Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

FJR1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

There are lots of 7D bargains on the Buy and Sell forum, and I've been wondering about a purchase to complement my recently acquired 6D.

I really like the IQ of the full-frame 6D and the quality of photos taken with high ISO. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the reach of the cropped 7D, its higher fps, and its purported Servo advantage would give me better results for macro, BIF, and/or skittish/moving wildlife applications.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.--Frank

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:31 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

If you are focal length limited and are willing to accept a little noise in the sky or shadows, the 7D is the really the best option in a current body. Nearly 90% of my wildlife work is with a pair of 7D's coupled to my 300 2.8 IS w/ or w/out converters. I've published, printed and sold loads of work with this gear. I've owned a few 1Diii's and still choose to use the 7D because of the higher pixel density. Now, if I owned a 500 f4 or 200-400L w/ built in converter, I'd use my full frame bodies for wildlife... however, not only am I focal length limited, but I'm economically limited as well.

check out my website and blog for work done with the 7D... most of the wildlife on the site was taken w the crop body. http://btleventhal.com

regards,
bruce

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:46 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

7D coupled with 100-400 L is the way to go to photograph wildlife. Poor man's telescopic combo.

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

4 years ago that was the case. However, today the 70D is my preferred wildlife reach camera due to the improved sensor. The body itself is a downgrade, but good enough for practical use. Still, I'd ditch it in a second if the 7D is upgraded to a II version.

EBH

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

FJR1 wrote:
There are lots of 7D bargains on the Buy and Sell forum, and I've been wondering about a purchase to complement my recently acquired 6D.

I really like the IQ of the full-frame 6D and the quality of photos taken with high ISO. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the reach of the cropped 7D, its higher fps, and its purported Servo advantage would give me better results for macro, BIF, and/or skittish/moving wildlife applications.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.--Frank

There are arguments both ways on this sort of thing, so you'll have to weigh the pluses and minuses in your own situation.

It is useful to own more than one camera body, especially if you invest considerable time and resources in getting to locations where a camera failure would mean no photography if you don't carry a second body. Of course, buying a new body merely as a "just in case the camera I use breaks" body doesn't make a lot of economic sense if you won't use it for other photography as well. In that case, there are other backup camera options that can work, ranging from getting an inexpensive 5D ($500?) to simply carrying a high end P&S for emergencies.

If you really need to optimize high speed shooting then the 7D can do a bit better than the 6D. But you have to think about just how important this difference will actually be in your photography. For example, I've had a lot of success photographing birds in flight and some sports including bicycle racing with a 5DII. Yes, it isn't quite as quick, but the incremental difference falls considerably short of night and day. It is tricky to determine just how big the difference will be for you.

I'm not so sure that there is any significant advantage for macro shooting in getting the smaller sensor camera.

That said, the 7D is a fine camera and is attractive as prices drop.

Dan

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

I have a 7D and I admit I don't use it much, I bought it when I thought I was going to be shooting a lot of sport and then I didn't, but I have a lot of experience with the 18meg crop sensor in that body as well as other cameras.

I'd say the 7D is still a very viable option as long as you are prepared to post process as if you use selective noise removal and sharpening on RAW files the 18 meg sensor is still excellent. Good lenses are a must too.

The IQ isn't up there with the 6D on a 100% crop level but with careful PP it can still do a job IMO

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

I am a 1 series guy but I bought a 7D. It eventually got moved to the camera for use with my 100-400mm at weddings. That was about it.
However, I bought a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC lens for it and thought, man this is a very nice match. And now I got the Siggy 17-50mm f2.8 and now I find myself grabbing the 7D for all kinds of work.
These make for a really nice combo that does not break the bank.

Oh, it still gets stuck at the back of the church with the 100-400 on it!!!

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

EB-1 wrote:
4 years ago that was the case. However, today the 70D is my preferred wildlife reach camera due to the improved sensor. The body itself is a downgrade, but good enough for practical use. Still, I'd ditch it in a second if the 7D is upgraded to a II version.

