New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a nice, small ballhead that will accept RRS L-Brackets to use on a little tabletop camera dolly that I have. I bought a little cheap ballhead from Amazon that worked great, but it uses a proprietary plate and won't work for my needs. Do you guys know of anything (doesn't have to be fancy or name brand) that offers RRS-Compatibility while maintaining a small footprint (preferably about the size of a Manfrotto 492 or so)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Matthew

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Unless you are using an RRS clamp, the plates should be arca-Swiss compatible, not specifically RRS compatible. RRS makes several small heads. I prefer small Markins heads and large RRS heads.

EBH

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:25 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Thanks EB-1! I'll check out the offerings from Markins.

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

The Markins Q3T is a great little head. Photo Clam also make good quality small ballheads at a price point that's a bit lower than the Markins. If you shoot in extreme environments, Acratech make a small model, the GP-ss that requires no maintenance. They're not cheap but they're pretty much indestructible.

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:13 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

peter_n wrote:
The Markins Q3T is a great little head. Photo Clam also make good quality small ballheads at a price point that's a bit lower than the Markins. If you shoot in extreme environments, Acratech make a small model, the GP-ss that requires no maintenance. They're not cheap but they're pretty much indestructible.

Thank you! This will be for tabletop reviews and some light duty video work so I really don't need anything super high quality or weather resistant as it will be used inside for the most part. I'm looking at the Markins and they seem nice.

I was also looking at some at B&H by Oben and Sirui. They're probably cheap knockoffs from China or something, but they come in at $100 or less, which is appealing to me for the type of work I'll be doing with it.

Then again, I only want to buy one so I should probably just go with the Markins and be done with it.

So many choices...

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:16 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

The larger Sirui heads have had good reviews in the last few months, can't speak to the smaller ones they make. Both Markins and Photo Clam are manufactured in S. Korea and both are well constructed with a quality finish and materials. They are copies of the Arca-Swiss B1/Z1.

I'm sure the Sirui heads are copies too but not sure which brand. Sunwayfoto is another brand that a lot of people like; you are right there are many choices but in general terms you get what you pay for, especially with ballheads.

Apr 17, 2014 at 07:29 AM
trisstrass

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Take a look at KEH. Here is a link to the ball head section: http://tinyurl.com/p2t43nc.

Perhaps a bit too large for what you are looking right now, but they have a Benro B3, which is a great ball head at a good price. I also saw an RRS BH-25 and a number of other brands and price ranges.

Good luck in your search.

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:20 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

trisstrass wrote:
Take a look at KEH. Here is a link to the ball head section: http://tinyurl.com/p2t43nc.

Perhaps a bit too large for what you are looking right now, but they have a Benro B3, which is a great ball head at a good price. I also saw an RRS BH-25 and a number of other brands and price ranges.

Good luck in your search.

Actually... That little BH-25 from RRS would be perfect. Thanks for the heads-up. I actually have an order coming from KEH today. Wish I would have thought to look for a ballhead there. Could have combined shipping. ARGH!

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:44 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

What's the biggest body/lens you'll use on this rig? I found that the BH-25 was best with small primes only, and struggled with keeping a 24-70/2.8 in place.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:13 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Mr Joe wrote:
What's the biggest body/lens you'll use on this rig? I found that the BH-25 was best with small primes only, and struggled with keeping a 24-70/2.8 in place.

Most likely a 70D with a 40 STM or 18-55 STM for tabletop reviews and some alternative camera angles for boardroom style interviews.

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

matthewm wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a nice, small ballhead that will accept RRS L-Brackets to use on a little tabletop camera dolly that I have. I bought a little cheap ballhead from Amazon that worked great, but it uses a proprietary plate and won't work for my needs. Do you guys know of anything (doesn't have to be fancy or name brand) that offers RRS-Compatibility while maintaining a small footprint (preferably about the size of a Manfrotto 492 or so)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Matthew

I converted my 492 to arca for tabletop use: add an arca compatible clamp to your ball head. If it's a Manfrotto 492, you need a boss adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H5BSIZ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HHNIIDPH700W&coliid=I1BI3GSD4V01KK

And a small clamp:

http://www.amazon.com/Skeleton-Desmond-Lightweight-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B00EIQNBXA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EXY6CA750BTN43X1CRW

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:59 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Small ArcaSwiss-Compatible Ball Head

Gochugogi wrote:
I converted my 492 to arca for tabletop use: add an arca compatible clamp to your ball head. If it's a Manfrotto 492, you need a boss adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H5BSIZ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HHNIIDPH700W&coliid=I1BI3GSD4V01KK

And a small clamp:

http://www.amazon.com/Skeleton-Desmond-Lightweight-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B00EIQNBXA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EXY6CA750BTN43X1CRW

That's an interesting option. I guess if I got a good enough deal on the Manfrotto head by itself, I could go that route...

Apr 18, 2014 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.