New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

basehorhonda
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

I have recently added a x2 teleconverter, the TC-20E III to my collection of lenses to pair up with my 70-200 vr2. Normally I get tack sharp photos using just the 70-200 on its own, but since I have included the teleconverter, my photos are not near as sharp as I expected. I am not doing anything different technique wise that would be throwing my photos to not be sharp.

Does anyone have any advise for working with teleconverters. I know about needing to, and have compensated for the 2 stops I am losing by using a tele. I just am about to give up using the darn thing.

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:43 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

Which body are you using? Less MP seem to tolerate TC's better.

Here's an article worth reading on the topic:
http://photographylife.com/image-degradation-with-nikon-teleconverters

Stopping down to f8-f11 seems to be the trick.

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:09 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

VinnieJ wrote:
Which body are you using? Less MP seem to tolerate TC's better.

Here's an article worth reading on the topic:
http://photographylife.com/image-degradation-with-nikon-teleconverters

Stopping down to f8-f11 seems to be the trick.

I've experienced the opposite. More MPs tolerate TC's better, kinda how more MPs mask noise.

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:56 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

The TC20EIII is at it's best when used with the 200 f2 and the 300 f2.8. As noted above, stopping down helps with other lenses but it will never match the results of the 1.4 or 1.7.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:45 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

> I am not doing anything different technique wise

If you double the focal length then you HAVE to do something different technique wise. Doesn't matter whether you use a TC or a prime. Higher shutter speeds by a lot, better camera holding technique, etc.

A check of the finetuning would not be a bad idea either.

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:16 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

Secret to a D3 and TC's (especially the 20E III) is don't be cropping much, if any.
The 70-200 VR II plays quite well with all, but I usually stop down ~ 2/3 additional.
As Doug mentions above, it really comes into it's own on the likes of the 200 f2
and 300 f2.8's but I've had great success with the 70-200 in a pinch. Fine tuning
is a must (wide open at the long end) and tweaks in the field at working distance
not unheard of. FWIW, that combo really lights up with the D800(e)...just sayin'

Apr 15, 2014 at 07:19 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

I use mine on my 70-200mm F2.8 VRII and my 300mm F2.8 VRII.

I'd have to say at f5.6 the sharpness is very similar between the 300mm and the 70-200mm. AF fine tune is a must as I find that the value changes from bare to TC significantly.

I find stopping down both lenses and tcIII to F8 improves sharpness so that I can easily use 100% crops. Sharpness is very good and af also tracks very well in good light.

When the sun starts to go down, take the TC off or exchange it for a 1.4 or 1.7x.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

Sorry to say that although I found the TC20EIII "somewhat" acceptable on dedicated f2.8 primes IF you're shooting close and aren't cropping, it's a disappointing example of a 2x TC, especially when compared to Canon's version.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · x2 teleconverter sharpness

Maybe people are just expecting more sharpness out of this combo than I do, but I find it plenty sharp for what I do. As one goes longer in focal length though, focus becomes more critical.

These are full/100% crops on a D800.

Full Frame

100% crop

Full Frame

100% crops

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.