Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

Pwally123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

In Canada, the NPS service is amazing.

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:54 AM
Dustoff06
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

I've used Melville three times in the last 5 years, sending lens in for repairs. Thankfully the service has been outstanding.

Apr 16, 2014 at 07:09 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

RCicala wrote:
I have to handle a lot of repairs (about 100 a week) so I can contribute.

1) Nikon has definitely improved turnaround time over the last year. For a while 30 days was pretty common, but lately it's been half of that. Canon is still faster, but the difference isn't huge anymore.

2) For 0ut of warranty repair Nikon is much more expensive - ranging from 50% to 100% higher for the same repair. Since we don't qualify for any warranty repairs as a rental house I can't comment much about the 'impact damage' warranty void thing but it seems
...Show more

In retreading your post, it seems like things are fairly equal, aside from out of warranty repairs. Any compelling reason to not stick with my Nikon gear simply because of all the atrocious stories we hear concerning repair/customer service?

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:52 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

James R wrote:
What is wrong with the camera? Usually, it is not cost effective to repair 8+ year old digital cameras.

it appears to be completely non-functional - the mirror locks up when you press the shutter

it has NEVER consistently worked correctly, even new

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:40 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

derek.fulmer wrote:
In retreading your post, it seems like things are fairly equal, aside from out of warranty repairs. Any compelling reason to not stick with my Nikon gear simply because of all the atrocious stories we hear concerning repair/customer service?

I wouldn't change over repairs. As mentioned earlier, these things go in cycles. Three years from now it may be completely different.

Apr 17, 2014 at 05:57 AM
roger1
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

I have been extremely satisfied with Nikon service since the 1970's (Nikon FM) till today (Nikon D4S). I was equally happy with Canon service when I had the 5D - one, two and three cameras.

Apr 20, 2014 at 06:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

rw11 wrote:
it appears to be completely non-functional - the mirror locks up when you press the shutter

it has NEVER consistently worked correctly, even new

You could buy a new D7100 and amaze yourself at how much of an improvement it is over the D70S. ANY camera you buy has some small chance of being defective. That's the nature of mass production.

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:22 PM
cm71td

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

I took my D800e to the L.A. office on Wilshire for a focus point adjustment. Two day turn around and all my focus points are spot on.

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:07 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

cm71td wrote:
I took my D800e to the L.A. office on Wilshire for a focus point adjustment. Two day turn around and all my focus points are spot on.

Similar experience here. Dropped my D800e on a Monday for a possible back focus problem (It did not have any left focus issues, but seemed to require -5 to -10 MFA on most of our lenses). It was ready for pick-up on Thursday. Haven't had a chance to re-test/re-calibrate with our lenses though. So cannot comment on the quality of their service just yet.

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:37 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

for fungus on a 60 mm micro lens, Nikon's price was intermediate between 2 different ind. places - the difference was minimal in any case

May 05, 2014 at 02:01 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon repair service: How bad is it?

Well I'm hoping for a good experience with Nikon Melville right now. Just sent my D3s in Friday.
I always have taken my non warranty repairs to Midwest Camera Repair here in Wyandotte, Mi. Up until this last repair I was completely satisfied with there service and turnover time.
I shipped them my D3s in September of 2013, the camera would shoot but no LCD and no files were being written to the card. They had it for two months and the last time I called to check on it, they were rude and told me not to call back and that they would contact me when it was repaired. When I did get it back after a $375.00 repair, I was getting a black frame on the first shot each time it was turned on.
I decided to live with that since it seemed fine otherwise.
Well, last week it started to do the same thing again, LCD stopped working and no images writing to card.
It was September 20, 2013 when it happened the first time, 69,356 Actuations on the shutter, now at 74,100 it has the same problem.
Midwest only gave a 30 day warranty on the original repair.

Hopefully Nikon Melville gets it right because I will no longer send anything to Midwest Camera Repair.

May 05, 2014 at 09:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.