New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

Trying to find if aftermarket lens hoods exist for 500 F4 II that may be shorter than the OEM hood without any luck. Some people on the net have created their own but I will not be able to do so.

Anyone here know if there are third party carbon fiber lens hoods available for super teles, specifically 500F4 & 300 f2.8 IS V1? Motivation is to reduce the overall length of lens + mounted hood for hiking.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

there is a soft lens hood made by Aquatech but it is pricey...and if you use it a lot like I did (do), it will wear out...

You might try not using a lens hood - I don't these days for my 800 F5.6 and have not had a problem with flare. But yes I would understand anyone's concerns about the front glass being too exposed to scratches/fingerprints without the hood.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

I used to go without a hood some with my old 400mm DO, maybe I was lucky, but I had minimal flare issues.

Apr 11, 2014 at 02:48 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

rdcny wrote:
there is a soft lens hood made by Aquatech but it is pricey...and if you use it a lot like I did (do), it will wear out...

You might try not using a lens hood - I don't these days for my 800 F5.6 and have not had a problem with flare. But yes I would understand anyone's concerns about the front glass being too exposed to scratches/fingerprints without the hood.

Thanks for the reply, I am not as concerned about flare with the lens hood as some protection specially when it is in the hiking backpack. Don Zeck lens cap has worked fairly for me but not as effective as the hood attached.

Apr 11, 2014 at 03:40 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

If you wanted to spend $639, you could buy another Canon hood for the 500 II, and cut it down to the length you want. If you work carefully, the carbon fiber should cut OK with a fine pitch hack saw blade. You may even be able to take the rubber rim off the hood and glue it back on the front of the cut down hood. But that is not something I would ever spend the money for to carry either of my big lenses.

If the main concern is for when the lens is in the backpack, you probably should make some protector that can live in the backpack, and that accepts the front of the lens. A padded flat plate with a rim or edge of some sort sticking up to keep the lens centered may be easy to build. Or just a padded flat plate that the front of the lens rests against would protect the front, but could stay in the backpack as you extract the lens. If you work it right, any plate type solution should function either with the normal hood on and stored in the reversed position, or with the hood not even on the lens.

Apr 11, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

Save $639. Cut the one you have.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

Go visit a job shop machining company and show them the original hood. Someone might take interest in fabricating a thin lightweight aluminum hood for you........

Karl

Apr 12, 2014 at 02:22 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

Karl Witt wrote:
Go visit a job shop machining company and show them the original hood. Someone might take interest in fabricating a thin lightweight aluminum hood for you........

Karl

Thanks Karl, on the other hand I have been itching to try out 3D printers, so this may be a good case study once bandwidth allows.

I had seen someone with a CF short hood on a Nikon 600 F4 in Katami last year so was hoping there is an commercial option.

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:32 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

thedut....what you may have saw on the nikon shooter....was only one of the two parts of the hood. I have a friend who has a 400 2.8...and he usually only uses the short first part.

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

Have you seen this?

http://garyluhm.net/handheld-super-telephoto-lens-hood/

GIYF.

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:38 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

jcolwell wrote:
Have you seen this?

http://garyluhm.net/handheld-super-telephoto-lens-hood/

GIYF.

Yes but way out of my experience / patience / capabilities

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Scott T
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Aftermarket lens hood for 500 F4 II

I have the medium aquatech soft hood, on the box it says it's for a 300/2.8 and 500/4.
It is about 8.5" overall, about 6" of it actually extends past the lens.

I bought it for the space savings over the metal one, it rolls out flat and fit perfectly in my camera bag.

I haven't looked in awhile, but that's the only aftermarket option I found for a canon hood.

Good luck!

Apr 12, 2014 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.