New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The riverside, Shanghai

JaneG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The riverside, Shanghai

I was visiting Shanghai on business recently

I went down to the waterfront in the mornings and on the day of my departure I was lucky enough to have just the right amount of smog, fog and sunshine. I was also fortunate that there was raised platform above the parade which enabled me to get a strip of the silver river between the parade and the backdrop of the rising towers.

The smog held the sunshine back sufficiently to impart a softness to the scene. Time was of the essence as the sun was rising rapidly into a patch of bare sky.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/JaneGoodall/IMG_6388800px250K_zps401e3c72.jpg
Jane

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 09:22 AM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 03:52 AM
Rick Waldroup

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The riverside, Shanghai

This is superb. It has a slightly surreal look to it because of the lighting conditions which you described. The soft, muted color adds an air of mystery to the scene and the composition is startling- in particular, the two lampposts which mimic the rising towers in the background. And without the human element this would have become just a really nice shot, but with the two figures, and their placement in the scene, the photograph takes on a life of it's own. This is great stuff.

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 09:35 AM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:50 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The riverside, Shanghai

Agree with Rick about the lampposts; cool photo!

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:16 AM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The riverside, Shanghai

Thanks

Yes, I was very drawn to the lampposts as a feature of the composition
I set up the composition thinking about the symmetry of the the pavement stones and the lampposts. Fitting the skyscrapers in behind was a bit tricky as the lamp posts were restricted in their positioning as I needed to keep my central position on the pavement.

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:38 PM
Orang Hutan

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The riverside, Shanghai

I couldn't agree more with Rick. Well thought out beautiful image.

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Ischgl99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The riverside, Shanghai

Great picture of Pudung, this is one of my favorite spots in Shanghai. I was on the Bund Tuesday this week, but with two small kids, no chance of getting out early enough to get something as spectacular as this. Next time we are here I will have to sneak out early and see what I have been missing.

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:46 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The riverside, Shanghai

Ischgl99 wrote:
Great picture of Pudung, this is one of my favorite spots in Shanghai. I was on the Bund Tuesday this week, but with two small kids, no chance of getting out early enough to get something as spectacular as this. Next time we are here I will have to sneak out early and see what I have been missing.

I noticed that all the photographers were stuck against the railings making images of the skyscrapers, I wanted more context and I really liked the lines of the darker pavement stones that could be used as visual cues to make strong diagonals in the foreground. Symmetry here was key to the setup.
It also helped that my hotel was only 5 minutes walk away, i kept an eye on the lighting conditions every morning, if it was really dull and overcast I didn't bother going down. My initial visits enabled me to sort out my approach and composition, I was just waiting for the right lighting and fog/smog.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The riverside, Shanghai

I feel you did a superb job for all the reasons you listed behind the shot. Great "find" and execution!

Apr 17, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The riverside, Shanghai

Jane:
This is really nice. Unlike most of us, whatever genre you choose, you make the most of it. B/W works perfectly for this one.

Richard

Apr 17, 2014 at 09:31 AM
raysnipper
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The riverside, Shanghai

Beautiful !!

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The riverside, Shanghai

Richard Booth wrote:
Jane:
This is really nice. Unlike most of us, whatever genre you choose, you make the most of it. B/W works perfectly for this one.

Richard

Thanks to all

Richard this is actually a colour image but the early morning imparted a rather limited colour palette

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM
hyding

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The riverside, Shanghai

I love this city. I have been to the exact location where you took this wonderful photo, but I have never had my own one. Hope next time I can get myself something impressive.
Thanks for your nice picture!

Apr 19, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Ischgl99
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The riverside, Shanghai

Being 5 minutes away is a nice help with getting the right conditions. Usually I am cursing the haze, but you were able to take great advantage of it and gives me some ideas of how to incorporate it next time. By the way, the day we went to the Bund, I was one of those photographers at the railing taking photos of the skyscrapers and ships. There were so many tourists that day that any other place would have been a photo of a mob of people.

Apr 19, 2014 at 05:42 PM
kaleano

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The riverside, Shanghai

Post apocalyptic with two survivors!

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.