EBH

I wouldn't wish the 7D's sensor on anyone- the 70D is enough of an upgrade to deal with it's 'deficiencies' IMO.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

For macro it depends. You can add extension tubes and get to the same mag with the 6D (unless you are already maxing them out and then you could of course use them with the 7D). I don't know how the 6D does for AI Servo for macro. The 7D does have an automatic hyper-AI Servo for macro (only when used with a Canon USM macro lens though). If you have a Canon macro lens with USM it's possible the 7D might AF better than the 6D (especially if it was bare lens on 7D vs with extension tubes on 6D). I just don't know what they did with the 6D AF. Some say the center point on it is the most sensitive in dim light, which might make it see well with extension tubes on

For wildlife, yeah you get a lot more reach so I'm sure it would be most helpful (for non-distance limited shots the 6D might pull in better IQ though, but it's pretty hard in many cases to be non-distance limited).

The one place I miss my 7D (sold for a 5D3) is for wildlife. I do miss the reach quite often.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

There might be a 7D2 arriving very soon though, so tough call as to whether to jump at a 7D now. The 7D2 might cost a lot more but you might really prefer it and perhaps the 7D price will fall soon too. But maybe the 7D2 doesn't come in stock until early summer or even late fall and then you missed part of or another season of peak wildlife perhaps? But then again maybe 6D is enough to hold you over?

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

johnctharp wrote:
I wouldn't wish the 7D's sensor on anyone- the 70D is enough of an upgrade to deal with it's 'deficiencies' IMO.

This makes me laugh. I think you may want to read my recent blog... tools or toys.
The 7D doesn't have the latest sensor, but it's certainly good enough.

I outline my thoughts about the 7D as a wildlife camera here: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2013/10/27/gear-the-canon-7d-our-wildlife-cameras

bruce

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

You might want to check out refurbished models, also. You just missed a terrific sale on Canon Direct. B&H often has them in their used department, refurbished by Canon. Based on my experience they generally cannot be distinguished from new.

I think it remains a very capable, albeit aging, camera within the obvious limits that have been discussed on this and other forums ad nauseam. I've had a few of them and love the ergonomics, the way the autofocus system is set up and can be changed quickly, and the pixel density (reach) when focal limited. When the light is decent and you're focal limited, the results can be stunning. Sometimes, particularly when the light is not so good, and other times for some inexplicable reason(s), the results are disappointing. I give it some latitude because of its 1.6 crop and related pixel density, so if you anticipate some control over the environment in which you're shooting, it might benefit you in the situations you articulated.

Brian M.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

It almost seems like there are 2 camps when it comes to the 7D, those that think the sensor is too noisy and those that do not. IMO it come down to personal opinion. With the 6D setting your noise performance expectations, I would be concerned that you might fall in the former camp. Perhaps rent or try some raw files to see if you like the output. I see no reason to go off reading blogs that purport to educate people on what to think, stick to the data and make a decision that works for you. IMO I sold my 7D because I did not like the files, but that is only my decision (I came from a D700) and a 7D may work just great for you. There are many fine example of photography with the 7D, as with most any camera.

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

OwlsEyes wrote:
This makes me laugh. I think you may want to read my recent blog... tools or toys.
The 7D doesn't have the latest sensor, but it's certainly good enough.

I outline my thoughts about the 7D as a wildlife camera here: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2013/10/27/gear-the-canon-7d-our-wildlife-cameras

bruce

I'm no expert on the 7D, not owning one. However, I'm baffled at hyperbole like "I wouldn't wish the 7D's sensor on anyone." While I don't doubt for a moment that there are even better sensors in the world, I'm sure it is capable of producing fine images. ;-)

Tools or toys, indeed!

