FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2014 · Letter From Adobe Systems

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Letter From Adobe Systems

Dear Adobe Customer,

At Adobe, we’ve always been steadfast in our commitment to providing you with state-of-the-art creative tools. That’s why, effective June 1, we’re making Adobe Creative Cloud your exclusive source for all future creative licensing. This means that Adobe Creative Suite 6 will be discontinued under our TLP and CLP licensing programs. All other Adobe products available under volume licensing, like Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Presenter, will be unaffected by this change.

Rest assured, we'll work with you to help make the move to Creative Cloud smooth and without disruption to your team's projects. If you prefer, you may still buy individual copies of CS6 on adobe.com; however, the apps will not have been updated since CS6 was released two years ago.

As with any change, you're likely to have questions. For answers, contact us at 800-915-9424 or visit our resource page, which includes FAQs, a comparison of CS6 and Creative Cloud, and other useful information.
Thank you for your business, and we look forward to creating more great things together.

The Adobe Team

Apr 15, 2014 at 03:47 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Letter From Adobe Systems

Yeah, I got that one too (as did many). I translated it in real time while I read it (call me cynical) .....

"Hi, we'd really like you to think we're making things much better for you by removing even more purchasing options on our products that we'd like to get rid of so that you'll be forced in to renting your software instead of being able to buy the volume perpetual licenses you've been used to. Thank's again for being suckers".

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:09 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Letter From Adobe Systems

Yeah, I'm not quite as cynical as that, but that's pretty much what they were saying.

"Hi. We're doing this, and you're going to accept it. Why? Because. What else are you going to use?! Anyway, we have to make nice, so we're sending you a broadcast email. K thx bye!"
- Adobe

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Letter From Adobe Systems

It's called an obsolescence letter. I send them out for products I manage when that product will not be supported anymore. Adobe is just telling you what you already know...CS6 and perpetual licensing is nearing the end.

With my obsolecense letters, I always have options for the customer to advance to the supported products, which Adobe also included.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:31 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Letter From Adobe Systems

There is a huge difference between obsolescence and withdrawing support. There are millions of contented CS6 users who don't feel they are missing out by using CS6 apps. Obsolescence is when a product is no longer viable or functional. The successor of a product must surpass the older version in such a manner that it is futile to continue it's use.

CC ain't there yet ... according to several million CS6 (and older versions) users that are happy not being held hostage to monthly stipends in perpetuity.

There are far many more photographers, graphic designers and artists using perpetual licensed versions of Adobe applications than there are CC. There is a reason for that. That group will not be stampeding the gates just because Adobe has rang the bell on CS6.

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Letter From Adobe Systems

butchM wrote:
There is a huge difference between obsolescence and withdrawing support. There are millions of contented CS6 users who don't feel they are missing out by using CS6 apps. Obsolescence is when a product is no longer viable or functional. The successor of a product must surpass the older version in such a manner that it is futile to continue it's use.

CC ain't there yet ... according to several million CS6 (and older versions) users that are happy not being held hostage to monthly stipends in perpetuity.

There are far many more photographers, graphic designers and artists using perpetual licensed versions of
...Show more

Butch, just telling you like it is. I'm sure you've seen this writing on the wall. Adobe is ahead of schedule as far as CC sign up goes and this is just another piece of their pie.

And it is an obsolescence letter telling you basically future support for CS6 will die very soon. I've sent many of these out and some of them were based on marketing / product decisions to stop support for a product so that we could focus all resources on the new products. Happens all the time.

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Letter From Adobe Systems

This is also the first time I can recall that Adobe has continued to sell hard copies themselves of a product that has already been replaced. They would not be doing this if there was no call for it, and a whole lot of folks were not happy with the current situation.

No one is questioning that Adobe has the right to do whatever they want in terms of marketing, but there are and will continue to be a boatload of people who are not happy about being force into a purchasing (renting) option that they neither need nor want, and one that comes with a set of usage agreements that ought to make any corporate lawyer happier than a whore on a Saturday night.

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:49 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Letter From Adobe Systems

If I have the product in a retail box, can I still activate it later on?

EBH

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Letter From Adobe Systems

Yes, of course. You install the app as always and then activate by internet or phone. Same way you'd do with a CC app as well. There's nothing CC about the Creative Cloud except the cloud storage portion of the arrangement, which is the part you really should never use, based on their terms and conditions.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:48 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Letter From Adobe Systems

chez wrote:
I'm sure you've seen this writing on the wall.

Sure did ... Last May, when Adobe stated they would continue to offer CS6 for purchase "for the foreseeable future" I knew that policy wouldn't last very long ... that writing on the wall indicates they can only "see" about a year out before they change their minds ...

I wonder if that same distinct vision will apply to future pricing models, policies and development schedule for CC?

