New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Internal Infrared Filters

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Internal Infrared Filters

I'm wondering if anyone has changed out their DSLR cameras with an internal Infrared filter yet and if they did, what filter did they use, what company did they use, and what has been their experience?

I recently got a Canon 6D so I no longer have so much use for my old Rebel. I'm thinking about having my Rebel's sensor's filter changed out to an infrared filter. I know that one of the companies that does this advertises a lot on this website, but there are other companies that does this a lot also. And there are a lot of different types of filters to chose from.

I'd be interested to hear how many people have done this and what has been their experiences. I really like intense black and white, especially around storm clouds and dark clear skies. I've been waiting to reach 25 replies so I can start posting some of my non-infrared attempts at faking infrared photos and hear what you all think. I've always used polarizer filters, but I think an internal IR would take it far beyond the next step and better yet, adding exotic colors to that B&W would be even more exotic.

If you have tried it, please let me know who did the switch-out, which filter you switched to, and how you liked the results. Also, I've been trying to figure out with the B&W IR filters, can you add color? Thanks!

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:04 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Internal Infrared Filters

I had a guy named Hap Griffin mount a baader filter in my rebel XS. I use it for astrophotography. It allows a little more of the red spectrum through, but is not a full IR. Makes a pretty big difference on some targets in the night sky. And you can actually white balance it such that you can use it for terrestrial photography, although the colors do shift of course.

He did a fine job and his turn around was as advertised. Google his name and you'll find his website.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Internal Infrared Filters

I've used MaxMax for the conversions of my 10D and then 5DII ... both used the 830nm filter. I've been very happy with their work.

http://unusuallyclever.com/Projects/Morris%20Arboretum/morrispano2_20110508.jpg

Apr 13, 2014 at 06:23 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Internal Infrared Filters

I purchased two years ago a refurbished 5D MkII body and had it converted at MaxMax.com for infrared with a 715 nm cutoff filter. Excellent results, I am using my IR-converted camera very often.

Before I had this camera converted to IR, I used my old Rebel XT with Hoya R72 (720 nm cutoff) to take IR photos. The 5D MkII has a too severe IR-blocking filter array, so I had to rely on very long exposure times with some undesired light leaking in which destroyed the good looking IR effect. The Rebel XT as older DSLR has a less strong infrared blocking filter which made it easier to use it with the Hoya filter. For false colors, you need a cutoff below 820 nm - with 715 (or 720) nm you get some red/blue false colors. Professional conversion companies offer cutoff filters which even let more light in to mix with IR. This leads to very colorful false color images by giving up a bit on resolution (the broader the wave length spectrum, the lower the resolved detail in IR). 820 nm as mentioned above leads to the best resolution in IR, but you can only convert the files into B&W since no regular light can pass through (no false colors possible). Another option is to have your camera converted to a full spectrum camera which also permits to use it with UV light. Disadvantage here is that you always need a filter on your lens to adjust for the wavelength spectrum which you want to record.

I am personally not a big fan of the oversaturated and unreal looking false color IR photos with some exemptions. Most of the time I convert the RAW files from my IR-converted camera into B&W photos. With my filter cutoff at 715 nm, I could in addition use a 820 nm filter on top of my lens to achieve the same effect as having the conversion done with 820 nm cutoff. I would only add an additional filter glass element on top of the lens which potentially could decrease a bit the IQ.

Apr 13, 2014 at 06:39 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Internal Infrared Filters

I want a IR camera too - but could not decide which filter I would like.
Furthermore 5 years ago I had only two DSLR cameras and need the second cameras as backup.

So I invented an interchangeable DSLR filter system for infrared photography. So I could use my EOS Rebel XT with Hoya R72, BW092, the original Canon IR-cut filter, 1000X ND filter, clear filter for IR and visible, and other filters. All with bright viewfinder :-)
For me this was the best way :-)

I love the Hoya R72 filter most!

Apr 20, 2014 at 03:41 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Internal Infrared Filters

ZoneV wrote:
I want a IR camera too - but could not decide which filter I would like.
Furthermore 5 years ago I had only two DSLR cameras and need the second cameras as backup.

So I invented an interchangeable DSLR filter system for infrared photography. So I could use my EOS Rebel XT with Hoya R72, BW092, the original Canon IR-cut filter, 1000X ND filter, clear filter for IR and visible, and other filters. All with bright viewfinder :-)
For me this was the best way :-)

I love the Hoya R72 filter most!

Good job done in modifying/converting the camera on your own, but this is by far not a simple procedure for everybody to do. So pretty much you made your DSLR into a full spectrum camera with the option to add filters of your choice into the chamber to get a distinct light spectrum. To me it sounds a bit like a tedious process to place the specific filter glass in front of the shutter each time when you want to change the filter depending on the sort of photos you want to take. I still believe it is easier to get your camera converted to full spectrum and to attach a specific filter on top of your lens. You won't harm anything in your sensor array then. But I agree that such process is more expensive (camera conversion and purchase of filters) than in your example.

Apr 20, 2014 at 09:08 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Internal Infrared Filters

retrofocus, I can change the filter in one or two minutes.
With your sugessted way the viewfinder gets dark with dark IR filters.
With my way I have a bright viewfinder - this is a better basis to work handheld.
But I agree that my way is at the moment not for the faint hearted ;-)
It is not easy, and not perfect.
But I would be easy for a company to make such filters in a kind of small box which could be installed without much knowledge.

