New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              79       80       end

Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Wow, this thread and A7(R) image thread are IQ killer.

May 22, 2014 at 05:59 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

mttran wrote:
Wow, this thread and A7(R) image thread are IQ killer.

Honestly, I feel like I have been living under a rock, and one day after seeing a single post here on FM, I realized that foveon is VERY interesting indeed. In fact, much more interesting given that Amazon had (has?) new DP2s selling for about $580. It is great to have bayer, foveon and X-trans in my bag. Kind of like having different rolls of film in the old days...or good old days.

Also, the camera itself is very simplistic, and I find that really refreshing. When it comes down to the basics, all you need for slower, thoughtful photos (landscaped etc...) is control over ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The rest is just fluff.

May 22, 2014 at 07:04 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

So much detail. I need to dial down some of the sharpening, though.

May 23, 2014 at 01:09 AM
juju1958
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Good posts galenapass. Looks as if you are getting the best from the camera. I also often soften the image.

WILD PLANTS by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

WILD PLANTS by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

May 23, 2014 at 07:07 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Added some Gaussian blur to this one, but still looks sharp.

Juju - great close-ups. I see that you are using a DP3. Having just purchased a DP2, I am not familiar with all 3 Merrill models. Does the DP3 handle close-ups better, e.g., does it have a shorter MFD?

May 24, 2014 at 05:10 AM
juju1958
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Galenapass, DP1 20cm, Dp2 28cm, Dp3 22.6. The DP3 for me is a cut above in terms of colours , tones and clarity, but of course a short tele focal length does not always suit.

May 24, 2014 at 09:30 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

juju1958 wrote:
Galenapass, DP1 20cm, Dp2 28cm, Dp3 22.6. The DP3 for me is a cut above in terms of colours , tones and clarity, but of course a short tele focal length does not always suit.

It does for me, my most used FL is ~85mm. Prices are good, I may have to look for a DP3 as well. Now, how to convince my wife that I need to buy yet ANOTHER camera this year.

May 24, 2014 at 03:17 PM
MiguelATF

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

This question may have been asked - and answered - elsewhere - but is there a SIMPLE way to convert Foveon negatives for use in Lightroom without using Sigma's proprietary (but slow & clunky) photo processing software?

May 24, 2014 at 05:07 PM
juju1958
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

DP3M1732_5627 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

DP3M1679_5574 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

DP3M1651_5547 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

May 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

MiguelATF wrote:
This question may have been asked - and answered - elsewhere - but is there a SIMPLE way to convert Foveon negatives for use in Lightroom without using Sigma's proprietary (but slow & clunky) photo processing software?

The answer is a simple "no". I am not sure if there is a difference between Mac and PC. I use a Mac and I do not find Sigma's software to be that slow, but I also am running on an SSD with 16GB RAM.

In addition, I do not do any manipulations in Sigma PP and use it to simply convert the files to tiff, which then get manipulated in CS6. The conversion to tiff is quite fast. Overall, I am pleased with Sigma PP but probably because it only serves a very narrow function in my overall work flow. I do not use LR but it should handle tiffs?

It also does not force me to use a catalog which is great since my pictures are stored on mirrored external drives (which I can use on any number of computers) and I have multiple pieces of software that I use for RAW conversion etc... I find the whole catalog idea to be a huge PITA and avoid software that enforces this concept (i.e. Aperture).

May 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timpdx
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

galenapass wrote:
It also does not force me to use a catalog which is great since my pictures are stored on mirrored external drives (which I can use on any number of computers) and I have multiple pieces of software that I use for RAW conversion etc... I find the whole catalog idea to be a huge PITA and avoid software that enforces this concept (i.e. Aperture).

AMEN!

I do not find Sigma's software that bad for a starting point, then to tiff and photoshop. I also now use multiple converters since I shoot Fuji, too.

May 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Tiff to photoshop and also DXO, this is DXO, just seemed to get the color a hair better than PS, less color cast that showed in the whites of the water (that verdant spring green that Oregon has, this really is how it is in May, almost nuclear velvia green, not trying to overdo it)

Tanner Creek Columbia River Gorge

May 25, 2014 at 04:53 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

Nice!!! I lived in Seattle for ~15 years and have many shots like this on slide film. Looks great on digital too!

May 25, 2014 at 04:58 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

DP2

May 27, 2014 at 12:40 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

galenapass, I really like that one ^^. Composition, and notably the capturing of the details, like where the wrought iron fronts the blinds. Very cool.

f4 1/400s in open shade.

May 27, 2014 at 06:41 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

We took the kids to the peach orchard this weekend, but all my pictures turned out

...fuzzy

They turned out fuzzy. Get it? Is this thing on?

The reason I posted this is because to this point I hadn't realized that the DP3M has 7 aperture blades, which I find odd. From what I've read, the 3 is considered in several ways the best of the generation. Funny they should use only 7 blades. The DP2M on the other hand makes a point of its having 9 blades. That's one of the highlight bulleted points on BH for this camera.

I also found it cool that though out of critical focus (Auto-focused the shot), the individual hairs of the peach are very clearly rendered.

May 30, 2014 at 04:48 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

What a pit-iful joke!

Edited on May 31, 2014 at 05:42 AM · View previous versions

May 30, 2014 at 04:52 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

It's barely clinging to life really.

May 30, 2014 at 05:18 AM
isaacimage
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

juju1958 wrote:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7451/14051794601_752da2e98f_o.jpgMEVAGISSEY by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5266/14051399532_9b8be0ffcf_o.jpgMEVAGISSEY by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Stunning colours !
How much post did in this image ?

May 31, 2014 at 05:11 AM
juju1958
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Foveon Sensor Images Thread (Official?)

_P1M1800_5899 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Jun 04, 2014 at 09:25 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password