New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Mikael B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Hi,

I'm currently owning 5d2 and thinking about other cameras to get rid of focus-and-recompose method.

I was thinking if swapping 5d 2 to 6d or just buying 1d3 as second body would be better in terms of outer focus points? Are the 1d3 focus points better by being X types vs 6d vertical outer points? Would be helpful to know if 6d would be more reliable at this matter than 5d2.

And btw, 5d3 is out of budget scope .

Mikael

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:41 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

The 1DIII has excellent AF with outer cross-type AF points. I'm not too sure about the 6D - I have two of them, but I pretty much always use the centre point for AF (with focus and recompose, even on f/1.2 lenses). The real advantage the 1DIII offers is its combination of excellent AF and high fps, for action photography. The 1DIII has only half of the pixels as your 5DII and 6D. They're excellent quality pixels, but there's not much room for cropping.

Have you thought about a 1DsIII? You can get one for under $2000, on eBay in North America, but I don't know how that translates into your final costs in Finland.

OTOH, if 10 MPx is sufficient, then you can't do better than the 1DIII.

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:50 AM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

There's an active thread on the 6D outer focus points. Experience varies widely, but the consensus is the 6D's outer points wouldn't be a big (or any) improvement over a 5D mark II.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1195126

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:51 AM
elisana125

[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

I like 6D!

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Mikael B

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

I have now around 500 € to spare and maybe with a little bit of stretching I might have 1d3 that I could buy with it and still keep 5d2. If 6d focus points would be sufficient for portraits of kids at home I would consider it. Now my style is often to shoot with center 5d2 point and crop. If 1d3 would be great improvement then I could avoid cropping.

I did consider 1ds3 but it would require to let go of 5d2. Maybe 1ds3 would be too big as only camera + I'd miss video .

What about 1ds2... too old nowadays? I had 1d2 couple of years ago and really liked it but it had worse batteries than 5d2. But then I don't know if 5d2 + 1ds2 combo makes sense :-)

Mikael

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Outer focus points on 1D3 work as crosses only with fast glass (f/2.8 and faster).

Otherwise on paper they're about the same as on 6D (single orientation normal precision). However, there might be better firmware behind them.

Generally, when you get outer crosses on 1D3, they should be great, much better than outer points on 6D. Provided the AF works on that particular copy of 1D3 as advertised.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

The 6D outer points were never accurate for me with my 50mm 1.4. The center point was excellent though.

1Ds II is great for what it does - 16 excellent quality megapixels and top of the line autofocus. It's very similar in layout to the 1DII you used to have. It's just older - older menu system, older interface, small LCD, and limited ISO range are the negatives. The batteries hold a great charge, but they're older technology too.

I'd get the 1DIII if I was you. Several of the things mentioned above were improved with that camera. I think it would make a great accompanying camera to a 5D2.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM
javapop

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

I'm moving from a 1D3 to a 6D... will miss a lot; but need video and want FF.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

elisana125 wrote:
I like 6D!

Another one bites the dust!

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Mikael B wrote:
I have now around 500 € to spare and maybe with a little bit of stretching I might have 1d3 that I could buy with it and still keep 5d2. If 6d focus points would be sufficient for portraits of kids at home I would consider it. Now my style is often to shoot with center 5d2 point and crop. If 1d3 would be great improvement then I could avoid cropping.

I did consider 1ds3 but it would require to let go of 5d2. Maybe 1ds3 would be too big as only camera + I'd miss video .

What
...Show more

The 1DsII is pretty old (says the guy who just bought a 1Ds). The Mk II batteries are nowhere near as good as the Mk III (IV and X) batteries, the Mk III LCD is a lot bettter, and the Mk III higher ISO is at least one stop better than the Mk II. I never owned a 1DsII, but I had a pair of 1DII, and one each of 1DsIII, 1DIII, and 5DII. Now I'm shooting 1DX, 1DIV, and a pair of 6D.

I agree that the combination of 5DII and 1DIII is very nice. If the 1DIII doesn't live up to your expectations, you can sell it for very little loss - call it a modest rental fee.

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:46 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

I was reading the other post about 6d and in some sense it brings up my own fears of bad af. I've tried to do focus and recompose time to time on 5d2 but I do like a lot more the ability to use outer af point if possible. Would like to give 6d a chance if really is better than 5d2 on that aspect. I currently own 17-40L, 50 1.8, 100L and 70-300L. Would the outer af points on 1d3 be better with such lens lineup vs 6d?

