Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Patrick Cox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Hello,
My current backpack is a Gura Gear 18L and that bag was purchased to use with my Nikon D600 system. That is a really great backpack but I have since sold my Nikon system and am using a Sony A7 with several smaller prime lenses and I am hoping to move to a little different style of backpack. I think the general capacity of my pack is OK (18 liters), however I would prefer that there was a bit less space for my camera and lenses and then instead have some space for other outdoor/hiking gear. I will primarily use this for day hiking nature and landscape photography. So maybe a light jacket, water, snacks...etc would be stored in the bag along with my camera, lenses and tripod. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Pat

Apr 11, 2014 at 06:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

well, what are you looking at?

Apr 11, 2014 at 07:19 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

sjms wrote:
well, what are you looking at?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Well, here are my thoughts on the bags I have looked at on line and considered to this point... (Also come personal experience factored in.)

1. Gura Gear - I see they have a new bag out but to be honest, it doesn't look like an accessible hiking pack and I know that the Bataflae 18L that I currently have is great quality but not the exact design I am looking for. It is all camera storage.

2. Think Tank - Think tank also doesn't seem to offer a pack with a mix of storage options. They all seem to be 90% camera gear storage. I used an Airport Antidote (smallest pack) for a couple of years and did like that bag but again, not the design I am looking for now.

3. Lowepro - Not a huge Lowepro fan as in general I haven't found their quality to be on par with Think Tank or Gura Gear but I have not seen one in a while so I could be wrong about current state. If I look at their product pages, the Photo Sport looks to be along the lines of what I had in mind but the photo storage might be too small on this bag. My photo gear would be a Sony A7 and say 3 prime lenses.

4. Clik Elite - I don't really know much about their packs.

5. f-stop - I don't really know much about their packs either but I understand they are high quality. I looked at their website and the Kenti looks interesting.

So, that is what I have considered so far. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:19 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Check out Mindshift Gear, too. Their Rotation180 Panorama looks like a nice smaller pack actually designed for backpacking.

What do you mean exactly by "accessible"? You mentioned Gura Gear's Uinta not being "accessible" but to me it looks like a great all-purpose pack, albeit about 50% larger than your current Gura Gear. I have an F-Stop Guru, which is about the same size as the Uinta and very well designed, but camera gear can only be accessed through the back panel so it's not as flexible as something like the Kenti or the Mindshift packs.

Edited on Apr 11, 2014 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Apr 11, 2014 at 09:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Patrick Cox wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Well, here are my thoughts on the bags I have looked at on line and considered to this point... (Also come personal experience factored in.)

1. Gura Gear - I see they have a new bag out but to be honest, it doesn't look like an accessible hiking pack and I know that the Bataflae 18L that I currently have is great quality but not the exact design I am looking for. It is all camera storage.

2. Think Tank - Think tank also doesn't seem to offer a pack with a mix of storage options. They
...Show more

i have 2 FStop packs the Loka and the Satori EXP. they are not cheap but they are versatile. you can vary your packing to do both using their ICU's

just remember to take into account the gear other then your camera stuff for sizing. that will be highly variable.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

After looking more closely at f-stop I am seriously considering the f-stop Kenti. It looks like a great bag. Thanks.

Apr 12, 2014 at 01:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

i think you are looking a little small.

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:13 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

sjms wrote:
i think you are looking a little small.

Thanks, yes, it is difficult when you can't see a bag in person. My thought was that my current Gura Gear bag is 18 liters and the Kenti is 25 liters and the 18 liters on the Gura is more than I need for my photo gear so it seemed like the right size. Still deciding...

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

For gear of that size and weight, I find it much more comfortable to use a true hiking backpack, and just put the camera stuff in an insert. Even the better dedicated camera bags are bulky and heavy compared to a good Gregory or Osprey bag.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

here is a Loka. in it is a medium ICU. in this particular setup the upper 1/3 of the pack is available for other gear the camera equipment. they have multiple size ICU units. you decide how much of what you want to go in and go with. now SS is near correct on some of the advantages of some non camera specific products and F-stop is less camera specific then most. it in the end is what, where, when, how and why that is up to you.

now what i have shown you is what i carry but again there are options available here. that setup for me is not a cold weather option.

