FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Javier Crespin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Hello all

Can you please tell me how you feel after shooting a ceremony/wedding function? I am exhausted and very sore. Is this normal? I am an active shooter-standing on chairs, laying down crouching etc.

Secondly how do you light the stage when doing family photos after the ceremony (forget the technical names for those shots)? Strobes? Umbrellas? Hand held? assistants? I cant get these shots right, any help would be appreciated.

JavierCrespin
https://www.facebook.com/CrespinPhotography?ref=hl

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 09:34 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:41 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Im definitely sore after every wedding. Either I need to work out more or i'm over exerting myself.

If you are doing indoor family formals/portraits and the lighting is not deal (it hardly ever is) then you will need to use off camera flash and balance that with the ambient lighting in your area. Sometimes that may mean gelling your flashes/strobes with gels to color match your off camera flash/strobes with the ambient lighting got a better color match.

As far a which modifiers to use, that is all up to your tastes. some people use hard light which is no modifiers and they either direct flash at angles or they bounce using walls if they are white enough or low enough.

others use umbrellas, softboxes etc either evenly on both sides of your group or from one side at 45 degrees up and over.

It really all depends on your style and how you want things lit.

The best thing to do is start off simple and once you nail down the simple easy lighting then move on to more dramatic lighting and experiment to find something that suits what your style/vision is.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

I usually feel pretty good after a wedding. The lower back might be a little tight, but that's about it. Comfortable shoes are a must, as is finding the best way (for you) to carry your camera(s) and lenses. I find that working out 4-5 days per week is a tremendous help as well (all bets are off during the holidays though, when going to the gym gets replaced with eating cookies). This is a very physical job and it can really beat you up if you're not prepared.

As for church lighting, this is a very helpful thread -
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1241769

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Javier Crespin wrote:
Can you please tell me how you feel after shooting a ceremony/wedding function?

Wore out mentally and physically. Often a bit depressed, thinking the shoot didn't go well and the photos sucked. Used to get drunk a lot that night, celebrating that I made it through.

The day after: back sore, legs feel like lead, feet swollen, mentally try to think of anything EXCEPT weddings and photography, no motivation to look at the photos that were taken.

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:09 AM
vinmunoz
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

exhausted but rewarding.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:27 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Get comfortable shoes. Don't skimp. Even when you find one's that fit well go the extra mile and get some cushy insoles.

Exercise regularly. Stregnth training and cardio. You don't need to compete for the olympics or even join a gym. But some free weights and a mat paired with a range of exercises can greatly improve your strength and endurance. A jump rope will help with cardio and burns more calories than running.

Lighten your camera bag. Carry what you need in your camera bag, carry what you want/backups in a rolling bag.

For simple formals/studios buy a light meter. It helps speed the process of adjusting your lighting for proper ratios. For positioning, the cheap and easy way is high and angled down on each side. The photo you posted shows a pretty significant difference in white balance. You need to gel your flash. Buy a sheet of CTO (color temperature orange) gel and stick them over your lights.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:43 AM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

This is a better representation of the trouble Im having:

Good morning and thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to know that it is normal to be fatigued but I will definitely "train" for the next event I shoot. Such good info here, here is what else I learned.

-Shoes shoes shoes
-2 umbrellas are preferable but not the only option
-Gels in the camera bag are a must as well as a light meter (something new to learn-which is awesome)
-you are awesome for helping me

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:31 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

I would ditch the on camera flash.

I second shot 50+ weddings with on camera flash with underwhelming results.

In the beginning, I could understand the reasoning. There just seems to be so little time. There were sooooo many poses that seem excessive at times.

For the few Craigslist brides that hired me, a tripod and dragging the shutter helped. Add speedlights and umbrellas off camera. It greatly improved my results. It didn't take any longer, but maybe it was because I cut it down to the basic groups.

Then, before I quit wedding totally, I had the opportunity to shoot with a great pro that is primarily a beauty queen/model photog. He spared no effort and brought some heavy duty lighting. Set up prior to the side of the church prior to the ceremony, it was moved in the formals. Can't remember if he used them to aid in the procession etc...

Maybe it's because he only does a few weddings. Additionally, his wife is a phenom assistant who knew his every thought. They were efficient. This was something they did daily so it wasn't a big deal. Again, there wasn't any noticeable time crunch. They rocked!

With planning, consistent repetition, and an able assistant, I bet you find a happy median and see a great improvement if you moved off camera.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

For the record I never use on camera flash (anymore) - these were shot hand held. Left hand arm fully extended, angled down with a cord. Camera in right hand. I probably look like a monkey doing that but its time to get a good tripod for the camera and use my cheap tripods for off camera remote flashes and drag the shutter as you recommended.

Apr 12, 2014 at 01:19 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Oh thats what they are called! ---- Formals. Always forget.

