New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

strohscw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

Just got two Profoto b1 500 airTTL together with Air Remote TTL-c. I would like to use them in TTL mode and if sometimes I need a third light to use my system flash as manual addition.
Now I am wondering if there is a possibility to use my 600ex speed lite als third light, if necessary, in manually mode trigered by the Profoto light.
Does the 600ex have a mode that it can be trigered by light of non canon flashes or do I have to have additional equipment to be able to use it together?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Austria

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

I use the 600EX-RT in M mode on camera, to fire my Elinchrom D-Lite 4 strobes, using the built-in Elinchrom optical sensor. Of course, I can use any manual flash on the camera to do this.

I can take the 600EX-RT off-camera, and control it and the Elichrom units in M mode. The ST-E3 fires the 600EX-RT, and the 600EX-RT fires the Elinchrom.

I just tried a 600EX-RT on an "optical peanut" sensor, to see if I can fire the 600EX-RT + peanut with an external flash. The 600EX-RT fires once and then goes into some kind of internal confusion. You have to remove the peanut and power-cycle the 600EX-RT before it comes back to normal. I won't bother trying that again.

Cheers,
Jim

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:10 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

I just tried a 600EX-RT on an "optical peanut" sensor, to see if I can fire the 600EX-RT + peanut with an external flash. The 600EX-RT fires once and then goes into some kind of internal confusion. You have to remove the peanut and power-cycle the 600EX-RT before it comes back to normal. I won't bother trying that again.

Cheers,
Jim

This happens with older ex flashes as well. I don't think it is just a 600ex issue.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:04 AM
strohscw
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

Thanks for the answer.
The point is, that I would like to use the TTL of the profoto as main and Rim light and would like to use the speedlite to lighten up the background a bit, therefore I neet to have the Profoto Air remote TTL-c directly on the 5DIII.
It would be perfect if the 600ex would have a built in light sensor to get trigered in slave mode by the Profoto flashes.
If this is not possible is there a possibility to trigger it by cable connection between one profoto light and the speedlight?

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

strohscw wrote:
...If this is not possible is there a possibility to trigger it by cable connection between one profoto light and the speedlight?

Maybe. The 600EX-RT has a "remote release terminal", which is intended to trigger the camera shutter on an 'older' N3-compatible body. I don't have one of these cords to test. The drawing in the manual makes it look like the 600EX-RT port is a mini-phone jack.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM
slickrick

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

Im in the same boat and looking for the same answer. Any new information strohscw?

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:48 PM
slickrick

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon speedlite 600ex-rt + Studio flashes

Hi everyone, I've been looking for the answer to this question because I myself am in the same situation. I recently purchased the ProfotoB1 Kit and I was looking to use one or two of my canon 6oo EX-Rt's as rim and accent lights. As it turns out canon did not include an optical sensor into the flash that will read flash output from other sources unless it's a canon EX flash. The other alternative that I found is this slave flash trigger.

Flash Slave Trigger Hot Shoe Sync Adapter with optical sensor (for Canon)

I bought the last two from (Studiohut) on amazon but they are available overseas from this company.

http://www.jackthehat.co.uk/flash-slave-trigger-unit-canon-p-702.html

Don't forget to check out their youtube video. Did not find his intro funny at all but the video is informative.

Hope this helps and please keep me posted. I'll follow up with more info when I receive the two I ordered.

Thanks, hope this helps... Rick

Jun 30, 2014 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.