NIKON D610    24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0 lens    35mm    f/8.0    10s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM · View previous versions

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Intended climate is a key issue -- I use different bags in different weather, and it's not simply a matter capacity. Particularly in the Southwest, a hydration bladder sleeve and a trampoline back (ie, it doesn't touch most of your back) are very important to me, which rules out the vast majority of dedicated camera bags. That obviously isn't a factor for every person or every situation, and as SJMS points out, there are some good bags.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I went out for a half day of shooting today and loaded my gear up in my Gura Gear Bataflae 18L and as I expected, this bag is way too big. I think the issue is more about the size of my camera and lenses vs the size of gear the bag was intended to carry. I am using small Sony and Zeiss lenses and the small mirrorless A7 and this bag was designed to carry large professional bodies and zoom lenses. So my gear is being tossed around in the bag because the compartments are just too big.

So, still taking suggestions for a smaller backpack designed for smaller gear - if one exists.

Thanks

BTW, here is a shot from today.

Apr 16, 2014 at 02:11 AM
NeoTiger

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

I've gone through a very similar thought process, looking for a backpack to carry a mirrorless system camera (also Sony A7 here), a few lenses, and other general items.

Single shoulder carry (including sling bags) do get tiring for me after a while. I do really like the Incase DSLR Sling though, when I don't need to carry much weight.

For backpacks, I've thought about the following (but don't own):
- F-Stop Kenti
- Kata 3N1-20 DL
- Ona Bags Bolton Street
- Crumpler Local Identity S (I have this one, it's good, but feels overly large for not a lot of space)

Apr 16, 2014 at 09:20 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Patrick Cox wrote:
I wanted to follow up on this thread. I went out for a half day of shooting today and loaded my gear up in my Gura Gear Bataflae 18L and as I expected, this bag is way too big. I think the issue is more about the size of my camera and lenses vs the size of gear the bag was intended to carry. I am using small Sony and Zeiss lenses and the small mirrorless A7 and this bag was designed to carry large professional bodies and zoom lenses. So my gear is being tossed around in the
...Show more

The problem with most gura gear bags is they're designed to hold only camera gear, so balancing a small camera load is complicated. That's why a system that uses separate multi-sized camera units within a backpack are your best best (like F-Stop's ICUs or the new modules for the GG Uinta), or a smaller backpack designed for camera and other gear (like the F-Stop Kenti, some Click-Elite packs or some LowePros).

An F-Stop Guru with a small or medium shallow ICU would be the best bet. But that might be spendier and slightly larger than you want. A Clik Elite probody Sport is another options or LowePro Photo Hatchback.

Apr 16, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

pipspeak wrote:
The problem with most gura gear bags is they're designed to hold only camera gear, so balancing a small camera load is complicated. That's why a system that uses separate multi-sized camera units within a backpack are your best best (like F-Stop's ICUs or the new modules for the GG Uinta), or a smaller backpack designed for camera and other gear (like the F-Stop Kenti, some Click-Elite packs or some LowePros).

An F-Stop Guru with a small or medium shallow ICU would be the best bet. But that might be spendier and slightly larger than you want. A Clik Elite probody
...Show more

This is helpful. Thanks.

Apr 16, 2014 at 06:37 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

You should get a domke insert for use with any bag. I usually carry my a7 or nex in my hand all day and keep the accessories in a small bag.

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:36 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
You should get a domke insert for use with any bag. I usually carry my a7 or nex in my hand all day and keep the accessories in a small bag.

I think to make this a workable solution for me, the backpack would need to have panel access, either front or back, so the insert did not have to be totally removed every time I wanted to shoot or change lenses. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

Particularly with the size/weight of the camera and lenses you're talking about, simpler is probably better. I often use a Mountainsmith insert that is super lightweight, and it is easily accessed from the top. There are some other brands that are even smaller, and maybe be a better fit.

Apr 17, 2014 at 04:06 PM
robfactory

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

I agree with Smiert. I tend to use different bags (3) depending on the day I will shoot. Why carry a one size fits all? If I'm hitting the streets to do some urban exploring, I shoot my a small side bag. If I'm going out into the a camping area, then I will use someone like what you have.

Apr 25, 2014 at 08:01 PM
pinhole

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mirrorless System Backpack - Sony A7

That's a good idea--I generally carry my camera in an insert, or find a hiking backpack that can accommodate it.

Apr 28, 2014 at 01:06 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password