1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2014 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Robin Smith wrote:
Agree: a new EF 50/2 or 1.8 IS would be the ticket, I'd probably get it. As long as it wasn't Sigma/Otus sized of course. Not that I'm unhappy with the old EF 50/1.4.

As much as I'd love to see such a lens, Canon is late to the party, and the occasionally super-busy backgrounds of the 35/2 IS have given me a bit of pause- I'd be hypercritical of a new 50 designed similarly. Further, we can be fairly certain that said Canon lens won't be as well corrected as the 50 Art; at a minimum, it'll have more vignetting, but I'd expect more CA of all varieties too. And then there's the price- such a lens from Canon would, if following the pattern of pricing for previous IS primes, would be just as expensive as the Sigma upon release- if not more.

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:39 PM
ghelton84

p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

This is going to be a great lens!

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:41 PM
ghelton84

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

I hope that they do a 24mm Art lens now!

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:41 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

This lens is having everyone go crazy. Lol.

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:42 PM
krementz
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

skasol wrote:
This lens is having everyone go crazy. Lol.

Regardless of the actual quality of this Sigma lens, this has been fabulously well-executed marketing and promotion.

No one says it is 3x more expensive than the Canon 50/1.4; nor do people rant that it is even more expensive than the Zeiss 50/1.4 T*. The gushing is that it is 1/4 the price of the Zeiss Otus, which almost nobody has (or will)!

Very, very impressive marketing. I do hope the lens holds up to the hype.

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:49 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

I think that Sigma's best marketing here is that the 50/1.4|A is following the 35/1.4|A, which they mostly let speak for itself. With that lens, Sigma became a different company, so much so that the community has come to expect more of the same, which Sigma has delivered literally with every "Global Vision" lens they've released, from their unique 120-300/2.8 OS|S to their budget crop 17-70 and 18-200 'C' lenses.

Apr 21, 2014 at 04:54 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Sounds like TDP wasn't impressed with the AF performance. "Inconsistent" was the word he used. Doesn't look like the dock is going to sort this one out either.

Disappointed.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

kezeka wrote:
Sounds like TDP wasn't impressed with the AF performance. "Inconsistent" was the word he used. Doesn't look like the dock is going to sort this one out either.

Disappointed.

I just finished reading the TDP review and I have to agree that it is disappointing. His inconsistent AF results are with current bodies and no telling what problems may surface with any new bodies. TDP seems to be substantiating Lenstip's claim of inconsistent AF.

I've not completly ruled out getting the 50A, but I need to read more user comments before committing now that I've read two reviews with similar issues.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

kezeka wrote:

Disappointed.

He also used words like:

" I was, however, pleasantly surprised that this lens delivered much better results than I expected"

" My in-focus rate is much higher with this lens than I see in my handheld manually focused images"

"Focus speed is reasonable, placing this lens in the upper-middle of lens focus speed rankings. Since slow focusing seems to be a characteristic of 50mm lenses in general (Canon and Sigma's at least), this lens is at the top of its class in this regard.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

As much as I'd love to see such a lens,

Not sure where all this info is coming from: Canon haven't even made such a lens yet. Or are you extrapolating from Sigma 35 vs 35L or something? Seems like complete speculation (even more perhaps from speculating whether they will ever produce such a lens). So the Sigma never suffers from occasional super busy backgrounds? How do you know? I do agree the price of a hypothetical 50/1.8 IS would start off about the same as the Sigma, but I'd still rather have it than this huge Sigma because it would be more useful for me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

It doesn't sound like it is just busy backgrounds - it is a holistic problem with the focusing on new canon bodies that is particularly prevalent in still subjects from the two reviews I read.

Robin Smith wrote:
Not sure where all this info is coming from: Canon haven't even made such a lens yet. Or are you extrapolating from Sigma 35 vs 35L or something? Seems like complete speculation (even more perhaps from speculating whether they will ever produce such a lens). So the Sigma never suffers from occasional super busy backgrounds? How do you know? I do agree the price of a hypothetical 50/1.8 IS would start off about the same as the Sigma, but I'd still rather have it than this huge Sigma because it would be more useful for me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

I wrote:As much as I'd love to see such a lens,

Robin Smith wrote:

A 50/1.8-2 IS has been rumored for over a year to be the next step in Canon's stabilized prime lineup.

Also, while the Sigma 50 Art does suffer from occasional slightly busy backgrounds, it's nothing as near as bad as some of the backgrounds I've seen from the 35/2 IS, which are also far worse than what I've seen with my own 24/2.8 IS. And while a hypothetical 50/1.8-2 IS would likely be smaller and lighter than the 50 Art, it would still be fairly large, and it wouldn't really be a direct competitor.

Apr 22, 2014 at 02:34 PM

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

ghelton84 wrote:
I hope that they do a 24mm Art lens now!

And this would come right up your (and my) alley:
http://photorumors.com/2014/04/22/sigma-24mm-f1-4-art-lens-coming-in-october/

Apr 23, 2014 at 02:57 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

kezeka wrote:

Disappointed.

System AF is always be constrained by an optical curvature field. The dock helps but it will take time for calibration.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

We are beginning to see 50mm Art photos around the net. While the photos I have seen are for the most part very sharp, there is a noticeable difference from the Otus. Black is black, particularly in fine detail with the Otus, while the 50 Art black is various deep shades of grey. Leafless brown tree branches against the sky are dark grey with the Art and visibly brown with Otus. Seemingly small differences but the Otus image has a distinct crispness and the Art so far seems to be, just sharp, but at a great price.

I don't think we'll see very many lamenting the price they paid for their Otus or selling it to buy the 50 Art. Having said that, I doubt anyone will be disappointed with their 50 Art either.

The Sigma Dock adjustments sounds like a fantastic innovation. Hopefully others will follow suit.

Edited on May 31, 2014 at 09:33 AM · View previous versions

May 30, 2014 at 08:26 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

I’m a portrait guy and at an age where manual focus is not a viable solution. I need a lens that nails the focus >90% of the time in sometimes difficult lighting. Both the 35A and 50A deliver fine in this regard. I’ve shot hundreds of concert photos with the 35A @ f/2 and very rarely does it miss focus. My 50A is new, but early tests show it to have a similar hit rate.

If you are photographing children running around or birds in flight, these might not be the lenses for you. But for relatively static objects, I think they work great.

May 30, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

.we'll see very many lamenting the price they paid for their Otus or selling it to buy the 50 Art

We will see. If I paid that amount of money for a 50 and decided to sell it after 6 months, I'd keep quiet too.

May 30, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

leftcoastlefty wrote:
I’m a portrait guy and at an age where manual focus is not a viable solution. I need a lens that nails the focus >90% of the time in sometimes difficult lighting. Both the 35A and 50A deliver fine in this regard. I’ve shot hundreds of concert photos with the 35A @ f/2 and very rarely does it miss focus. My 50A is new, but early tests show it to have a similar hit rate.
If you are photographing children running around or birds in flight, these might not be the lenses for you. But for relatively static objects, I
...Show more

Manual focus can easily be confirmed with quite good accuracy by activating AF as you manually focus. In any case even the best AF doesn't match Live View focusing. As for kids running around you have me there, but you can always clock the little b*stards with these heavy lenses.

May 30, 2014 at 05:59 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Vancouver47 wrote:
As for kids running around you have me there, but you can always clock the little b*stards with these heavy lenses.

Now be nice, one of them could be your grandchild...

May 30, 2014 at 07:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.