Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Mainly the focus issues with the 50L. If the sigma focuses half as good as the 35 1.4 sigma I may be sold.

johnctharp wrote:
How much do you use 50mm? Is that because of the strengths of the 50L, or it's weaknesses, or both?

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM
kezeka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Robin Smith wrote:
Leica do design to size and weight parameters, as do most makers, but I think they know that small size and traditional materials are what Leica customers are looking for, so they are very stringent. Zeiss are much less worried about this and tend to use traditional materials which means their lenses are heavy. Sigma used to be compact and light mavens, but clearly they have decided to give this up for the ART series.

Totally disagree. Not all lenses are equivalent: a telephoto is going to be bigger and heavier than a standard or wide angle. Given you
...Show more

Bring less lenses. This has almost always worked out better for me than bringing more lenses.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

kezeka wrote:
Bring less lenses. This has almost always worked out better for me than bringing more lenses.

And in the vein of this thread, if I can only take *one* lens, it'll be a 50/1.4 .

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:12 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

johnctharp wrote:
And in the vein of this thread, if I can only take *one* lens, it'll be a 50/1.4 .

In the last year I have owned or tried almost every 50mm lens available in the canon mount and been unimpressed in some crucial way with each of them. I REALLY hope that this one nails down my needs on the head for the perfect all-in-one prime for travel and street photography. Just waiting to collect data from reviews on the AF performance at this point.

Apr 20, 2014 at 02:57 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

skasol wrote:
Mainly the focus issues with the 50L. If the sigma focuses half as good as the 35 1.4 sigma I may be sold.

this struck a nerve with me.. I've owned every L lens under 300mm & even a lot of the better non-L lenses (85 1.8, 100 Macro, ef-s 17-55) at some point or other.

the 50L has produced MANY of my all time favourite images.. that said, it was easily the most frustrating lens I've ever had to deal with. over time you pick up on traits & where it can be more likely depended upon vs times where it's a crapshoot, but as a working photographer sometime's it just causes too much stress to have to worry about "do i need to do this same shot 3 times in order to make sure I got it?"

as soon as i tried out the super-reliable & very very capable 24-70mkII, I sold the 50L & gave up on the "magic" or artistry in exchange for reliability & predictability, as well as the flexibility of zoom.. I don't regret my decision one bit. (while slower & a more difficult/unnatural focal length for events, I replaced my great 50L with the more predictable 85LmkII for that same "magic")

but if another 50mm came out, with close to the same magic (so far I think the Sigma 50 Art has noticeably "worse" bokeh) and even better sharpness/reliability? yes - in a heartbeat I'd drop a grand to have a reliable option at my favourite non-tele focal length

Apr 20, 2014 at 04:58 AM
James Cripps
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Canon's 50mm f/1.2L is easily the worst lens I've ever used, all things considered. It isn't sharp, and you can't shoot an in-focus photo to save your life, at f/1.2. Completely worthless for any professional application, IMO.

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:15 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

James Cripps wrote:
Canon's 50mm f/1.2L is easily the worst lens I've ever used, all things considered. It isn't sharp, and you can't shoot an in-focus photo to save your life, at f/1.2. Completely worthless for any professional application, IMO.

You must have only ever used the best, then .

(I'll throw my 70-300 non-L as the 'worst' lens I've ever used, yet under 200mm it performs admirably)

Apr 20, 2014 at 05:50 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

James Cripps wrote:

It's nowhere near as bad as that. The problem is the cameras. My 5D3 would focus my 50L fine at f1.2 with great sharp results until I was under fluorescent light when it would backfocus but then it did the same thing to my other lenses...

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

James Cripps wrote:

It must be you then. Because a lot of people here show wide open shots that are sharp all the time.

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:43 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

James Cripps wrote:

+1 - my exact experience. You shouldn't have to develop an entirely new AF system in order to even remotely have a remotely reliable lens. I can't believe people defend this lens in light of it only f***ing working somewhat properly on the 5D3 and 1Dx.

To be honest, for all of the crap I have heard about the 35 arts low light focusing problems, it probably still focuses more accurately, precisely, and reliably than the 50L.

Apr 20, 2014 at 07:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shutterbug guy
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It must be you then. Because a lot of people here show wide open shots that are sharp all the time.