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:36 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Internal Infrared Filters

ZoneV wrote:
retrofocus, I can change the filter in one or two minutes.
With your sugessted way the viewfinder gets dark with dark IR filters.
With my way I have a bright viewfinder - this is a better basis to work handheld.
But I agree that my way is at the moment not for the faint hearted ;-)
It is not easy, and not perfect.
But I would be easy for a company to make such filters in a kind of small box which could be installed without much knowledge.

Correct, your method allows a bright viewfinder image. How does it affect the AF? I know when I had my camera converted that the AF was re-adjusted to the 715 nm cutoff filter in front of the sensor (I believe a 50 mm lens was used for this calibration).

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:09 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Internal Infrared Filters

I have no AF on this camera and on my main work camera.
Those normal AF readjustmends seem to work only for on efocal length and lens really exact. It seems it is reccomended to stop down quite a bit.
As far as I know no company changes the filters for the AF module - and so differnet lens correction for IR is never really corrected.

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:32 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Internal Infrared Filters

ZoneV wrote:
I have no AF on this camera and on my main work camera.
Those normal AF readjustmends seem to work only for on efocal length and lens really exact. It seems it is reccomended to stop down quite a bit.
As far as I know no company changes the filters for the AF module - and so differnet lens correction for IR is never really corrected.

When you replace the ICF/AA filter arry on a DSLR with an IR cutoff filter, the AF system in the camera has to be re-calibrated. The AF module itself is not affected. On my convetrted 5D MkII I can use reliably AF with all my lenses after using FocalPro for microfocus adjustment in IR. In LiveView it works obviously, too. Stepping down lenses is not recommended in IR if not absolutely needed. For landscapes I normally avoid going smaller than f/11.

Apr 21, 2014 at 03:46 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Internal Infrared Filters

Liveview AF is no problem.
Normal AF with a camera without liveview is much harder - and optimized for one lens. You can probably adjust this a bit more for other lenses, but this depends on luck as far as I understand (I donīt care about AF).

http://www.lifepixel.com/focus-calibration-options
They reach f/2.8 accuracy - so no stopping down for slower lenses, but for faster lenses stopping down is needed.

Apr 22, 2014 at 03:40 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Internal Infrared Filters

ZoneV wrote:
Liveview AF is no problem.
Normal AF with a camera without liveview is much harder - and optimized for one lens. You can probably adjust this a bit more for other lenses, but this depends on luck as far as I understand (I donīt care about AF).

http://www.lifepixel.com/focus-calibration-options
They reach f/2.8 accuracy - so no stopping down for slower lenses, but for faster lenses stopping down is needed.

Even if the camera is only re-calibrated for AF with one prime lens (50 mm lens), you can still use other lenses nicely at their fastest f-stop. I have no trouble using my 50/1.2 lens at f/1.2 with AF after I microfocus-adjusted the lens on my IR-converted camera body. Same is true for other fast lenses for example my 35/1.4 and 135/2.

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:27 PM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Internal Infrared Filters

His XT doesn't have AFMA capability.

But for newer cameras it seems like you've found a good solution.

-Brian

Apr 22, 2014 at 05:59 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Internal Infrared Filters

bbasiaga wrote:
His XT doesn't have AFMA capability.

But for newer cameras it seems like you've found a good solution.

-Brian

Absolutely correct!

Apr 22, 2014 at 07:29 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Internal Infrared Filters

those edges looks pretty rough. I did something similar but the scratch/dig killed the image quality, and the sun spots where bad.
I went with a 40D and sent it to lifepixel and had it converted to the super blue
I REALLY like the super blue as it allows both cool natural sky blue IR images and a Lot of B+W options in PS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slvrscoobie/sets/72157639819657463/ <- some of my pics from Glacier with Super blue

Apr 24, 2014 at 08:37 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Internal Infrared Filters

kodakeos wrote:
those edges looks pretty rough. I did something similar but the scratch/dig killed the image quality, and the sun spots where bad.
I went with a 40D and sent it to lifepixel and had it converted to the super blue
I REALLY like the super blue as it allows both cool natural sky blue IR images and a Lot of B+W options in PS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slvrscoobie/sets/72157639819657463/ <- some of my pics from Glacier with Super blue

Those look great. It's cool to see digital IR that mimics film IR.

I didn't know there was such a conversion that passed UV as well as IR without being full spectrum. I may have to get another camera converted now, ha.

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:17 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Internal Infrared Filters

kodakeos wrote:
those edges looks pretty rough. I did something similar but the scratch/dig killed the image quality, and the sun spots where bad. ..

The edges are rough - but because I have the filter in more distance in front of the shutter the defects are less visible.

Clear filter - IR + Visible
http://4photos.de/camera-diy/EOS350D-ExF_with_UV-filter.jpg

Hoya R72
http://4photos.de/galerie/Infrarot/slides/Infrarotfoto.jpg

I think B&W 093
http://4photos.de/galerie/Infrarot/slides/_MG_4515.jpg

All with the same camera, with bright optical viewfinder.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Internal Infrared Filters

I had Gary Honis atromodify a canon rebel for me. He did a great job and has various filter replacement options.
I actually bought the camera on ebay and had it shipped straight to him.

http://dslrmodifications.com/

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:07 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Internal Infrared Filters

I've just "acquired" an ex-military 20D that is supposedly IR modified (it certainly takes very funny pictures in daylight. I bought a 720nm filter but I still can't get decent images - presumably I need to adjust the white balance. Does anyone know a good (and simple) website to lead me through it?
Niall

Apr 26, 2014 at 09:49 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Internal Infrared Filters

You can preset a white balance
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/CUSTOMWB.HTM

Or take your image and adjust the individual color channels in post
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/DIGTECHS.HTM

Or buy a color correcting filter to screw onto your lens

Apr 26, 2014 at 06:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.