New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

dragion
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Is this lens any good?
I researched, but couldn't find much info about it.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/pho/4420896961.html

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:52 AM
danh920
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

ive never heard of it. but honestly every macro lens ive ever come across has been super sharp when using a tripod and focusing manually.

Spring is here - for $150 I would meet the seller and give it a try

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Personally I think there are better options out there for either the same or a little more. If I remember correctly, this lens doesn't do 1:1, only 1:2?

Personally I like the idea of just spending a little money on some old Nikon MF glass to play around with macro. Good times there!

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

I have the Sigma 105 macro. Sharp and light. Are you sure that's a Sigma? IIRC, Tamron had an excellent 90MM macro.

Apr 14, 2014 at 02:09 PM
dragion
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Just saw this listed on Craigslist and wondered if it was worth buying.
I've decided to pass on this...usually comes with a filter attachment to make it 1:1.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/pho/4420896961.html
Click the link and you will see that the box does show it is made by Sigma.
This lens was made before the 105mm.

Apr 14, 2014 at 06:44 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Don't give up on this lens so easily. It's a sharp lens that renders very well. It's also unusually compact for a 90/2.8. I have the Sigma 50/2.8 macro and it's about the same size. The lifesize adapter takes the image quality down though, so consider it a 1:2 lens. Also, it normal for this lens to make a grinding noise when focusing. Btw, $150 is a very fair price for what I saw in this ad.

Test shot and corner crop:

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/90mmF28_AF/D22_4018b.jpg

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/90mmF28_AF/D22_4018_crop.jpg

A couple of real shots.

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/50mmF28_AF/DSC_0402b.jpg

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/50mmF28_AF/DSC_0428b.jpg

Edited on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

First Sigma 90 I've ever seen.

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Elan II just proved why subjective opinions (like mine was) are crap! Proof that the lens can deliver very well!
...though I still stand behind my 1:2 statement. It is nice to have a macro lens do 1:1 right?

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Mr. Clean wrote:
Elan II just proved why subjective opinions (like mine was) are crap! Proof that the lens can deliver very well!
...though I still stand behind my 1:2 statement. It is nice to have a macro lens do 1:1 right?

To answer your question, yes, it is limited to 1:2. I tried some of the tools available to me to raise the magnification: a 1.4x TC, 25mm tube, Canon 250D, Nikon 4T, the Sigma lifesize adapter, and a few others - but with this lens, none worked well. The 4T was the best, but even with it the sharpness still took a hit and there was a hint of fringing in high contrast shots.

I actually do what you recommended. I use MF macro and other lenses for most of my shots. Even this lens I bought to MF with my motorless D40 where my AI lenses won't meter, so the shots above are actually MF. But MF is not for everyone. Some people like AF even with their macro lenses.

Apr 15, 2014 at 06:03 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Okay, I'm completely sorry, but the two shots above are with the Sigma 50/2.8 macro, not 90/2.8. The test shots are with the 90/2.8. These two here are with the 90/2.8. I don't sort my pics by lens, so I have to go by memory. Didn't work this time.

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/90mmF28_AF/DSC_1724bb.jpg

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/90mmF28_AF/DSC_1710b.jpg

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:18 PM
dragion
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Thanks Elan II.

I'm still new to this game, so that is why I'm asking for help.
To me the 50mm f/2.8 is sharper and more appealing to my eye compared to the 90mm f/2.8 samples you provided.

Is it crucial to having 1:1 or will 1:2 be fine for macro?

Would you purchase this lens from the seller if you didn't already own one?

Apr 16, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

If you look at the test shots in the first post, the 90mm is a very sharp lens. I use both the 50 and the 90 extensively and view them as equally sharp.

Having lifesize (1:1) macro capability is not crucial to me. I've gone as high as 4-5x magnification with tubes and other rigs and that was nice to play with, but when I shoot insects, butterflies, flowers and other small subjects, I rarely cross the 1:2 line. I'm a DX shooter like you, so lifesize for me is 24mm, which is smaller than most interesting insects. If I was an FX shooter, I would probably be using higher magnification.

I would actually purchase this lens even if I already had one, but since I have two and Boston is far away, I'm going to leave it sitting there for you. The compact size makes this a very unique lens and a mint copy like this is rare, so I would buy it in a heartbeat. For you, I think it's a good, inexpensive way to get into macro. You can use this lens for a couple of years, then turn around and sell it for what you paid for it if you want to get a more expensive setup.

Btw, I also own the MF version of this lens and it's even more tiny.

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:09 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Here's the MF version next to the MF Tokina 80-200/2.8. This thing is roughly the size of a 28mm lens.

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/elanr/90mmF28_MF/DSC_5505b.jpg

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:17 AM
dragion
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Elan II wrote:
If you look at the test shots in the first post, the 90mm is a very sharp lens. I use both the 50 and the 90 extensively and view them as equally sharp.

Having lifesize (1:1) macro capability is not crucial to me. I've gone as high as 4-5x magnification with tubes and other rigs and that was nice to play with, but when I shoot insects, butterflies, flowers and other small subjects, I rarely cross the 1:2 line. I'm a DX shooter like you, so lifesize for me is 24mm, which is smaller than most interesting insects. If I
...Show more

Thanks again for your great advice!
I contacted the seller and he is willing to sell it for $90!

How is the build on this lens?
I know that earlier Sigma lenses had issues, due to the plastic construction & internals.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Wow, you got yourself a great deal. Nice going! The body is all metal and the build is solid. The lens weighs 12-13 ounces, but it feels well balanced even on my D40 because it's so short.

You owe us posting some pics with this lens once you get some use out of it. Most people don't even know it exists and will be curious.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:24 PM
dragion
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

Elan II wrote:
Wow, you got yourself a great deal. Nice going! The body is all metal and the build is solid. The lens weighs 12-13 ounces, but it feels well balanced even on my D40 because it's so short.

You owe us posting some pics with this lens once you get some use out of it. Most people don't even know it exists and will be curious.

I will when the weather here in Boston gets better for all the critters to come out to play and the flowers to bloom!

I'm hoping to be able to pick this up today...left message and waiting for reply back.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM
dragion
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8 AF

I am now a proud owner of the Sigma 90mm f/2.8 macro AF lens!
The seller tells me that he will try to locate the Sigma Life Size Attachment...no promises though.

I need some advice regarding how to achieve true 1:1 from this lens since it is 1:2 macro...while I wait.
I have a set of Hoya +1,+2 & +4 close up filters...would +4 filter produce 1:1 magnification?
Not sure how to go about this.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Apr 19, 2014 at 06:33 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.