Dan

(I'm in the "tools" camp. I do care about the performance of my gear, but only in the context of how it allows me to make the photographs that are my goal. I was shooting last week in Death Valley and, for the first time, my wife accompanied me. At one point we were shooting in extremely windy conditions, and after I removed my camera from the tripod a strong gust blew the tripod over. She was horrified—I think she didn't realize I had removed the camera. I picked up the tripod, noticed a few small scratches on the RRS head, made sure that everything still worked right, and said, "No problems." Well-used gear is going to look, well, used. These things are tools, not objects of art in and of themselves. :-)

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:13 PM
FJR1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

Thank you, all! Some much appreciated and outstanding insight has already been offered. Of course, now I'm debating 7D, 70D, and 7DII, although Bruce's (OwlEyes') blog certainly makes a compelling case for the 7D.

As a point of clarification, I have backup, so the second camera would serve mores as a niche tool (wildlife/macro). Thanks, again. Further comments/advice are welcomed.--Frank

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

the 7D is a great camera , I loved mine alot .

But as someone who bought into the 'crop reach' idea I have to say I like the cropped images from my 5D3 more .

by cropped images from my 5D3 i mean when i equalise the FOV with long lenses . and that goes even when Ive had to crop the 7D files as well .

Still have my 7D but it just sees no use . I really should have sold it by now

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:34 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
the 7D is a great camera , I loved mine alot .

But as someone who bought into the 'crop reach' idea I have to say I like the cropped images from my 5D3 more .

by cropped images from my 5D3 i mean when i equalise the FOV with long lenses . and that goes even when Ive had to crop the 7D files as well .

Still have my 7D but it just sees no use . I really should have sold it by now

I also have a 5DIII and have pretty strong anecdotal evidence that suggests that the 7D outperforms the 5DIII if you are trying to minimize crops while maintaining the same field of view by using converters. Specifically, in July I spent two weeks in Costa Rica shooting a mix of wildlife and landscape. On this trip, I shot exclusively with the 5Diii and used a canon 2x mark iii converter with my 300 2.8 to get to 600mm. In contrast, this March I was again in Costa Rica, and chose to pair my 300 f2.8 IS with the Canon 1.4x mark i. The equivalent focal lengths are essentially the same and the primary lens was exactly the same. The 7D w/ the old 1.4x focused faster and produced as sharp if not sharper images than the 5Diii w/ the 2x. The 7D only betrayed itself whenever I needed to shoot at iso 800 or higher. On these occasions, the 5Diii seemed to better the 7D for its final output.

In my opinion, my primary statement continues to hold true. If you are focal length limited and you are looking for a capable camera, the 7D has a great mix of features and resolution. If you are looking for better dynamic range or noise free images, then this (and most other Canon bodies) may not be your best choice.

Personally, I like the 7D... your mileage may vary.
bruce

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

For sure the 7D or other 18+ MP Canon bodies provide more effective reach.

Have you tried the 70D though?

EBH

Apr 13, 2014 at 02:14 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

EB-1 wrote:
For sure the 7D or other 18+ MP Canon bodies provide more effective reach.

Have you tried the 70D though?

EBH

I haven't tried the 70D, and I am sure that the sensor is improved when compared to the older 7D sensor.
It wasn't your comment that initiated my follow up, but the statement that "I wouldn't wish the 7D's sensor on anyone." I find comments like this to be extreme and the type that implies something that just is not true.

I am not interested in the 70D because of its build. The flip out screen is something that I would break... I know myself. In addition, I am interested in the faster frame rate, 100% viewfinder, cf cards and the more sturdy build. I've also been using this body since its introduction, so I'm really comfortable with its buttons, dials and af control. At this point, I'll stick with my 7D's until I either get a longer lens, in which case I'll use my 5Diii or Canon offers another pro (pseudo pro) crop body.

regardless, both cameras seem very capable of the op's needs.
regards,
bruce

Apr 13, 2014 at 02:37 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D as second body for macro/wildlife?

In good light the 7d is an excellent camera. I just sold mine yesterday and I'm already missing it. To me that's what photography is all about anyway, looking for that awesome light to compose your shots in.

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.