New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · China RF Question

RLDubbya
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · China RF Question

I have an upcoming photo shoot in Beijing, which is just screaming for multiple Speedlights controlled by RadioPoppers or equivalent.

This shoot will have a lot of government officials present, and we'll be there for a couple weeks. I've never done anything in China, and am a bit concerned about the RF spectrum: can I just use the US models in China?

I asked the folks at RadioPoppers, but they weren't quite sure.

I have this recurring nightmare about Chinese police, all my gear being "confiscated", and body cavity searches.

Does anybody have any experience shooting in China?

Many thanks.

BobW

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:49 AM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · China RF Question

Maybe get some Chinese triggers. You could email Yongnuo (the best Chinese triggers, IMO) and see if they can accommodate you.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:42 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · China RF Question

I rather doubt that a Chinese made trigger is making them with a U.S. RF signal. If anything they would work better there.

Apr 11, 2014 at 08:50 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · China RF Question

I have shot a few commercial jobs in Shanghai without incident. I've used pocket wizards both outdoors and in studio. I even grabbed a model and ran into the street to get some run-n-gun shots without permits - don't know that I really needed them.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/frequency/

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:20 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · China RF Question

Thanks Deezie. Sounds like Pocket Wizards might be the way to go. This shoot will be in a national training center with Olympic athletes, so I don't want to risk equipment malfunction nor any sort of RF interference with any electronic equipment used by the coaching staff.

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · China RF Question

The 2.4 GHz band of something like a 600ex-rt is allowable unlicensed in China. PocketWizard sells a different model that covers the China market, using 433 MHz instead of the 344 MHz of the US model.

Unfortunately I could not find anything specific for Chinese regulations about the 915 MHz ISM band that RadioPoppers use.

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · China RF Question

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
The 2.4 GHz band of something like a 600ex-rt is allowable unlicensed in China. PocketWizard sells a different model that covers the China market, using 433 MHz instead of the 344 MHz of the US model.

Unfortunately I could not find anything specific for Chinese regulations about the 915 MHz ISM band that RadioPoppers use.

Thanks.

Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge, been dealing with some health issues that have kept me occupied.

Really appreciate everybody's thoughtful input. What I don't want to do, since this is the national training center, and the staff will be using who knows what electronics for coaching their elite athletes, is go down the road of playing fast and loose, and hoping it works out.

PocketWizards it is.

May 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.