Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Across the Rio Grande Valley

Zane Adams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Across the Rio Grande Valley

New Mexico Style

Stitched panoramic taken above Santa Fe, summer sunset filled with smoke and dust....

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Across the Rio Grande Valley

Hi Zane,

I think there are two things that need to have been different with this shot.

1st, the sun should not be blown out like it is. Typically the eye goes to the brightest area in a scene, and in this case rather than the eye seeing a pano scene, it's seeing a blown out area in the sky. Shooting a scene where the brightness of the sun is dimmed by the clouds is a good way to deal with a bright sun. But in your case, the clouds were not thick enough. So you best bet, would have been to wait and shoot it just as the sun was dipping below the horizon. Besides dimming the sun for you, it would have given the extra benefit of having a sunstar.

2nd, the foreground is too dark. Shooting into scenes like this requires either an ND grad or layer masking to allow the ground to not turn to black. In a scene like this, it really needs detail in ground to help carry. With the sun that high in the sky, there is no way the ground was really that dark. It would have been lit up...

I hope those suggestions help, maybe you have some other shots when the sun was lower? Or you can try and use a layer mask for the ground layer, but unless you can correct that hot spot of a sun, it won't really matter.

Jim

Apr 15, 2014 at 02:04 AM
02subyrube

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Across the Rio Grande Valley

Great shot!

Apr 15, 2014 at 08:13 AM
Zane Adams
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Across the Rio Grande Valley

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. I too am not really happy with the big bright sun spot. The problem is, this is one of those moments in time...We were leaving Santa Fe, headed to the mountains and had a very limited time to stop. I pulled off on the side of the interstate entrance ramp, took a series of photos and hopped back in the car.

It looks how it looked...if you know what I mean. A wide shot of a very big landscape....not brilliant, just expressive.
Hows that?

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:13 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.