Typically indoors I use my 50 1.8 or 100L. Would af improve on 5d2 if I'd switch 50 1.8 for canon 35 F2 IS or maybe one of the new sigma art 35/50 1.4?

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Mikael,

You can wait for two hundred more replies, or you can buy something now. It's your call.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Mikael B

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

jcolwell wrote:
Mikael,

You can wait for two hundred more replies, or you can buy something now. It's your call.

So true! I've been thinking this for months but now I have the funds for it... and "Finance Manager" approval . So at this point one more week of discussion of this subject is fine for me :-)

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

The 1D mark III has 45 AF points, 19 high precision cross types and 26 Assist AF points.

As importantly, the spread of the AF points across the frame is much better on the 1D Mark III.

The 6D, wonderful camera that it is, is not in the same class as the 1D Mark III camera when it comes to AF. Not even close.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Mikael:

Have you ever thinked about A7/A7R bodies? their AF and the help of EVF focus peaking is so easy to use. Their custom zooming and peaking AF can be handled in any sensor position regardless the effects of lens field curvature or not. If you don't need fast AF, these are the right tool for great IQ, DR and critical focusing application. Your fast lenses will have more keeper and sharper than before. Here is an untouched OOC 100% crop from A7R and 85L wide open test (shot in smallest fine JPG setup)

Cut and paste into your browser then click on image for 100% size: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/13888494355_537bcc09aa_o.jpg

I am using A7R along with my 1Ds2 and 5D2 cam. Imo, they complement each other well. I wished canon can combine them into one camera

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:05 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

mttran wrote:
Mikael:

Have you ever thinked about A7/A7R bodies? their AF and the help of EVF focus peaking is so easy to use. Their custom zooming and peaking AF can be handled in any sensor position regardless the effects of lens field curvature or not. If you don't need fast AF, these are the right tool for great IQ, DR and critical focusing application. Your fast lenses will have more keeper and sharper than before. Here is an untouched OOC 100% crop from A7R and 85L wide open test (shot in smallest fine JPG setup)

Cut and paste into your browser then click
...Show more

Doesn't sound like that would be in line with the OP budget and likely not in line with the discussion of focusing needs. The A7r is really only useful for static subjects/scenes.

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:39 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

Problem here is the budget - the A7R with Metabones adapter plus charger/batteries gets close to the price for which you can get a 5D MkIII; the 6D would be considerably cheaper. The calculation looks a bit better when you consider the A7 camera, but I am not sure if the A7 is of such big advantage here other than the much better DR. 90% of all photos I take with my A7R are done with MF - because it is much more precise and so easy to handle as mttran pointed out above. You don't need to care about AF points by using the MF mode of the A7 series. AF works, but much slower with Canon lenses than on any of the Canon cameras. The A7 series was never made as a sports/action camera for sure - it fits the bill to get most out of your good lens gear resolution-, color- and DR-wise. Mostly this is important for landscape/scenery/fine art photography. I personally also prefer it for macro work.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:27 AM
Mikael B

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

jctriguy wrote:
Doesn't sound like that would be in line with the OP budget and likely not in line with the discussion of focusing needs. The A7r is really only useful for static subjects/scenes.

Indeed, this option would sound a bit more pricier and I think I wouldn't want to use adapters for current lenses. I think 5d3 would sound ideal if it would be around 1500 € used... but it is over 2000 at the moment . But again, if 6D + 100L / 50 1.8 would give me better results with outer focus points for static portraits than 5d2 I might choose it .

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:37 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

I'm not a big fan of the 50/1.8, so from your collection, the only lens fast enough and accurate enough to benefit from the better outer AF points of the 1D3 is the 100/2.8L (it's going to seem like 130mm on the 1D3). That's not a very convincing argument, if all you are considering is the added AF benefit. For all your other lenses, you are going to need to use focus/recompose method with center AF point or manual focus. As has been noted in other replies, to get the best outer AF performance, you are going to need to upgrade your lenses to faster models.

I love the 1D3 and consider it a terrific bargain right now. But for your concerns and lens line up, I think you'd do better to get a 6D at this time. If you have the opportunity to use manual focus, the 6D has better LCD for LV, or remote viewing/release with WiFi.

After a 6D, perhaps sell the 5D2 and buy a 1D3 to go with it and start upgrading your lenses (35 IS and 85/1.8 would be a great start at reasonable price).

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:28 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1d3 vs 6d outer focuspoints

PS -- Just to stress after reading your last response: The 1D3 will be better with the 50/1.8 and 100L for outer AF points, if that is your overriding concern. No help for the other two lenses.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:31 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.