New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Inga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

I can probably find an answer for this online somewhere or in the manual but figure you guys can answer this better.

I shoot with a 5D3 and usually use a Neutral picture style, while shooting in RAW and then process in LR. However, I find that checking focus on the LCD is difficult with the Sharpness turned down in the Neutral setting.

My understanding is that shooting in RAW, there are many things that are not 'baked' into the file and are adjustable in post.

Will increasing the sharpness setting in the picture style (to make focus checking on the LCD easier) effect the RAW files imported into LR? Am I doing irreparable damage to the files by using this in-camera sharpening?

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

No. The settings only affect the jpeg used for previews and the default RAW processing parameters in some applications. You should be able to override the sharpening, white balance, etc. settings in your RAW converter.

EBH

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:28 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

The only in camera options that affect raw are highlights priority and long exposures noise reduction.

The rest are just recorded on jpg and metada

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

you aren't affecting the file at all, you are just telling the raw processing software how to process the file later. So, if you want to deal with always changing the sharpness back to a lower setting when you process your files, you would have the same results.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Increasing the sharpness will not affect the Raw.

Canon Raw is inviolable. Only Canon DPP modifies it and even then non-destructively (remembers edits; doesn't actually modify bits). Even Photoshop / LightRoom will not touch it, but will make a sidecar file with settings it wants to remember, unlike JPEGs where it will put them directly into the JPEG (if you choose that option; not an option for Raw).

Picture styles and White Balances in the camera will affect the HistoBlinkyMeter but not the Raw.

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 09:34 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Inga wrote:
My understanding is that shooting in RAW, there are many things that are not 'baked' into the file and are adjustable in post.

Right.

The saved RAW file won't be affected by the jpeg settings, but the process that ACR uses to convert the RAW file into a working file can be affected. In order to avoid any "import bias", you have to zero all of the 'sliders' in ACR. I don't use LR, I use PS CS6, but the RAW conversion process is similar, AFAIK. You can also use DPP for RAW conversion (to TIFF, for me), and the same 'zeroing' of settings applies.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Man! You guys must have been waiting for this question! Talk about quick draw. Accurate, too.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:35 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

jcolwell wrote:
Man! You guys must have been waiting for this question! Talk about quick draw. Accurate, too.

Wow, no kidding!!!

I know I can test this for myself, I probably will. Just thought I'd see if the answer was here first.

So, if I shoot one RAW image with sharpness dialed to zero, and then another with it dialed to maximum, and then import the images into LR, they should look the same (if just the defaults are set in LR)?

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Inga wrote:
Wow, no kidding!!!

I know I can test this for myself, I probably will. Just thought I'd see if the answer was here first.

So, if I shoot one RAW image with sharpness dialed to zero, and then another with it dialed to maximum, and then import the images into LR, they should look the same (if just the defaults are set in LR)?

Yeppers.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Inga wrote:

Yes. They may not be the same size file because the embedded JPEG preview image may be a different size (sharpening affects JPEG size).

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Good stuff. Thank you all so much!!

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:51 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

RobDickinson wrote:
The only in camera options that affect raw are highlights priority and long exposures noise reduction.

The rest are just recorded on jpg and metada

I learned that also High Iso noise reduction affects raw images on Canon cameras. So, set to On or OFF?

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:00 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Khun Hans wrote:
I learned that also High Iso noise reduction affects raw images on Canon cameras. So, set to On or OFF?

i don't think that is true

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Khun Hans
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

skibum5 wrote:
i don't think that is true

FRAGA wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1269625/0?keyword=noise,reduction#12093790

"On the other hand, at high iso, in-camera NR does take away a lot of detail. Even in raw.
Yes, the camera applies NR to raw files."

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:27 AM
Khun Hans
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Sorry to hijack your topic but it came up here.
Thanks.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:32 AM
Parkertinsley
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

shoot black and white in RAW, the colors can come back in lightroom or photoshop and if you initally see the photo in black and white then you will learn how to look for light instead of colors.

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Khun Hans wrote:
FRAGA wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1269625/0?keyword=noise,reduction#12093790

"On the other hand, at high iso, in-camera NR does take away a lot of detail. Even in raw.
Yes, the camera applies NR to raw files."

Does he have evidence? Especially for under ISO12,800?
Is he maybe using DPP and forgetting the DPP default it's processing to match the camera (you can turn that off)?

I don't see what it seems like he describes.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

How about long exposure NR, where the camera in effect measures a blank frame of same exposure time? How is that handled?

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:59 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

skibum5 wrote:
Does he have evidence? Especially for under ISO12,800?
Is he maybe using DPP and forgetting the DPP default it's processing to match the camera (you can turn that off)?

I don't see what it seems like he describes.

I searched the net for evidence. Only I got was that Canon in camera high ISO NR is relevant in DPP. I will ask him. May be knows more then we do.

Edited on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon Picture Styles and RAW

Photon wrote:
How about long exposure NR, where the camera in effect measures a blank frame of same exposure time? How is that handled?

As far as I know Long Exposure NR is relevant to the file directly. No matter where you post process.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.