New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

I went out today to use my Sony A7 with Zeiss lenses via the Metabones Nikon G to E adapter and I discovered that the tripod foot on the adapter is too small for the RRS Lever clamp. It simply slides right out after being clamped in. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

you just learned that not all companies make things with exacting tolerances. RRS does.

Apr 12, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

sjms wrote:
you just learned that not all companies make things with exacting tolerances. RRS does.

Yes, this is disappointing. Spring is here and I have some locations planned for dogwoods and redbuds blooming. I hope I can work this out in the next week. I did order a RRS L Plate but with the adapter and a Zeiss lens on top of that, I prefer the mount on the adapter to reduce the stress on the mount. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2014 at 02:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

RRS makes a fine normal clamp that replaces the problematic lever clamp.

EBH

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

the RRS lever clamp is not the problem its the plate makers and their lack of consistency. all mine work fine with all the plates i have. there are a few companies that maintain more precise tolerances.

but are right on one part of the statement, RRS does make a fine screw type clamp too and the screw type is the original design and almost anything will fit it.

i also find it "interesting" that a simple small camera strap maker in Oregon can produce a polymer/composite AS type plate that is simply precise vs all that machined metal that's all over the place in fit. it fits the LL w/o issue too.

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

I think I am going to call RRS and discuss options. I read on dpreview that I may be able to replace the foot on the adapter with a small RRS plate. Pain either way though. Thx

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:34 PM
MIRANDA1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Metabones Tripod Foot Too Small for RRS Lever Clamp

Patrick Cox wrote:
To help others than might run into this same issue, I called RRS and they recommended this plate...

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2251/.f

I will make a final post when I receive it.

I have been using this plate with the metabones adapter and it works very well, it also raises the height of the foot which allows the use of thick barrelled lenses lick the 85 1.2 or vertical shifting with the 24 TSE.

Apr 22, 2014 at 03:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.