Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Mike R Jackson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

http://www.bestofthetetons.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Web_MoultonBarnWithSun_Apr12.jpg

I took this image Saturday at the John Moulton barn on Mormon Row in Grand Teton National Park. As of Saturday, the road is still closed to vehicle traffic, but the road is clear enough to hike in the 3/4 mile distance. The additional half mile hike south to the TA Moulton barn is messy and more difficult.

Late in the week, I made a post on my blog about what I am calling the "missing barn photos" at that barn. The page has quite a few photos from 50 years ago and some possible explanations. Some people call the two Moulton Barns the most photographed barns in the world, so lack of images during the middle of the century is a puzzle needing solving.

Here's a link to the page:

The Missing Photos of the Moulton Barns

Someone commented on the page saying he went to the barns long ago and saw a sign saying "No Photos" on the barn. We've lived here since 1986. I don't recall ever seeing the sign, but I wasn't taking many photos there at the time.

Does anyone else remember seeing similar signs...probably in the mid to late '60s to the mid to late '70s?

There is still a lot of snow north of the JH Airport in GTNP. Spring is coming slowly up north as seen in this photo.

Mike Jackson

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:58 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Love the shot, can't help with question.

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:46 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Mike, i love your work. i grew up on the Idaho side and am 70. I only remember bits. Years ago I thought my eyes were gone and I dumped all my film. I can't recall the exact particulars that you are looking for.

Have you tried the County/State historical society?

Good luck, good shooting! Hope our paths cross. J. R.

Apr 14, 2014 at 08:01 AM
Mike R Jackson

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Hi JR Photo,
Actually, the GTNP Foundation and the JH Historical Society are watching that blog post as we speak. The Park Service and the JH Historical society both have had copies of Al Pounian's photos, but have never done anything with them or displayed them. I believe the Historical Society is now working on doing that after seeing the post and reading the comments. Through the post, Sue Ernisse has obtained email addresses of several of the surviving John Moulton family members and she is asking all of them some very interesting questions about their life on the ranch. A few of the questions relate to my question above. Maybe one of them will remember a sign on the barn, or maybe one of them will remember one of their grandparents or parents yelling at people to go away and leave them alone (understandable knowing they were still living on the property and trying to make a living).

If two or three other people remember ever actually seeing a sign on the barn or fence, it'd go a long way towards explaining why so few photos seem to exist from there. The other options I explained are also valid, I think, but any information received through Sue and from photographers can help a lot. Once the family moved off the land and turned it over to the Park Service, anyone could walk around on the property, making it easier to photograph. Now it is one of the most photographed barns in the world!

Thanks again to all posting and to all going to the site to read it. The photos supplied to me by Sue Ernisse were taken by her Father 50 years ago while they were out for summer vacation. They actually lived in one of the cabins on the farm, so Al had full access to all of the barns and cabins, plus the blessings to do so by the family. They are amazing photos, too.

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Lots of snow. I was there one June with about this much snow, but I coud park near the barn, but breaking snow for my shot was tough and the hike to the other barn was also hard (no driving) but worth the effort.

I love these barns. I was in the Tetons in 1958, but stayed at Jenny Lake and never saw the barns.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Mike R Jackson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moulton Barn in GTNP and a question about the barn

Ben, In 1958, I don't think many GTNP visitors drove to that part of the park. I wasn't there, but that's more or less what I am getting from my research right now.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.