Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · couple of flower shots

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · couple of flower shots

from last spring, still bare here now

(prophotorgb gamut warning - these require a color-managed browser, the second one really almost needs a wide gamut monitor too, if you have color-managed browser it will still show sort of OK even if you don't but, well sRGB just clips in ways that are hard to imagine if you don't have a wide gamut monitor, it looks a bit dull and slightly washed out and somewhat the wrong shade with less detail in sRGB, in wide gamut it just pops like mad with deeply intense saturated dark shades; if you do flower photography at all and always wondered whether wide gamut monitor might make a difference or not, well for flowers, yes beyond yes)

5D3+100L+f/3.2:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7259/13813490395_f03a15b1f5_b.jpg

5D3+135L+f/2.2:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/13813819604_2d7e9aee9a_b.jpg

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · couple of flower shots

Nice set SkiB. Nice vivid color in the iris.

Apr 13, 2014 at 07:44 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · couple of flower shots

These are very nice. The colors look rich and vivid on my monitor (wide gamut).
Is there a special reason why you are posting these in ProPhoto RGB color space?
Wouldn't sRGB do the job? That would also take care of the need of a color managed browser. Just curious
Socrate

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:38 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · couple of flower shots

Lovely shots.

Birdie

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:43 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · couple of flower shots

Shasoc wrote:
These are very nice. The colors look rich and vivid on my monitor (wide gamut).
Is there a special reason why you are posting these in ProPhoto RGB color space?
Wouldn't sRGB do the job? That would also take care of the need of a color managed browser. Just curious
Socrate

thanks!

sRGB clips the colors on both and as I said, it really clips them badly on the second one, all the super saturated dark pink/purples don't appear in sRGB mode and the flower mostly has the shade of the outer brighter parts through and through

even AdobeRGB clipped away on both (most of the few extra colors beyond sRGB in the first one are not in AdobeRGB either and most of the many extra colors in the second one are clipped by AdobeRGB too)

the first one still looks decent in sRGB, not too far off, the second I guess looks ok, but it's a pretty far cry from how it should really look so why not post in wide gamut and give those with wide gamut monitors the chance to see it as it should be seen? now that chrome,firefox,safari,IE can manage wide gamut images for sRGB monitor users it seemed reasonably safe enough (IE doesn't map to the monitor though, the others do, but it will translate anything into sRGB although it might not remap the tone curve, it doesn't map sRGB images to the monitor either anyway)

(anyway, people should really be using color-managed browsers for serious photo viewing these days anyway, even for sRGB, the non-managed ones will get things wrong with most monitors and with any recent version of almost any desktop browser handling at least enough to make the display no worse than for sRGB images, I figure it's time to start worrying less about using wide gamut images for posting; I still often post some sRGB versions too but I didn't upload these to Zenfolio yet so I didn't have sRGB only versions of these online and as I said with so many options out there now that can handle wider gamut postings the same as sRGB it didn't seem like it should be too much of a worry now, even Chrome handles it now; for tablet users it's bad of course, not sure about for linux users)

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · couple of flower shots

skibum5 wrote:
thanks!

sRGB clips the colors on both and as I said, it really clips them badly on the second one, all the super saturated dark pink/purples don't appear in sRGB mode and the flower mostly has the shade of the outer brighter parts through and through

even AdobeRGB clipped away on both (most of the few extra colors beyond sRGB in the first one are not in AdobeRGB either and most of the many extra colors in the second one are clipped by AdobeRGB too)

the first one still looks decent in sRGB, not too far off, the second I guess looks ok,
...Show more

Thanks for the explanation, Skibum5
Socrate

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:47 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · couple of flower shots

a couple of beauties Larry

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · couple of flower shots

The colors is really pop.

Apr 13, 2014 at 05:42 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · couple of flower shots

These look good on my monitor ~ Ron

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:20 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · couple of flower shots

The first is my pick

Morris

Apr 14, 2014 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.