Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

javapop

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

Any recommendations? Getting low important. Being able to switch to vertical important. Need something that breaks down and easy to stick on the side of my photo backpack for flying.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:06 AM
sssettlejr

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

If I had to redo my tripod purchase I would probably have bought a good used Manfrotto or Gitzo. I have owned a couple of cheaper tripods and it really depends on what your idea of cheap is. I used this as a travel tripod and it fit in my carry on and worked well for the most part Dolica GX600B200

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

The aluminum Manfrotto tripods are cheap and very sturdy. The legs can be spread to position very close to the ground. They are heavier than today's carbon fiber models...but if price is an issue, you need to make tradeoffs.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM
javapop

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

sssettlejr wrote:
If I had to redo my tripod purchase I would probably have bought a good used Manfrotto or Gitzo. I have owned a couple of cheaper tripods and it really depends on what your idea of cheap is. I used this as a travel tripod and it fit in my carry on and worked well for the most part Dolica GX600B200

Thanks, this may work well!

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:36 PM
xnavyguy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

You might want to keep in mind that TSA agents act differently at different airports. While some may let you carry on a tripod strapped to a camera bag, others may refuse to let you board the plane with it. If you check the TSA website, it specifically states tripods are not banned but again, it depends on the agents working at that time.

I do one of two things, for a smaller tripod, if it fits inside my carryon bag, I place it inside the bag out of site. Never had a problem with this before. For my larger gitzo, I lock it inside of my checked luggage.

While I've never had a problem at TSA, I've seen on several occasions where they wouldn't allow a tripod to be carried on a plane and turned it away. I always keep a printed copy of their website page with me when I bring it as a carryon just in case.

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:41 PM
javapop

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

xnavyguy wrote:
You might want to keep in mind that TSA agents act differently at different airports. While some may let you carry on a tripod strapped to a camera bag, others may refuse to let you board the plane with it. If you check the TSA website, it specifically states tripods are not banned but again, it depends on the agents working at that time.

I do one of two things, for a smaller tripod, if it fits inside my carryon bag, I place it inside the bag out of site. Never had a problem with this before. For my larger
...Show more

Great advise! I appreciate it!

Apr 14, 2014 at 01:59 PM
envirobob

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

I just picked up the new Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod. It's very well made and sturdy. Here's a link to BH photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969739-REG/manfrotto_mkbfra4_bh_befree_compact_travel_photo.html

May 03, 2014 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

I'd look at the Manfrotto 190 series and similar Sliks. the Pro 700 DX is too big and heavy but there are some smaller, lighter models as well, just not sure the model numbers. Be careful with some of the newer "small" tripods. Like the BeFree. They may have fixed center posts or limited leg angle options and they won't get as low as some of the older models. Also, some of the tripods can switch out the center post for a short column to allow low heights. That can reduce the usable height at full extension but full extension or fixed center posts is often a risky proposition.

May 04, 2014 at 02:26 AM
chriseu

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

I don't have firsthand experience with these, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've heard good things about the mefoto travel tripods.

http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

They have a couple of different models, and the largest of them folds up to about 16.1 in and extends to 64.2 in. It's listed weight is less than 6 lbs.

The link above is to a model that folds down to 12.6 in and and supports up to 8.8lbs. Weighs less than 3lbs.

Now, the ability to get low as Craig said, might be a problem. So that might warrant some research with these mefotos.

May 06, 2014 at 03:04 PM
chriseu

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

Haha just as I said this - looks like there's a thread where you'll find plenty of info. Mefoto is definitely being mentioned a lot in there.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1291119

May 06, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

I handled a a couple of MeFotos a while back at a local store, then again last weekend for just a moment and one seemed to have a very rickety extended center post, But I didn't have time to really check it out nor did it seems as loose the first time. Store floor models can get a lot of handling or experimenting. Right now I have an older Manfrottoe 724b - a step or two back in evolution from the current models, I think, and while not as compact when folded (nor able to get low either), I'd need to get spendy to go past the aluminum models to cf to gain much in weight reduction and/or size so not really shopping the ultracompacts much at this point.

May 07, 2014 at 01:24 AM
Noveske

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

Induro tripods are great pieces of equipment. They can get your camera really low and close to your subject, too. Recommended.

May 10, 2014 at 02:26 AM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

Cheap and sturdy are contradictory requirements.

May 10, 2014 at 04:46 AM
Gudsine

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need cheap sturdy tripod for still photography

I go to garage sales and pick up tripods for under ten bucks. At that price who cares what model it is

May 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password