Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

Is there a particular type of image that simply looks better when printed on Canvas vs a high quality Matte paper?
Or is the only reason to print on Canvas the fact that it can be displayed without the expense of a Mat, Frame and Glass?
Thanks,
Bob

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

I too am interested. I will say that I can buy a frame and mat for the additional cost of a canvas wrap.

I don't use glass. But now I am told I need to use luster or metallic for color prints if I want the brightness I expect.

This subject of display is a major topic and the end game of our work.

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:33 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

Hey, Bob. I've had great success with environmental BIF captures
printed on canvas. 1st thing most say is "that looks like a painting"
Probably did a couple dozen 16 X 20's and 20 X 24's last year as
well as a few prints to metal. The details in the latter are amazing
and would be well suited for landscapes & portraits. Gotta agree
the 'ready to hang' aspect is attractive, I've even sold some right
out of the camera wagon. I buy when there are good sales so it's
an easy hundred or so profit when I turn one loose. HTH, Will

Apr 15, 2014 at 09:45 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

I print many of my landscape images onto canvas. Like trenchmonkey says, it gives the images a textured look that many compare to a painting. The other benefit is if you print large ( 4'x7' ) the weight savings of a stretched canvas piece compared to a framed print of the same size is enormous. There is also a huge cost difference between stretching a large canvas and properly framing the same image.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Chris Collis

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why Print on Canvas Paper?

When I choose to print on canvas it is because of how the characteristics of canvas will interact with the image. In my case the material costs are close enough between stretched canvas and traditional framing that I can focus more on what the media will do for the image.

After printing enough on canvas and other media, it becomes somewhat instinctual that an image will either work as a gallery wrap or not. The reasons will change based on what you want to use the image for and what your subject matter is, but I'll tell you mine. I shoot strictly nature, and in color. There is a great variety between birds, mammals, landscapes and macro subjects, but each subject and the way in which it is photographed create a message. The more we refine this focus on a clear message (or "tell a story" as you often hear), the more powerful photo art becomes. The idea is to continue this to the stage of printing and presentation. Think about canvas and how it differs from, say, traditional photo paper. Canvas is an absorbent type of surface. The ink absorbs into the fibers and there is a tooth on the surface of the canvas material. This absorption property and surface texture trade the ability to showcase fine image detail for a certain presentation value that people historically associate with paintings and fine art. Traditional photo paper, on the other hand, will often have coatings that keep the ink from absorbing into the paper. This enables such papers to maximize detail and often color saturation as well. But this too makes a trade to be able to do this. The presentation value of traditional gloss papers can tend to look cheap, common or not "fine-art" to some and so they look at matte or fiber based papers, going in the direction of canvas.

But each of those material characteristics should be considered with a given image. Is this an image that showcases minute detail and an impressive design in the subject? Think of the hairs of a bee, covered in pollen or the eye of an alligator. It would miss the point to print these kinds of images on canvas. I would go with a more traditional photo paper under high quality glass or even metallic paper face mounted to acrylic, going to the end of the extreme. But how about a motion blur of pelicans in morning light or silhouetted against the setting sun? These would be perfect applications to canvas for nature images. Those images have more to do with a sense or emotion, broad scene or artistic vision than the technical ability of a paper to showcase detail, color or design. There's more to it and some nuance missing here, but this is broadly how I make the decision of what to print on.

Apr 15, 2014 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.