Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Sharp 4K monitor

Gregg B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sharp 4K monitor

I'm thinking about getting this beast. Anyone has it already? Is it good for photography? How's color accuracy etc.?
I'm hearing that when an open window is left for too long on the screen of this monitor, and then moved the shadow of it (the ghosting effect) will remain for a while. Is this true?
Any info is appreciated.

Apr 13, 2014 at 07:54 PM
jasonyuen
• •
p.1 #2 · Sharp 4K monitor

I don't think 4K monitors are quite ready for prime time yet. Unless you specifically need 4k resolution for something, I would recommend going for an 1920x1200 IPS display. Dell makes many excellent displays, especially their Ultrasharp line. As long as you calibrate the display, you'll have excellent performance. If you really do need a high resolution, you can easily hook up 3 of these monitors in portrait mode for near 4k resolution (3600x1920). Their 60hz limitation might not be a problem for photography, but can become a big problem when used for gaming (arguably the best source of 4k content). Do you have a specific purpose for getting a 4k monitor or is it just because you can? If you want it because it's the bleeding edge, I really would suggest waiting for the next iteration. If you want truly exceptional contrast and money is no object, Samsung's AMOLED displays cannot be beat.

Apr 14, 2014 at 04:36 AM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.1 #3 · Sharp 4K monitor

Jason,
I'd like to have it, just like a lot of Pros I know, so that you can see on the screen more. It's 8MP as oppose to 4MP I currently have. The 36MP image will be much better rendered on such a screen. I have the current MacBook Pro with retina screen that has 5.2 MP resolution and my images look spectacular. I'd like to have more working area and the only way to achieve that with a single screen is to have it at higher resolution.
The 60Hz limitation at highest resolution is not a problem at all. What is the problem? If you check your 30" current monitor at its highest resolution it's probably running at 60Hz.
The money is the issue, of course. But Sharp or Asus (which uses the same panel) can be purchased now for less than $3K. Also, I absolutely don't care about games. I thought we are on Photography Forum

Apr 14, 2014 at 09:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sharp 4K monitor

hey, 8K is just around the corner.

Apr 19, 2014 at 01:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sharp 4K monitor

I want to get a couple of those 4K monitors (one horizontal and one vertical) to replace my printer for the most part.

EBH

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:15 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password