+1

Apr 20, 2014 at 07:07 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

kezeka wrote:
+1 - my exact experience. You shouldn't have to develop an entirely new AF system in order to even remotely have a remotely reliable lens. I can't believe people defend this lens in light of it only f***ing working somewhat properly on the 5D3 and 1Dx.

To be honest, for all of the crap I have heard about the 35 arts low light focusing problems, it probably still focuses more accurately, precisely, and reliably than the 50L.

It works good on my 1D3, 1Ds3, 1D4, 1DX & 100D bodies. And before that it also worked good on my 10D, 5D,1D2 & 1D2N

Apr 20, 2014 at 08:07 AM
James Cripps
• •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

I use a 1DX, 5DIII, and 5D, with the 85L and 35L every time I shoot, with fantastic and consistent results. the 50L has been nothing but problems and headaches. It doesn't focus accurately. The exact same issues are well documented all over the internet, by countless other photographers as well.

However, you're right... it must be me (in regards to the 50L). I won't argue with you about it. It's not really worth it to try to convince someone about these sorts of things. I don't own the lens now, and I'm happy without it. Conversely, you seem to be happy with yours. Awesome! (That isn't sarcasm, by the way).

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

The lens has focus shift like a few other lenses. But that's not a big problem if you understand it

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:45 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Mmm. I think Iíll stick with my 50L for now. Itís worked out well for me for 6 years now..

The sigma looks very nice but Iím with the Ďsmaller is easierí crowd these days. I donít have any real interests sports or BIF ( but I do see the attractions to others) so I donít have a need for long, big, heavy lenses.

Iím seeing that many others feel the same way about size/weight.

If I could get a 50 F2 IS that was pretty similar in build/performance/weight/size to the 35 IS I would buy it.

I sold my 35L after I got the 35 IS, maybe a light, well-built 50 would replace my heavy but well-loved 50L?

The Sigmaís size and weight negate itís marketed sharpness to me. I already have a heavy 50 that has proved itself.

Iím sure this honking lens will sell well, just not to me.

Next I would like a small FF Canon body. Iím not arsed if its OVF or EVF. I just want small, light and fully equipped. Iíve looked with interest at the A7R but itís not a system replacement. Not yet.

Apr 20, 2014 at 04:24 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Lens tip review of AF is a bit more interesting than I had hoped for:

"The autofocus performance depends strongly on the camera body. When the lens was attached to the Canon 50D and the 5D MkIII the whole set was pretty much predictable, with the number of misses reaching 6-7% which is good but also only a good result. The cooperation with the 1Ds MkIII was strange for a turn. The lens, even if positioned in a stable way in the same place before the testing chart, could oscillate for a short spells, jumping between two close focus positions several times; then it chose one of them but in a rather random way. More often than not the chosen position was correct but there were a lot of misses as well. The fact that the lens had also a pronounced front focus tendency didnít help Ė once again you could observe it only when it was attached to the 1 Ds MkIII. While cooperating with the 50D and 5D MkIII the Sigma didnít have such problems."

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:18 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

EyeBrock wrote:
Mmm. I think Iíll stick with my 50L for now. Itís worked out well for me for 6 years now..

The sigma looks very nice but Iím with the Ďsmaller is easierí crowd these days. I donít have any real interests sports or BIF ( but I do see the attractions to others) so I donít have a need for long, big, heavy lenses.

Iím seeing that many others feel the same way about size/weight.

If I could get a 50 F2 IS that was pretty similar in build/performance/weight/size to the 35 IS I would buy it.

I sold my 35L
...Show more

The 35 IS F2 is a great lens.

Apr 21, 2014 at 07:28 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

johnctharp wrote:
I think it would be for plenty of people if the Zeiss had world-class AF;

What is this world-class AF of which you speak?

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Robin Smith
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

Agree: a new EF 50/2 or 1.8 IS would be the ticket, I'd probably get it. As long as it wasn't Sigma/Otus sized of course. Not that I'm unhappy with the old EF 50/1.4.

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:19 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · TDP: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art vs Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4

RCicala wrote:
What is this world-class AF of which you speak?

world-class AF is always EVF/LV MF

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:08 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password