I never expected CS6 to be on sale forever ... but I think this is a rather informative indication of how they intend to do business in the future once all Adobe perpetual licensed software truly does become obsolete ... and not just metaphorically so ...

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Letter From Adobe Systems

chez wrote:
It's called an obsolescence letter. I send them out for products I manage when that product will not be supported anymore. Adobe is just telling you what you already know...CS6 and perpetual licensing is nearing the end.

With my obsolecense letters, I always have options for the customer to advance to the supported products, which Adobe also included.

Wki defines obsolecense thus:

Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. Obsolescence frequently occurs because a replacement has become available that has, in sum, more advantages than the inconvenience related to repurchasing the replacement. Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated.[1] Typically, obsolescence is preceded by a gradual decline in popularity.

CS6 is NOT an obsolescent product. Many users still use and want to continue using CS6 into the future, given the alternative lifetime ransomware model. So no, this is not an obsolescence letter, this is Adobe flexing its muscles to increase CC adoption.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:32 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Letter From Adobe Systems

aubsxc wrote:
CS6 is NOT an obsolescent product. Many users still use and want to continue using CS6 into the future, given the alternative lifetime ransomware model. So no, this is not an obsolescence letter, this is Adobe flexing its muscles to increase CC adoption.

Very true and I plan to continue to run CS6 until it will not run under the Mac OS. It does everything that I want and will ever need. No need for CC.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:35 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Letter From Adobe Systems

My take,

Since less and less users are seeing the need for continual upgrades thus affecting our bottom line we have decided to change our business model. Now instead of owning the rights to our software you will now be forced to make monthly payments which will in turn make us more profitable again.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Letter From Adobe Systems

My take,

Since less and less users are seeing the need for continual upgrades thus affecting our bottom line we have decided to change our business model. Now instead of owning the rights to our software you will now be forced to make monthly payments which will in turn make us more profitable again.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Letter From Adobe Systems

I'd consider it fairly obsolete when it will no longer open the files that my camera creates.

That's what happened with CS3 and my 7D files. Now I drink the CC kool-aid. I love The Cloud. The Cloud loves me.

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Letter From Adobe Systems

PLEASE, don't make this as an acceptable option.
EVERYONE knows it isn't.
It's actually sickening to read all these sheep, "yeah, it's normal, that's the way things all software is going".
I am angered and sad at all the sheep willing to let this b$ politics and corporate greed accepted.
Politics and greed is the great human retardant, we will never advance with this crap going on.
EOL, not gonna read any more b$ like this, nor this thread, so, flame away!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Letter From Adobe Systems

No company, much less one in an industry as complex as IT can continue to support more than a couple of generations back in their product line. XP was "obsolescent" even thought it was still "usable" and Microsoft simply could not continue to support it. CS6 is still usable, but it is obsolete as it will no longer be supported by Adobe. Makes sense. Now, I agree that the alternative is odious, but that does not change the fact that all software obsolesces after a generation or three.

Peace,

Todd

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM
tuthill
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Letter From Adobe Systems

buggz2k wrote:
PLEASE, don't make this as an acceptable option.
EVERYONE knows it isn't.
It's actually sickening to read all these sheep, "yeah, it's normal, that's the way things all software is going".
I am angered and sad at all the sheep willing to let this b$ politics and corporate greed accepted.
Politics and greed is the great human retardant, we will never advance with this crap going on.
EOL, not gonna read any more b$ like this, nor this thread, so, flame away!

What if I find real benefits to CC? Am I still a sheep?

If you don't wish to subscribe then fine, don't subscribe. However it's not necessary or rational to insult those of us who do subscribe.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Letter From Adobe Systems

tuthill wrote:

If you don't wish to subscribe then fine, don't subscribe. However it's not necessary or rational to insult those of us who do subscribe.

I agree. Even though I am not a fan of CC, I don't think there is any benefit in denigrating those who do seem to see a value in the model.

Complain, argue the policy on the merits ... or lack thereof ... there is no need to make it personal. Attacking subscribers will not result in a change of heart on their part, only further enhance the divide.

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:30 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Letter From Adobe Systems

tuthill wrote:

Yep...typical Adobe bashing tantrums people seem to get worked up about. Happens from time to time with the same crew chiming in. That's OK...they'll die down soon while us CC folk can start discussing the new features and how to make the most of them.

As far as obsolescence goes...that is exactly what Adobe did. Sometimes it is the company that cannot continue to support multiple products and needs to kill one or more of the existing products. I've had to do this with the products I manage. Customers always were given the obsolescence letter along with their upgrade path. Here Adobe has given you the obsolescence letter with their upgrade path. If you don't like that upgrade path...then move on. Quit your constant bitching about Adobe...get a life.

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.