New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony warranty repair?

Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony warranty repair?

Have an FE 35/2.8 that works great, but the lens cap has separated from the interior part that holds it to the lens and so it won't stay on securely. I might could repair it with a dab of crazy glue, but I figure it should be under warranty and if my repair were unsuccessful, I might void the warranty. I bought the lens from B&H in November. Anyone know how to go about getting a repair or replacement? How is Sony on these kinds of things? I assume this is Sony, and not Zeiss correct? Thx for any info!

Apr 11, 2014 at 05:06 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony warranty repair?

Call them. Google Sony Warranty support. Be prepared to get transfered. You will probably send the lens to texas for a month or so.

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:23 PM
DtEW
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony warranty repair?

I had a SEL50F18 that developed a noise. I called Sony and they shipped me a prepaid box. Lens went out to Texas for about 3 days, and came back 2nd-day Air. A new lens with a serial number sticker transfer.

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:38 PM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony warranty repair?

I had an A99 that wasn't functioning properly, called Sony and got a RMA, had a new A99 about a week after I shipped mine. Good service.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:13 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony warranty repair?

I had an RX-1 with dust on the sensor (How could that happen?). Same good experience as Joychris on Sony's turnaround.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:33 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony warranty repair?

uhoh7 wrote:
Call them. Google Sony Warranty support. Be prepared to get transfered. You will probably send the lens to texas for a month or so.

This your experience or your speculation?

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:52 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony warranty repair?

they replaced the rear lcd unit for my a99 in about a week.

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:59 PM
partitura
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony warranty repair?

I have an LA-EA4 adapter that had a defect in the mirror. I sent it in to Laredo for repair. It has now been almost a month and I still don't have it back. Apparently the necessary replacement part is back ordered.

The worst part is that I was told multiple times that I was scheduled to receive a new LA-EA4 and I was even given a number for the replacement. But it never arrived and after finally escalating my calls to a supervisor, I was told that in fact that they were not sending me a new unit, but rather making the repair on mine, that the necessary part was back ordered, and that I would just have to wait.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony warranty repair?

I had a DT 16-50 SSM that had an AF motor failure, Sony replaced the unit (took a while, I got one of the first copies to hit Canada, had to wait for the second shipment to get the replacement).

They were also very quick to repair the grip peeling issue my NEX-7 had.

Both cases were handled via my local Sony Store.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony warranty repair?

Thx for all the comments. My lens is back from Sony, fixed, at no charge. My experience was great!

Apr 24, 2014 at 09:55 PM
cengell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony warranty repair?

Hello all, Luvwine, did you or anybody else need to send proof of warranty (sales receipt) why I asked is I just purchased from a FM member that purchased threw his Sony employee discount and I have the sales receipt he sent but shows 4 55mm 1.8 with his name on the receipt of course, but wanted to know if Sony requires the sales receipt to do warranty repair?

Thanks for any help
Christopher

May 03, 2014 at 10:11 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony warranty repair?

@cengell - I've sent mine in with a receipt (print off of email from Amazon), which they requested. I've heard people say that Sony has honored the warranty of used and resold gear with the original receipt. I've never tested this, so hopefully someone has an analogous firsthand experience.

FWIW, I also had a great experience with Sony service.

May 05, 2014 at 11:31 AM
pmrphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony warranty repair?

I'm pretty upset. I dropped a 24mm f/1.8 Zeiss onto my garage floor. there is a tiny dent in the rear part of the lens and a slight dimple in the mount. The lens works great on all my bodies and AF is accurate. it just mounts a little rough because the rear mount is no longer perfectly round. I just got a note from Sony saying it's un-economical to repair and they offered to sell me a new one for $817!!!! That's crazy. I'll be looking for an alternative for the repair, obviously... I think the whole thing will be fixable with just a rear mount replacement...

I'm unimpressed with Sony repair right now... pm-r

May 19, 2014 at 07:35 PM
cengell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony warranty repair?

Wow sorry to hear that pmrphoto, I think camera company's are getting to a point that they must make money and maybe a lot as I have a Canon new lens that the rear main pcb that has the gold contacts attached as the part cost $50.00 but Canon wanted $275 to replace.

Did you tell Sony that you dropped it? If not maybe they noticed that it was dropped and then go to them saying un-economical without really saying that we can change the mount for $100 and can't say for a fact that we may find more damage and it may be more, instead they say what they did.

If it was me and you did not ask maybe find a local or call KEH.com and they offer repairs and maybe they can get the lens mount and replace for much less $$.

Update us when you do something.

Good luck!
Christopher

May 19, 2014 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.