p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple more portraits

Couple more.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple more portraits

I think I like #6 the most.

#1 and #3 have a greenish tint to them on my monitor, especially the left side of the images around the hair highlights.
Not sure what you are going for in #1, but it seems the focus was on the rings rather than the face, and I find that distracting.

#2 looks very well done.

#5 - 1/8s ?? Shutter speed intentionally that low? Definitely seems to be causing some motion blur.

I like the brighter face of #6 over #7. Nice color vs BW processing.

Take that for what's it worth. I've been trying to get better at portraits as well.

Apr 12, 2014 at 01:47 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple more portraits

I like the first three the best. The first one seems to have plenty of light but I don't see any catchlights. (Big softbox?) The second one is nearly perfect (But I like this kind of portrait) I would just get rid of the straps on the shoulders. The third one is lit well, but I would like it more if the catchlights were a little larger, and were not completely inside the pupil.
Four and five are nice but I wonder if they might look better at a smaller aperture. (not sure??)
Six and seven are nice but I don't think the selective color does anything for the composition.
The style, colors and poses are all really nice. A strong set of photos and three beautiful models.
FWIW
Greg

Apr 12, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple more portraits

Thank you John, and Greg, for the detailed thoughts. They were quite helpful. Often, I get consumed with one particular aspect of the image and then the other obvious issues escape me. I see the green tint as well - shall go back and fix it.

1. The focus is indeed on the rings (by accident). I was shooting with a remote and oddly enough the one where I missed focus came out the best in terms of being sharp and color. There was one light but it was a wee bit far away. Only way I can explain the lack of catchlights.

5. I was looking forward to this one but I was trying to see how far I could push the iso without getting motion blur. On the camera lcd it seemed ok but once I got them on the computer, I saw the issue.

6, 7 - I couldn't find a way to make them stand out and thought the partial color might do it but I see now that it might infact be detrimental. The light was not flattering to her skin in color so I tried to deal with it by a B/W conversion. Might go back to the drawing board on that one.

Apr 13, 2014 at 04:03 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple more portraits

Some PP for the Ladies.

Apr 14, 2014 at 04:22 AM
gbunton

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couple more portraits

There is a ton you'll need to learn about lighting.. you might want to refine your concepts before you pick up your camera. Please don't view this as harsh criticism. It's only offered to help you improve. An example would be shot 2. The biggest problem I see isn't photographic, it's her lipstick. It's so overdone and doesn't work with the rest of the image. Example if she choose a color slightly lighter in tone like the pinkish lavander in her blouse, it would pull the image together better. Get rid of the green stone it's distracting. Well I'll stop there. Maybe lighting another time. I hope i didn't offend you.

Gary

Apr 15, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Couple more portraits

Gary, thanks for your suggestions. No offense taken whatsoever. I wouldn't learn if everyone said the images were great. If you find yourself with time to spare, I'd love the lesson in lighting as well.

Apr 15, 2014 at 05:02 PM
Troyryan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Couple more portraits

Love the second one!

Apr 23, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Frank I

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Couple more portraits

second one is excellent

Apr 26, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Couple more portraits

Thank you gents.

Apr 26, 2014 at 05:01 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Couple more portraits

For 6 & 7 I personally think it would look better without the selective coloring. Also, her eyes "pop" a tad too much for my taste. Overall though, very well composed shots.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:23 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.