Apr 12, 2014 at 01:22 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

I do calisthenics about 4-5 times a week and watch my diet. Better body = better mind = better shape to hold heavier gear for longer times + think quicker. That and if you're stronger, a 70-200 handheld is just easier to balance steadily if you're stronger rather than weaker.

I did a 4-5 hour runway yesterday (testing a 200/2 on one body and using my 70-200/2.8 on another), and didn't bring a monopod. Barely sore, and played ball today as well. That's what happens when you are in shape.

It looks like:
- You need to check your WB. Can use a light meter, grey card, or color card (or a combination). That or gel your lights. I see lots of wood. So CTO/straw or half straw and set color balance. Some locations are too large to overpower with flash (you'll have subjects lit well, but background will be different color temperature: which is why pros use gels)
- For weddings, you need an OCF. At the very least, a bracketed flash. And if serious and shooting groups, a synced OCF or two through or bounced off an umbrella

That's my two cents.

Good luck!

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:58 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

D. Diggler wrote:
Wore out mentally and physically. Often a bit depressed, thinking the shoot didn't go well and the photos sucked.

Okay, now we know you are a close relative to form.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

friscoron wrote:
Often a bit depressed, thinking the shoot didn't go well and the photos sucked.

Okay, now we know you are a close relative to form.

In the past, I think other people here have said they often feel, right after the shoot, that the pictures were nothing special.

Apr 13, 2014 at 01:35 AM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

D. Diggler wrote:

In the past, I think other people here have said they often feel, right after the shoot, that the pictures were nothing special.

Oh yes-very common.

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:11 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

It appears to me that your flash is under-powered or you are not correctly balancing flash to ambient. On formals like these, you don't have to make the shot look like it was taken with ambient light. It can be a good thing to have the subjects more brightly lit than the background, although you normally don't want the background so dark that you get a cave effect either. Both of your posted images could use more light on the subjects and/or less on the background but particularly #2.

Gelling the flash can be helpful in some circumstances but #2 appears to me to have a global magenta tint so I don't think that mixed lighting is necessarily the worst problem in these images.

I would forget a light meter for now. IMO the last thing you need to be doing is futzing around with a light meter, particularly during a wedding. You need practice and probably further study of lighting. Paying attention to your subjects, including aspects of posing and direction, would also be areas for improvement.

Apr 13, 2014 at 09:47 AM
bluerose311

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Javier Crespin wrote:
Hello all

Can you please tell me how you feel after shooting a ceremony/wedding function? I am exhausted and very sore. Is this normal? I am an active shooter-standing on chairs, laying down crouching etc.

Secondly how do you light the stage when doing family photos after the ceremony (forget the technical names for those shots)? Strobes? Umbrellas? Hand held? assistants? I cant get these shots right, any help would be appreciated.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5171/13667526173_b96698d162_b.jpg

JavierCrespin
https://www.facebook.com/CrespinPhotography?ref=hl

Hey, it is normal to be sore after a wedding. I am not sure how many you have shot but I do notice int he winter I am more sore since the gap between weddings is longer. In the summer we shoot one every weekend and I can tell my body will get used to it and wont be as sore after each wedding. It helps if you eat ALOT and drink water during the entire weddings. Also shoes are sooo important. wear comfort shoes with arch support or get a shoe arch support insert if you need to wear fancy dress shoes. I am a female and wear black sketchers go walks, they arent gorgeous but they arent too ugly, they just sort of blend in. and they have saved my legs/knees from lots of pain afterwards.

As far as lighting the church stage. I try to avoid shooting there since it really is never that good looking and doesnt fit my photography style but if its requested then I would just use a pocket wizzard with off camera flash and a shoot through umbrella.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Welcome to the FM forums BlueRose. You do great work. Hmm never thought of that--- maybe taking it outdoors. Brilliant!

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Well come to think of it I did but not as a common practice.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

Eyeball wrote:
It appears to me that your flash is under-powered or you are not correctly balancing flash to ambient. On formals like these, you don't have to make the shot look like it was taken with ambient light. It can be a good thing to have the subjects more brightly lit than the background, although you normally don't want the background so dark that you get a cave effect either. Both of your posted images could use more light on the subjects and/or less on the background but particularly #2.

Gelling the flash can be helpful in some circumstances but #2 appears
...Show more

Very good insight. You have a good eye (no pun intended) on the tinting which was a +10 magenta in Lightroom color temperature settings.

As far as posing I agree-I was being rushed and they werent paying attention, typical teenagers.

I have decided to go with a single strobe wireless trigger w/ diffuser 4-6 feet to my right and go from there on my next event.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2 wedding questions-info needed-

You get used to weddings, learn how to move, when to exert yourself, ect... It's kind of like playing a sport. Things slow down after a while.

We shot a 13 hour wedding on Friday and worked till about 4am (which was actually 6am our time). I was fine yesterday, even on 5 hours sleep... Though drinking wine on a Nicaraguan beach probably helped a bit with that.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.