sigma 24-60 though, it's a pretty sweet lens.

Apr 20, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Mark Rigsby
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Real Estate lens!

I shoot 5D MIII and primarily the 16-35L I use three flashes placed so as to eliminate shadows. I pretty much shoot 16mm most of the time but when I get in the huge house with tons of little details I take those pics.

I have actions set hop for distortion correction on photoshop and can edit a full set (32 images) in less than an hour and half

You need to be able to produce quality photos that take very little time. Real Estate agents are very frugal and will almost always go for price unless there is a huge quality drop off.

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:40 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Real Estate lens!

gheller wrote:

+1

Hi Scott,

I'm not in Greg's league but I do shoot a realtor friend's nicer listings from time to time and the majority of the interior keepers are using the 10-24 on a D7000 and tripod - and clean up of the wide angle distortion (vertical lines) on pretty much all 20 or 30 interior shots I deliver.

The last home sold sight unseen based on the photos and description. It was pretty astonishing.

As Mark notes, realtor's usually don't spring for decent images. It's surprising how many photos of even pricey properties are taken with iPhones (at least in this market). You should be able to give your wife a considerable advantage.

Good luck,

Chuck

Apr 21, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Ryder
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Real Estate lens!

Think about how wide you generally want to go. You don't increase how large a room looks when you go wide. You distort it and most of the furnishings along with it. Check out the instructional videos of Scott Hargis or Mike Kelly (to name just a couple) on RE Photography and see what they have to say. Check out the better shooters and portfolios at PFRE or the REPAI and see how they handle it. A 24 T/S is my most used lens but it can't do the job all of the time.

Apr 28, 2014 at 06:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.