New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

werds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

So have been looking at way too many bags to keep track of anymore and without a good gear shop near me (I live 2 and a half hours from the nearest major city either in state or out of state). So left with youtube, google and a prayer...

So since I am slowly getting in the gear game I need a backpack that will allow for 2 dslr's with attached lenses and various gear. It is my grab and go bag. BOTH DSLR need to be accessible as one is my wifes and one is mines. Until I had bought my own DLSR we were using a Case Logic SLRC-206 which we had gotten for a steal.

Currently the best that I could come up with inside my price range that meets the criteria was Hama Daytour 230 I had also been looking at the Tamarac 5786 Evolution 6 but not certain if that would actually fit two dslr with lenses attached. (Hers with a t5i and 18-135stm and mines with a 70D and 17-55 attached)

Thoughts and advice welcomed!

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:29 PM
theroadtaken
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Not sure what your price range is but I would take a look at f-stop gear. I have the Loka and can easily fit two DSLRs with lenses (of course depends on the lenses). Plus if your are going to be traveling any distance with two cameras, lenses, and gear then your back will appreciate the internal frame of the f-stop backpacks. The bags are pricey but the quality is great and the flexibility to grow and shrink depending on your gear is really nice.

http://fstopgear.com

Just my thoughts...

Chris

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:49 PM
werds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

arbitrage wrote:
I'm not familiar with the ones you have listed. My favourite bag (in theory as I have never seen it in person) for what you are wanting is the F-Stop Kenti. I do own their Guru bag and materials are top notch. Here is the link: http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/kenti.html#.U03gOV476R8

Nice! Thanks for the link.

theroadtaken wrote:
Not sure what your price range is but I would take a look at f-stop gear. I have the Loka and can easily fit two DSLRs with lenses (of course depends on the lenses). Plus if your are going to be traveling any distance with two cameras, lenses, and gear then your back will appreciate the internal frame of the f-stop backpacks. The bags are pricey but the quality is great and the flexibility to grow and shrink depending on your gear is really nice.

http://fstopgear.com

Just my thoughts...

Chris

No true price range at the moment. I started by looking at the $40 ones on Amazon and quickly found myself staring hard at the $200+ backpacks before I realized they were that expensive. The more I research the harder time I am having simply because if I am going to spend more on the bag I want to get what I specifically have an interest in having gear wise. So sad to say the wallet is fairly open as you are right I would regularly be the one humping the gear and for extended outings.

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:55 PM
doogie2304
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

another vote for the f-stop loka! i regularly cart 2 x 1-series bodies, 3-4 lenses, assorted accessories and a rrs 34l tripod atteched to the side. the internal frame and fantastic harness make it all comfortable for long distances.
well worth the money!

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I must've tried 5 or 6 bags before I settled on the Loka. After many miles of hiking and lots of trips, it's still going strong. I pack 2 bodies, 3 lenses, a pano head, lighting gear, a jacket and food. Lots more options on this backpack round up I did a while back: http://bit.ly/1hHMZ8o

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Loka w/lrg ICU

Edited on Apr 16, 2014 at 06:31 AM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I use a TT Airport Commuter.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I am looking to the upper series of the Tamrac expedition, the 8 or 9. I more use mine as transport carrier than long treks. J. R.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

^big bulky igloo coolers

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:04 AM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

good luck endeavor, take your time....this may sound silly but it allowed me to initially verify if the internal compartment measurements given by any (mfg'r of choice) would hold 2 bodies w\attached lens of preference.70-200 28 is w\hoods and 24-70 2.8 on 7d or 5dmk2 body...speedlight, filters, cf carry cases, batteries...everything I carry in my pelican that will get me thru the day on site .......get a large piece of paper, sharpie, large ruler straightedge....draw the dimensions of the purported internal dimension's onto the paper including the depth of the carry thing...on another piece of paper draw\outline around your preferred bodies w\attached lenses of choice ...........lay the cutouts of the individual equipment pieces inside the dimensions of the interior measurements of the carry thing and you will get a pretty true idea if it'll work or not. yep it takes time to do that but so does going to the store, anywhere.... or blindly ordering a bag with purported internal measurements getting it and its "just" too small...hassles of returning it.....I was looking for backpacks for 2 people with different gear and spent hours researching various makers and products...ordered 4 bags so my friend could see if she wanted one style over the other......found out that 2 I preferred for myself weren't quite large enough, as the mfg'f purported they would work for what I had.......so I cut those templates and layed out the sketched interior dimensioned of a prospect and that enabled be to see if it will actually fit and not be right up against the posted tolerances of internal carry things.......my friend decided on her bag of choice by putting what she'd carry around and is happy...ive got 2 brand new bags laying in the closet floor, yet to be returned or used because I don't really like the huge size of the lowepro 500aw that doesn't have an internal frame for added support but it will hold all my preferred carry gear whereas the 400 model wouldn't, like the lowepro site made references it would...if I would have had the templates in front of me before I ordered it..i would have known for sure....... so it sits awaiting future action of re-sell to someone that'll it work for.......I was attempting to get a bag with external measurements that weren't "overboard" while trying to get the internals large enough to fit.......f stops are where I'm looking now w\o any action......don't go by mfg'r dimensions w\o making templates of actual size cutouts to visually see if it'll work in short...save the aggravation you'll willfully impose upon yourself by just accepting mfg'r word "its good to go" w\o physically checking yourself...the important thing to me was backside or against the body entry only..i didn't want to take any chances of someone being able to access the internal contents from my backside, unknowingly..... basic, common sense, security prevention.

