Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Sunday DIY mini projects

jasonyuen
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunday DIY mini projects

Here's 2 (really) mini projects I took on this afternoon.

Project 1:
My tripod was really cold to the touch in cold weather and it didn't have any foam grips. I went to the dollar store and picked up a couple $1.50 foam bicycle handlebar grips. Originally I dismantled each leg and tried to slip the grips on, but it was too tight a fit. Finally I had to cut a slit down one side of the grip so that it opens up and I can clamp it around the leg. I used zip ties to ensure they stay clamped.

Project 2:
I love the focusing tab on my Leica 35mm Summilux but I didn't have it on my 50mm Summilux. I took a rubber band and wrapped it around the focusing ring and zip tied it and used the latching part of the zip tie as a focusing lever. Better than nothing, but it'll have to hold out until I get a focusing tab ordered.

These 2 projects are probably really common already but thought I'd still share them for kicks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 04:18 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunday DIY mini projects

jasonyuen wrote:
Here's 2 (really) mini projects I took on this afternoon.

Project 1:
My tripod was really cold to the touch in cold weather and it didn't have any foam grips.

Ever consider wearing gloves in cold weather? They not only eliminate your DIY project but also keep your hands warm too.

Apr 14, 2014 at 05:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunday DIY mini projects

My life would fall apart if it weren't for zip ties. You can use dishwashing detergent to slip bike grips on - it's sticky when dry too.

Apr 14, 2014 at 08:32 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunday DIY mini projects

@docsmiles17 Sometimes I wish I had these warm little forcefield bubbles that keep my hand warm while letting me still use bare hands. But seriously, I usually use gloves when I'm on the move. As soon as I find a place I want to set up the tripod, I like to take them off for that extra bit of dexterity. It gives me comfort and confidence in handling my gear. Maybe I'm just clumsy with gloves though.

@Paul Mo The problem with the bike grip wasn't so much friction as it was simply not wide enough to pass over the top plastic retaining part of the tripod leg. The foam was starting to rip simply because the diameter of the leg was too big (something my girlfriend would never want to hear me say about her). Luckily handlebar grips come in packs of 2 so I had 1 to experiment with first. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with another bike handle grip that had an opening with a larger inner diameter. Honestly, whoever invented the zip tie should be awarded the Nobel peace prize as I'm sure without it, wars would be waged from the frustration of not having zip ties.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunday DIY mini projects

My project for this past weekend and a few to come is putting in a retaining wall. Oh...this is a photography forum.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM
xnavyguy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunday DIY mini projects

If the foam is too tight....try mixing some dish soap and water together....lubricate the tripod leg with that and then slide the foam grips into place. Once the water and soap dries they'll be nice and tight and stay in place.

Rather than using zip ties, you can also try using the Velcro tie wraps....they're flat, can be removed as needed and since they come in different colors they blend very well.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunday DIY mini projects

Why not use handlebar tape? Its sticky and you just wind it on.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:11 PM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunday DIY mini projects

That's an option too. I was hoping handlebar grips would slide right on and be friction fitted without hassle.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:19 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunday DIY mini projects

I got these grips on my 2-series Gitzo legs by inflating them with compressed air:

I started by getting the grip slid over the threaded end of the leg section and then holding my air compressor hose in the open end of the grip. The air slightly inflated the grip and acted as an air bearing as it blew out the other end. The grip slid into place with almost no effort.

Apr 16, 2014 at 12:25 AM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunday DIY mini projects

Excellent. I tried that as well with a can of compressed air but I couldn't keep a seal. My grips were too foamy. It might have worked better with rubber grips. That's actually the same method used when putting the handlebar grips on an actual bike handlebar. Where did you get those foam grips?

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:46 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunday DIY mini projects

I don't think canned air would have been nearly enough to expand the grips I used enough - had to use my garage compressor with fairly high pressure and volume, so a tight seal wasn't required. I bought the grips at a local bike shop, something like $9 for a pack of 4, and they're made of closed-cell butyl foam. They look identical to the grip on my Gitzo monopod, right down to the length, texture, and rounding of the edges. I can't imagine why Gitzo (or RRS) don't offer grips on their tripods, as I don't see any downside.

These look like the same ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Road-Bicycle-Grips-Piece/dp/B000AO5K42/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397626711&sr=8-5&keywords=bicycle+handlebar+grips

Apr 16, 2014 at 05:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password