FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Here's my take, details can be found at the link below, as we'll as an additional (more closeup) composite:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.com/2014/04/15/41514-lunar-eclipse-over-golden-colorado/

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:46 AM
jforkner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Cool shot. I'm surprised you were able to keep the same exposure setting throughout. In my attempt I had to continually adjust the shutter speed as the moon got darker.

Also, on your linked page (second image) you indicate you used a "24-105/4L, at 16mm." How'd you do that? BTW, I like that picture, too.

Jack

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

You don't have a Bower/Rokinon -0.67x converter?

, woops, copy/paste error, thanks.

Speaking of errors, last night I was puzzled by why the moon's flare changed at right about the middle of the sequence, and indeed discovered that it's because, once I determined my exposure, I forgot to set the camera back to Manual (luckily I'd dialed in -4 EC, otherwise no one would ever have seen this image!). Exposures thus varied between 0.8 and 3.2 seconds; 2 stops variation.

In the 1DIII/24-105 image I was able to successfully navigate my camera's controls, and it was indeed set to Manual for the entire sequence, requiring significant highlight recovery when the moon was receiving direct sunlight (which I'd presumed would be necessary; it was either that or stay up all night).

Which means, to make this sequence right for a large print, I've got some more work to do…

Blog corrections made!

Thanks, Jack!

-Jeff

Apr 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Jeff wrote:
You don't have a Bower/Rokinon -0.67x converter?

, woops, copy/paste error, thanks.

Speaking of errors, last night I was puzzled by why the moon's flare changed at right about the middle of the sequence, and indeed discovered that it's because, once I determined my exposure, I forgot to set the camera back to Manual (luckily I'd dialed in -4 EC, otherwise no one would ever have seen this image!). Exposures thus varied between 0.8 and 3.2 seconds; 2 stops variation.

In the 1DIII/24-105 image I was able to successfully navigate my camera's controls, and it was indeed set to Manual for the
...Show more

Jeff,

Guess I know what my next adapter will be. BTW, does the 0.67x converter work with their 14mm lens? Maybe I could turn mine into a fisheye.

FWIW...I did the stay-up-all-night-thing---still recovering. Anyway, you did a great job. And I like the flare---it adds style.

Jack

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Coke bottle works pretty well. The MTF curves are a bit questionable, though...

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Jcarlson
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Very cool! Nice work.

Apr 17, 2014 at 01:09 PM
tleco9956

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Nice

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Cookies
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Too bad you don't have the rest of the eclipse in the sequence. Good effort though.

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Cookies wrote:
Too bad you don't have the rest of the eclipse in the sequence. Good effort though.

I got both sides in the other image; I only wanted half in this one for the composition. This was shot at 16mm, and I don't have a fisheye lens…

Apr 18, 2014 at 05:18 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Very cool! I love the sequence here, and I'm glad you didn't artificially enlarge the moon.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lunar eclipse (composite) over Golden, CO

Thanks, Ben, good to hear from you! I may not have enlarged the moon, but the WA lens sure did some weirdness with the track of Mars compared to the moon, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Jeff

Apr 21, 2014 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.