Apr 16, 2014 at 03:48 PM
werds
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

craig_k wrote:
good luck endeavor, take your time....this may sound silly but it allowed me to initially verify if the internal compartment measurements given by any (mfg'r of choice) would hold 2 bodies w\attached lens of preference.70-200 28 is w\hoods and 24-70 2.8 on 7d or 5dmk2 body...speedlight, filters, cf carry cases, batteries...everything I carry in my pelican that will get me thru the day on site .......get a large piece of paper, sharpie, large ruler straightedge....draw the dimensions of the purported internal dimension's onto the paper including the depth of the carry thing...on another piece of paper draw\outline around your preferred
...Show more

This is wonderfully good advice and seems to be the next step I will have to take as I am feeling extremely gun shy on making an online purchase of anything atm. The F-stops are definitely intriguing, but still concerned about the hassle of a returns for a product that just didn't meet all expectations.

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:38 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

werds wrote:
The F-stops are definitely intriguing, but still concerned about the hassle of a returns for a product that just didn't meet all expectations.

I returned an F-stop bag a few years ago because I didn't like it. They were shocked that anyone would return their product, but they took it back without question. In general, smaller online companies like F-stop work hard to make ordering and returning easy because the success of their company depends on it. They are real people with a personal motivation to make you happy. Make a best guess of what bag will work, order it, try it around the house for a day or two, and send it back if it isn't working. It's really that simple.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Another vote for F-Stop. I recently cleared out most of my bags and used the proceeds to get the two that work for me for different situations: Lowepro Pro Messenger 200 and the F-Stop Loka. Tough to swallow the price, but as I've discovered with a lot of other equipment, buy right once and you're golden.

FYI, there happens to be a Loka listed on the B&S forum for just under $300 with a large ICU right now. (Not mine - just noticed it when I did my weekly "F-Stop" search... lol)

For quick access for two bodies w/ mounted lenses, as someone mentioned, the Kenti may be your best bet.

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:27 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Wish I'd have found the Kenti a few months back. I got a Lowepro Photosport 200 which is decent but won't hold a gripped body well. Anyone cycle with a Kenti?

Rob

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Check out the Gura Gear brands. I absolutely love my Bataflae 32L

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:58 PM
powaysteve

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

Another vote for F-Stop. I had a Loka and the internal frame makes a heavy load very comfortable for long carries. Their customer service is also outstanding and they have a 45-day no questions asked return policy if you don't like the product. I returned a Guru and had no issues at all with the return.

I now have a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L and it gets 2 thumbs up. It is also very comfortable. I carried 33 pounds on a trip to Yellowstone with no problems. The way the two sides open independently makes carrying two cameras very easy. Their customer service is also A+.

Apr 22, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I ordered and waiting to receive a Lowerpro flipside 400 AW.
It seems really capable and i won't have to place it down in order to reach the equipment.

May 16, 2014 at 01:54 PM
SHVv
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I must have more that 8 bags and cases in the attic and not used since getting two Fstops. If the bag doesn't have a frame and doesn't transfer the weight to the hips then you will repeat my mistake. Spend more up front and save money. I made the same mistake with tripods and heads.

Steve

May 16, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Highfive

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

For me it was between fstop and mindshift gear rotation 180.
Went with the mindshift and i love the quality and the rotating hip belt.
When i am out snowboarding or hiking it makes my life so much easier with the easy access to my camera.

A little heavy, but it fits so good on your back, so it is really no problem.

May 16, 2014 at 03:41 PM
mak65
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Backpack for 2 DSLR's

I bought a very lightly used f-Stop Loka a while back. It came with 1 each large, medium and small ICUs. I use the large inside the bag. I use the others to hold lenses when not in use. Best backpack I have ever used. I carry 2 x 1-series cameras and multiple lenses all the time. I strap a Feisol tripod/RRS BH40 to the side. No issues.

As far as service, I recently purchased a rain cover for it. The covers weren't in stock but they took my information. When the cover came in stock f-Stop sent an email and said they were holding one for a week for me to confirm I still wanted it.

Good luck with your decision.

May 16, 2014 at 05:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.