New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

I finally broke down and bought a Canon 5D Mark III Monday night. It looks like a great all around camera that I can also use for some sports and wildlife, something my 5D Mark II wasn't great for. I haven't had time to get out with it or read the manual and I'm waiting on an L-plate, but I figured I would post here and ask if there are any tips, pointers or links for setting up the camera properly, using the autofocus system, what to look for etc. Also, will this camera autofocus at f8 when using teleconverters?

I'm taking what I would call for me a dream trip to France and Belgium this summer and I figured this trip was worthy of a camera upgrade. I also want a full frame back up camera for this trip, which my 5D II can be now. I may sell the 5D II after the trip is over. Any help would be great.

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:43 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

to start with use the auto settings for auto focus, number 1 in the pink menu is pretty good for everything

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:50 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Thanks! I'll still be using this a good deal on a tripod shooting landscapes, heritage homes and older abandoned homes. I guess a center point set up would work for that. The sports and wildlife will be a different story.

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:23 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

As of firmware 1.2.3 the 5D3 will AF up to f/8. If your body doesn't come with the newest firmware, you will need to download it from the Canon site and do the upgrade.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Great camera. It will focus at f8. It is useful with a 1.4x on my 100-400 which is impressive.

The first thing I do when I get a new canon is to turn it to raw. Then turn histogram and exposure blinkies on.

On the 5diii, set it up so that the pictures go to one card. Choose the cf one and get a good card. Then you will be able to do a burst of 25 or so.

Next I would set up c1,c2, c3. It will help you learn and when a shot suddenly appears you are ready and then back off to manual or otherwise. My settings are:
c1 - tripod landscape, f11, average exposure, single focus, auto bracket x3, mirror lockup, aperture mode
c2 - handheld landscape, f8, average exposure, single focus, auto bracket x3, aperture mode
c3 - wildlife, aiservo, wide open, auto iso, dot centre focus and dot centre exposure, aperture mode
Obviously, you have a different style

I set my auto-iso setting to let the iso rise 1 stop above default and the 1/shutter limited to about 1/150.

Maybe this helps.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

aladyforty wrote:
to start with use the auto settings for auto focus, number 1 in the pink menu is pretty good for everything

That's absolutely what I wouldn't do personally.

Like the 7D the auto AF setting focuses on the closest thing it thinks is correct and in my experience it usually isn't.

I would experiment with the AF modes and decide which works for you, my favourite is the single point with surrounding points helping coupled with direct control from the rear controller so you can choose an AF point on the fly.

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:06 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

if you really want to understand the AF system you need to read this:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained/AF_guide_EOS-1DX_eng.pdf

(it's for the 1dx, but the majority of it is applicable to the 5d3)

have fun

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:22 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

if it's any consolation, once you figure out what works for you, you'll likely only have a few AF setups of interest. just program them into c1/c2/c3 and you won't have to mess with it much after that.

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:27 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

John_T wrote:
As of firmware 1.2.3 the 5D3 will AF up to f/8. If your body doesn't come with the newest firmware, you will need to download it from the Canon site and do the upgrade.

This camera is brand new and was ordered by the local shop a few weeks ago. Hopefully it has the latest firmware installed. I believe it should say somewhere in the menu shouldn't it?

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Steven Campbel wrote:
This camera is brand new and was ordered by the local shop a few weeks ago. Hopefully it has the latest firmware installed. I believe it should say somewhere in the menu shouldn't it?

Yes. Set-up 4 (yellow).

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:26 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

jcolwell wrote:
Yes. Set-up 4 (yellow).

Thanks! And thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll hopefully be digging into it some more tonight.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Start with a few days of trying out all that's new compared to your 5DII, try some high ISO shots (all of a sudden, ISO 12800 is a viable option!) and then micro-adjust your lenses for optimal performance. I've reached exactly that stage, having bought a 5DIII a week ago myself :-) I can recommend the Reikan Focal software for micro-adjustment, others will like different options.

Have fun, it's a magnificent camera!

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:00 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

YEP!!! the 5DMK3 does really well at F8 and any where else depending on what your shooting.

© onesickpuppy 2014

speeding along about 160 mph

© onesickpuppy 2014

standing still....looking good

speeding down track at about 145 mph

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Great shots! As for micro adjust, I have never actually done this with any of my lenses. That being said, I have no third party lenses, just Canon L series. I'm assuming this makes a difference, although I am open to trying anything that will make things perform better.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:09 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Even canon L will/might need micro adjust

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:26 PM
dmccombs
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Make the time to read the manual. All these great tips can be better utilized then.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

dmccombs wrote:
Make the time to read the manual. All these great tips can be better utilized then.

I totally agree. I am going to start in on it tonight. A pair of eagles has made a nest not far from here. It's way down a cliff but I'm going down there tomorrow to try it out with a 300 2.8 and a 2X teleconverter. Even 600mm isn't quite enough because the there was a nest there last year.

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:45 PM
Box Brownie

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Scott Stoness wrote:
Great camera. It will focus at f8. It is useful with a 1.4x on my 100-400 which is impressive.

The first thing I do when I get a new canon is to turn it to raw. Then turn histogram and exposure blinkies on.

On the 5diii, set it up so that the pictures go to one card. Choose the cf one and get a good card. Then you will be able to do a burst of 25 or so.

Next I would set up c1,c2, c3. It will help you learn and when a shot suddenly appears you are ready and then
...Show more

Hi

Have you got any images to show with the 100-400 + 1.4x TC combo

TIA

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Box Brownie

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

Steven Campbel wrote:
I totally agree. I am going to start in on it tonight. A pair of eagles has made a nest not far from here. It's way down a cliff but I'm going down there tomorrow to try it out with a 300 2.8 and a 2X teleconverter. Even 600mm isn't quite enough because the there was a nest there last year.

I look forward to seeing those eagles

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:55 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So I bought a 5D Mark III

dhphoto wrote:
That's absolutely what I wouldn't do personally.

Like the 7D the auto AF setting focuses on the closest thing it thinks is correct and in my experience it usually isn't.

I would experiment with the AF modes and decide which works for you, my favourite is the single point with surrounding points helping coupled with direct control from the rear controller so you can choose an AF point on the fly.

I meant the settings when you go through the menu to the pink box AF settings and it has case 1 2 3 4 5 etc. case 1 is versatile multi purpose and if you just want to shoot anything and turn your brain off it works very well. I set the camera up with single point with surrounding points all the time anyway and use the button on the top right hand side back of the camera to manually move the focus point, it still stays in case 1 I gather, in any case I find that system works well for quick shots

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.